Thread: Wendy Carlos' birthday is November 14

Wendy Carlos' birthday is November 14

To my knowledge though she hasn't been heard from since 2009. Her website is in a state of stasis.

Anybody know if she's alright?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Good question. I don't know the answer. Last time I visited her website was the last time I was lucky enough to find one of her CDs in a used CD store. You don't find those often.

Her website copyright says 1996-2012.
    Also, you can ask. Email is webmaster@wendycarlos.com.

I did. A few times. No response.

Nothing on the website has changed since Feb '09.

Well, if Nash the Slash can retire, she could, too, considering that she's 72 and her career has trailed off. Plus, she's always been reclusive.

meimjustalawnmower
    This always reminds me of one day when a woman came into the CD store where I worked, and we had separate header cards for "Walter" and "Wendy". She asked me if they were related. I said "Yes... they are very closely related."

I interviewed Larry Fast earlier this year for my podcast, and Wendy Carlos' name came up. He referred to her in the present tense as "She's a good friend of mine." So there's that. Can't vouch for any musical output, though.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

I was wondering about her as well. Her CD's aren't easy to find. The only thing I ever found was the Switched on box.

If there is one musician I would love to meet, it's her.

There is not much activity on her website, which I think is in need of some redesign (but who am I to say so).