Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comparison: Gimour & Howe

In the song Money, it goes from 7/8 to 4/4 time for Dave's solo, because Dave couldn't solo in 7/8 time. Read into that what you will.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Did Floyd ever do ANYTHING in an odd time signature?

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    In the song Money, it goes from 7/8 to 4/4 time for Dave's solo, because Dave couldn't solo in 7/8 time. Read into that what you will.
    And on Shine On You Crazy Diamond he made one of the best uses of four notes since (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction. Read into that what you will.

Oh and don't forget the great intro to Sorrow, the harmony guitars on Dogs, the "runaway" delay effects on the live versions of the live versions of A Saucerful Of Secrets, the seagulls on Echoes (created by plugging his wah wah pedal in backwards), and the snatch of the Doctor Who theme in One Of These Days (I can't remember if he does it on the studio version, but you hear it on the live versions, like on Delicate Sound Of Thunder or Pulse).

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Did Floyd ever do ANYTHING in an odd time signature?
    Money is (mostly) in 7/8, apart from the guitar solos.

Much of this observation is detailed ... more so....In the minds of musicians and misunderstood by people who are intelligent, but have never played an instrument themselves. It never crossed my mind to compare anyone unless in defense against the arrogant insults brought about through blindness. It's okay to say that Howe has finer technique than Gilmour. It's just a fact. But that doesn't lessen my appreciation for David Gilmour in the least. It's just a matter of taste. But if comparing the two as players and observing detail just for fun we can establish that Steve Howe is a Classical player and David Gilmour is not. However Gilmour plays beautiful acoustic guitar work. They are both fine writers. David Gilmour is more of a Blues player. Sometimes he reminds me of Peter Green or the early Eric Clapton with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. He also has a touch of Jeff Beck to degrees and the slightness of Jimi Hendrix which is indicated on "Echoes". The slide guitar on " One Of These Days" is very bluesy. I believe David Gilmour is influenced by Syd Barrett's songwriting to a degree. Not based too much off of Piper, but Syd Barrett's solo period. For example, the song "Mother" sounds like a song Barrett would have written. Even the vocal sounds like Barrett's phrasing.

Steve Howe had the Classical influence, the jazzy Jim Hall effect, the "Travis picking" style for Ragtime and Folk , his mandolin playing and his Rock leads in songs like "Parallels​", "I've Seen All Good People", and "Close To The Edge" were challenging and beautiful. He was a ball of energy on stage! Watch his head bopping up and down on the Yessongs film to see for yourself. David Gilmour was the opposite. A less pronounced hyperactive​ kind of player who made the guitar cry. David Gilmour had a sophisticated tone like Duane Allman. Gilmour has that certain haunting guitar tone derived from the British Blues Movement during a point in history when the British guitarists were cementing Blues licks and string bending into Rock music, more so done differently than it had ever been done before. Gilmour seemed to take that style of playing steps further on the Pink Floyd albums. Both guitarists are unique. It's silly to compare them when you consider your personal mood swings in desiring to hear either one of them at a given moment and when acknowledging the importance of what either one of them have done for music.