Page 82 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3272787980818283848586 LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 2135

Thread: Birders

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Conowingo dam
    Go to Conowingo in October and you might see as many as 200 Bald Eagles at time.
    Chad

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Go to Conowingo in October and you might see as many as 200 Bald Eagles at time.
    Will do.

I put an orange out for the Orioles on Saturday. This little fella has come by yesterday and today. Actually, I don't know if it's the same bird each time, but since I'm not seeing multiples at the same time, I'm assuming it's the same one.

IMG_7381.jpg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I put an orange out for the Orioles on Saturday. This little fella has come by yesterday and today. Actually, I don't know if it's the same bird each time, but since I'm not seeing multiples at the same time, I'm assuming it's the same one.

IMG_7381.jpg
    I got word of the first Oriole sighting in the state of the Orioles, in the town of Cumberland.

IMG_7381.jpg
    Cool!

I'll try the orange and jam thing again.

Last year, only the catbirds were interested - and no orioles.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Cool!

I'll try the orange and jam thing again.

Last year, only the catbirds were interested - and no orioles.
    They love grape jelly! I haven't put any out yet because we have rain forecasted until Friday. The rain will just wash it all away.

EDIT: Just as I hit enter it started hailing like crazy!

Still neither sight nor sound of any orioles around these parts.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I've had jelly and oranges out for a few weeks. Nothing in the yard yet. However, I've seen several Baltimore Orioles and Orchard Orioles while out birding over the last week.
    Chad

I've just switched out all my feeders to safflower seed. I'm trying to discourage the Grackles and Starlings that have been emptying the feeders. Also, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks should be passing through very soon and, apparently, they love the safflower.

Banned
    I've just switched out all my feeders to safflower seed. I'm trying to discourage the Grackles and Starlings that have been emptying the feeders. Also, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks should be passing through very soon and, apparently, they love the safflower.
    Never heard of safflower seed. I’m all sunflower seeds in my feeder, and I had 7 goldfinches on yesterday.

Never heard of safflower seed. I’m all sunflower seeds in my feeder, and I had 7 goldfinches on yesterday.
    A conure (parrot) I used to have absolutely loved safflower seeds.
    Last edited by progmatist; 05-05-2023 at 02:01 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Safflower is a white seed that looks similar to pine nuts (great in pesto! not for birds). Grackles, Starlings and squirrels don't really like it. Grosbeaks are big fans! I have a finch feeder that I keep filled with nyger seed for the Gold Finches, House Finches and other small songbirds. I generally put out safflower for a couple of weeks when our feeder gets overrun with Starlings and Grackles. They find other food sources and then I can go back to my regular seed mix.

https://www.wbu.com/products/straight-seeds/safflower/

A male Rose Breasted Grosbeak visited our feeder this afternoon. I have not seen one of these in the yard before.
    Yay!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

^^ Nice! I've only seen them once in my yard.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    A male Rose Breasted Grosbeak visited our feeder this afternoon. I have not seen one of these in the yard before.
    Yay!
    Yay! Maybe they're heading north. I've been waiting for them.

Finally hearing orioles, as of today. Now I have to actually see one.

I follow a Toronto Birding page on Facebook and a lot of folks reported seeing Rose-breasted Grosbeaks this weekend for the first time this year. Hopefully, they'll find their way to our feeder. We had at least a dozen White-throated Sparrows in the back yard today (our feeder is in the front yard). I've never seen that many at one time.

IMG_7405.jpg

IMG_7404.jpg

Edit: These photos look really grainy here. They are much higher quality than they appear.

We were visited by a female Rose Breasted Grosbeak today. It was kind of surprising to see the bright yellow under the wings.
    It was cool to see another Grosbeak. I have noticed postings about sightings the last couple of days. What a treat.
    FemaleRoseBreastedGrosbeak.jpg
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I used safflower for the same reason.
    Chad

I follow a Toronto Birding page on Facebook and a lot of folks reported seeing Rose-breasted Grosbeaks this weekend for the first time this year. Hopefully, they'll find their way to our feeder. We had at least a dozen White-throated Sparrows in the back yard today (our feeder is in the front yard). I've never seen that many at one time.

IMG_7405.jpg

IMG_7404.jpg

Edit: These photos look really grainy here. They are much higher quality than they appear.
    Strange but I hear these birds all the time around my house but yet to have seen one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I literally just saw a male Rose Breasted Grosbeak at my feeder. Second time ever, and what a coincidence. Wish it would have been yesterday when I had my camera set up.

Banned
    CBS Sunday Morning streamed a bunch of bird videos with bird songs. Look for the Rose-breasted Grosbeak

The Safflower seems to be working. Mr. and Mrs. Rose-breasted Grosbeak graced our feeder today. I have some photos of Mrs. on our lavender bush. Mr. was being camera shy. The female has been back to the feeder a few times this afternoon, but I've yet to see her handsome husband again...yet.

IMG_7420.jpg

For the past week I've been home sick, sitting in the living room with the windows open to our bird feeder. We have had so many Oriole visits that I have finally learned how to recognize their song before I look up and see them.

This morning I put out a fresh orange and grape jelly and had an Oriole within two minutes of refreshing the feeder. I've only seen males so far though, not one female, which I find curious.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Here's a very interesting essay on Birding from the New York Times - highly recommended.

(paywall removed)

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/26/o...smid=url-share