Thread: Classical compositions used in prog, or which might have inspired to a specific track

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ya know, it's funny that there are people drawing comparisons between Ligeti and ELP, because the first time I heard the Mechanical Music disc in Sony's Ligeti Edition series from the late 90's, I thought some of the barrel organ recordings reminded me of Keith Emerson. I also remember being chastised on the old AOL classical music board for making that suggestion (they didn't like any suggestion that there was any serious link between rock or pop music of any kind of classical or jazz).

I think it's more likely that Keith would have listened to György, rather than the other way around, ie it's Keith's music that sounds like György. I don't know how common recordings of Ligeti's piano music (which is basically what we're talking about here) was in the late 60's or early 70's, but we know Keith was listening to 20th century composers like Ginastera, Copland, and Rodrigo, so it's feasible that he would have heard Ligeti if such opportunity had been afforded to him.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I think it's more likely that Keith would have listened to György, rather than the other way around, ie it's Keith's music that sounds like György. I don't know how common recordings of Ligeti's piano music (which is basically what we're talking about here) was in the late 60's or early 70's, but we know Keith was listening to 20th century composers like Ginastera, Copland, and Rodrigo, so it's feasible that he would have heard Ligeti if such opportunity had been afforded to him.
    Anyone who has seen 2001: A Space Odyssey has heard Ligeti: Requiem for Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, 2 Mixed Choirs and Orchestra; Lux Aeterna; Atmosphères.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Anyone who has seen 2001: A Space Odyssey has heard Ligeti: Requiem for Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, 2 Mixed Choirs and Orchestra; Lux Aeterna; Atmosphères.
    Well, yes, point taken. But the music that was used in 2001: A Space Odyssey is very different from Ligeti's solo keyboard work. I can't imagine anyone coming up with music that sounds like Ligeti's piano pieces from seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey.