Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steve Miller Band Flies High in Ryman Return (Review and Pics)

Jet Airliner is as prog as it gets..... (says no one). I like early Steve Miller, but whoa, Prog is a stretch. There is a lot to love up to The Joker, but Prog? No.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Here's hoping the "alien planet" that birthed "Key To the Highway" has long since been incinerated by the space gods of good taste.
    Well, that's the other thing about ALL of his early albums; no matter the heights, there are almost always as many lows amidst. His/their version of "Key" would undoubtedly have Charlie and Big Bill turn over in their coffins.

Much of the rest, however - is often well worth a listen or two. Or sometimes even more.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    There is a lot to love up to The Joker, but Prog? No.
    No one in here is claiming that. Luckily so.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I suppose I find Jimmy Buffet as annoying, but a lot of that is his drunken aging-frat-bro fans, and he's said to be a fairly nice guy personally, even if his music's cheesy.
    Buffet - now that would be like having high fructose corn syrup poured in your ear with a shaker of pretzel salt. That's one i'll never "get".

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Buffet - now that would be like having high fructose corn syrup poured in your ear with a shaker of pretzel salt. That's one i'll never "get".
    Real easy to get. Jimmy sells a Caribbean Island lifestyle fantasy. Plenty of boats, rum, and just enough island culture mixed with the FolkRock/Country/Americana to evoke an idea of sunny climes. I'm not a huge fan, but I can certainly understand the appeal.

I don't see how Miller's version of psych blues is that much different from earlier proto prog acts like (Germany's) Toad, UK's Armageddon (or many other acts of that era) that were also very blues oriented other than Miller got more popular over the long run. At any rate, to each their own. I enjoyed Miller's earlier efforts as well no matter what they were.

Oddly (well, maybe not), it's his worst music that got him (undeservingly) into the R&R HOF.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Oddly (well, maybe not), it's his worst music that got him (undeservingly) into the R&R HOF.
    True. He wouldn't be there for "Song for Our Ancestors" or "Dear Mary", that's fairly certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    True. He wouldn't be there for "Song for Our Ancestors" or "Dear Mary", that's fairly certain.
    Nope, he's there for gems like, "Billy Mack is a detective down in Texas. You know he knows just exactly what the facts is."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Nope, he's there for gems like, "Billy Mack is a detective down in Texas. You know he knows just exactly what the facts is."
    Or,
    "...and some people call me Maurrrice [BWEEEP-BWEEEEW!!] 'cause I speak of the pompatus(?!?!?!?!) of love."

For writing lyrics that clank, I can't think of anyone to equal him.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 04-01-2017 at 01:39 PM.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Real easy to get. Jimmy sells a Caribbean Island lifestyle fantasy. Plenty of boats, rum, and just enough island culture mixed with the FolkRock/Country/Americana to evoke an idea of sunny climes. I'm not a huge fan, but I can certainly understand the appeal.
    Don't forget the smoke! Floating bales and bales of it.

As for Miller, not my style for the most part. I did hear he is touring with Peter Frampton this summer. Carol Miller mentioned on her show that they both will jam on each other songs, and that they will be playing at the Mountain Jam this summer.

I do like me some Frampton every now and then...
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson