Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classical compositions used in prog, or which might have inspired to a specific track

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I think it's more likely that Keith would have listened to György, rather than the other way around, ie it's Keith's music that sounds like György. I don't know how common recordings of Ligeti's piano music (which is basically what we're talking about here) was in the late 60's or early 70's, but we know Keith was listening to 20th century composers like Ginastera, Copland, and Rodrigo, so it's feasible that he would have heard Ligeti if such opportunity had been afforded to him.
    Anyone who has seen 2001: A Space Odyssey has heard Ligeti: Requiem for Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, 2 Mixed Choirs and Orchestra; Lux Aeterna; Atmosphères.

a couple of not so much discussed bands that interpreted classical music

In my case I'm often hearing what's being applied to a piece more so than focusing on the overall interpretation of a composer, for example, Keith Emerson displayed an amazing feat of fusing the two, Rock and Classical where other artists would add a reflection of a specific Classical composer which rendered a positive and a negative. First the bad news......Typically during that underground Prog movement in the 70's, several of the Progressive Rock bands and Electronic artists did not give credit to the composer, therefore not revealing it's origin let alone having any pursuit in giving credibility to the real source of the idea they formed as a concept album. I'm not saying it was a devious act, however they were definitely on the offense. Not every kid is schooled in the areas of Classical music and so they just thought for years and years that their favorite Prog band wrote all the material.

The good news ...The music was a beautiful experience and what justified combining Classical and Rock was the outcome. I find myself liking those bands a bit more. For example all the Prog bands that borrowed excerpts from Holst The Planets , somewhat discreetly , and producing some wild and adventurous Prog. In the case of a modern composer like Ingram Marshall, uniqueness is re-created. In the piece "Dark Waters" he provides tape created using raw materials garnered from sampling fragments of an old 78 RPM recording from the twenties of "The Swan Of Tuoela" by Sibelius. It's highly processed and the listener forgets about the origin of the material. There's an English horn amplified and processed through digital delay devices. Dark qualities and re-created music through deconstruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Johannes Brahms was also born in Hamburg Germany which is of course how they came up with the name Hamburger Concerto as a play on words. Clever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And one of Bach's sons, Carl Philipp Emanuel, composed a set of Hamburg Concertos.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Los Canarios, 'Ciclos', Spanish band's 1974 double album based on Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

Renaissance:
    Cold Is Being ("Albinoni's" Adagio)
    Running Hard intro (Jehan Alain's Litanies)

Are we going to get that Canarios album posted on every page of this thread?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Anyone who has seen 2001: A Space Odyssey has heard Ligeti: Requiem for Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, 2 Mixed Choirs and Orchestra; Lux Aeterna; Atmosphères.
    Well, yes, point taken. But the music that was used in 2001: A Space Odyssey is very different from Ligeti's solo keyboard work. I can't imagine anyone coming up with music that sounds like Ligeti's piano pieces from seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    ^^^ Hungarian rock seems to be composed in 78 (I thought the music was older), so the resemblance is most likely a coincidence.
    I'd have to go back and listen to the Ligeti CD's I have. I can't remember if Hungarian Rock is the piece that I thought had the resemblance or not (though I realize that's the specific piece we're discussing here). I just remember there were a couple pieces on the Mechanical Music CD that seemed to put me in mind of Keith. But then, as you say, it may have just been a coincidence.

https://youtu.be/_xbhQcVTp8U?t=9323

not too difficult to guess ...
    Last edited by Gorillclub; 03-20-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Gargantua - Le Sacre

Live

Genesis never gave due credit on "Horizons" for lifting a chunk of Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 Prelude in G-Majeur, BWV 1007.

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I'm not sure but to my ears, it sounds like Sacred Sound by IQ begins with a passage from Mozart's 41st symphony "Jupiter".

Am I hearing things or do others agree?

A lesser known ELP classical reference: The Enemy God Dances With The Black Spirits borrows heavily from Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Genesis never gave due credit on "Horizons" for lifting a chunk of Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 Prelude in G-Majeur, BWV 1007.
    True but to be fair, Steve the composer/lifter, has clearly acknowledged that.

On Gentle Giant's "Nothing At All", there's a quote from Liszt's Liebestraum No.3 during the drum solo (right where the piano begins playing along with the drums).

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    A lesser known ELP classical reference: The Enemy God Dances With The Black Spirits borrows heavily from Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances.
    It's actually credited to Prokofiev; it's part of the Scythian Suite.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The beginning and ending of the Across the Waters suite on Triumvirat's debut album, Mediterranean Tales record is an adaptation of the overture to the opera "The Abduction Of The Seraglio" by Mozart.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

A list of all the musical quotes people have found in Keith Emerson music https://www.brain-salad.com/Emerson/quote-list.txt

In the beginning: The fourth movement of Gustav Holst's The Planets, Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity.
    But you all knew that.