Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bracket: Remember The Future vs Recycled

Bracket: Remember The Future vs Recycled

Bracket: Remember The Future vs Recycled
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

RtF contains better themes and even wins for the disco tune on side 2 alone. It never fails to get my breasts swingin' around while I dance and tote my umbrella drink.

I never warmed to side 1 of Recycled, but the flip is great fun. "Moses" or wuzzizname was always my single fave song of theirs. Some disco on that album too, IIRC. Been a while since I pulled this one out; I tend to prefer their rawer earlier space-rock/heavy progressive stuff the most - Tab and such. Blistering guitars galores all over, of course.

Solid band, this.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

For me, and I'm sure I'm the outlier here, but Down To Earth is hands down my favorite by the band.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Remember The Future!!! (Recycled and A Tab In The Ocean are close behind.)
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I'm the outlier here, but Down To Earth is hands down my favorite
    That's interesting, because I always felt this to be their single most underrated disc as well... From the "classic" era, that is. I once had a lengthy talk on this topic with some dudes at a Prog festival here in Oslo, where it suddenly occurred to me that the main reason for DtE being held in somewhat less regard was simply and exclusively that it contains "songs" rather than purported "works". Which is all the more telling, seeing as their longer structures were usually basically merely medleys anyway (albeit awesome ones!), rather than integrally arranged, unified pieces. I'd certainly agree that the "song form" actually fit them quite well and that DtE indeed has some of their most compellingly melodic material.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Gotta go with Recycled, one of the few albums that has consistently worked for me for over 40 years.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

For me, and I'm sure I'm the outlier here, but Down To Earth is hands down my favorite by the band.
    Yeah, that's definitely an outlier viewpoint. I bought that album back in the 80s, and it was the first Nektar album I bought. Put me off checking out their other work for years.

oh, good god, this is a tough call - restricting my comments to the 2 disks in the title not the rest of their output.

so, RtF is better, in my opinion. but i *like* recycled better since i can't help but give this album the credit as *the* album that made me a prog fan.

how's that for staying on the fence?

Remember the Future.

Where is the whole bracket?

Was there play in games (contests)?

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post

Was there play in games (contests)?
    There were, but they were all non-Prog-Rock albums, and were easily dispatched by the high seeds.

Remember The Future is my favorite album by Nektar , it was my introduction to the band and I love it , but... I think Recycled is the better album .

You're one of them. I'm probably the other one. At one time, Remember The Future was my fave. But over time, Down To Earth has taken over. Recycled is one of my least favorites.

Remember the Future (but A Tab in the Ocean is their definitive work).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

RtF...or...Recycled????........I have to flip a coin. It's THAT close for me...................as the other poster stated: A Tab in the Ocean is their definitive work.

For the Statistician who is keeping score, please give a point to each side.
    G.A.S -aholic

RtF.

However.... when Recycled was released, I thought that this band was finally going to make it big time.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

RTF by far.

Recycled. It actually took a while for RTF to grow on me, but I loved Recycled immediately. Love both of ’em now, but still love Recycled more.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

A Tab in the Ocean.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Seriously, though, it is a tough call. One of my favorite bands. I love every release. But, my fave is Tab. I would probably give the edge to Recycled. Larry Fast brings it to a different level.

I actually like RTF part 2 better than part 1. I think the melodies are better. Either way, a magnificent piece.

I also love "...Sounds Like This." A bit rough around the edges. Playing like a very hungry band at the time.

Best part of Nektar is that every release is different. A vastly underrated (or, at least, under-appreciated) pioneer of Progressive Music.

The thing that really hurt them was releasing DTE after RTF, when they already had Recycled in the can. People got hooked on RTF and expected longer pieces and got a "songs" album. (Mick, please correct me if I'm wrong.) But, I think if they saved DTE until after Recycled, they could have benefited.

Then Roye quit not much later.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Do I get a yellow or red card for never hearing Recycled?

Tough one……I love both albums, but would probably have to give “Remember The Future” the nod.

RTF and Tab were my introduction to Nektar. I do like Recycled, but the second part of RTF hits it right on the spot for me.

I don't hear much disco although there is what I would call funk in the second part (Let it Grow). I could see some people thinking the second side of Recycled has disco sounding parts though. I think Larry Fast makes Recycled a close competitor to RTF. Great arrangements on both.

The lyrics of both albums are particularly strong but I think RTF beats out.

Easier to compare these two than to DTE since these are more epic suites.

Like a lot of Nektar heads have already said, each album is so different from the other and this befuddles a lot of the critics and categorizers but I loved them for it.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Do I get a yellow or red card for never hearing Recycled?
    That's actually illicit. You'll have to emigrate to SnakeOil or whatduhellzizname now.