Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 36768283848586
Results 2,126 to 2,143 of 2143

Thread: Birders

^^ I got one, too. I haven't set it up, yet.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of feral roosters and peacocks in the streets these days. It's hilarious.
    There's an island in the middle of the Indian ocean called Diego Garcia. It's British owned, but the entire island is essentially a US Navy base. Feral chickens are the "wildlife" of the island. Disturbing them will earn sailors a trip to Captain's Mast. The Navy version of non-judicial punishment.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    soon the hummingbird feeder will be hung.
    Get it up soon! The hummers should be in Florida any day now!
    Chad

So, should I clean out a bluebird house, or leave it up to them? I know sometimes earlier birds make their homes before the bluebirds get a chance. But, it seems like they never left this year.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    ...and soon the hummingbird feeder will be hung.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Get it up soon! The hummers should be in Florida any day now!
    I'm planning to do this for the first time this year.

Got some good advice from a friend who's been doing it for years, and hope to see several hummers.

We've had a few of them at my Mandevilla flowers in the past, so I expect that they'll be in the area...
    Regards,

Duncan

I've had mine up all winter with a warming light just in case a vagrant (Anna's, Rufous, etc.) wanted to swing by. No luck.
    Chad

My wife took a picture of an albino robin when she went out to go to work. It's not a great picture but I'll see if I can post it when she gets home. It almost looks like a bluejay but she said the chest was orange. I went out back to see if I could see it and I saw a woodcock.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Saw my first, probably last, of the American Avocets of the season. They don't stay long in the Bay Area.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    My wife took a picture of an albino robin when she went out to go to work. It's not a great picture but I'll see if I can post it when she gets home. It almost looks like a bluejay but she said the chest was orange. I went out back to see if I could see it and I saw a woodcock.
    This might be what she saw. https://journeynorth.org/robin/sprin...3_piebald.html
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Saw my first, probably last, of the American Avocets of the season. They don't stay long in the Bay Area.
    Maybe it's just where you are looking for or seeing them. I seen them year-round at the Palo Alto Baylands.

Hobbyist photographer snaps photo of extremely rare bird in 1st U.S. sighting

When hobbyist photographer Michael Sanchez snapped this picture of a blue rock-thrush subspecies on the coast of northern Oregon last week, he didn't know how rare the bird was until he posted it to social media.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

When hobbyist photographer Michael Sanchez snapped this picture of a blue rock-thrush subspecies on the coast of northern Oregon last week, he didn't know how rare the bird was until he posted it to social media.
    I saw this on Facebook. What a find!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

That's pretty cool. And a really great shot considering how difficult it can be to photograph birds.

He keeps showing up for food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody and his buddies (pileated woodpeckers above ^^^) have destroyed half of the wooden mailbox posts in our neighborhood!
    Regards,

Duncan

I put out a hummingbird feeder for the first time, in mid-April. Got a visitor the first day!

I'm now cleaning / re-filling it 2x/week, and we have regular visitors, male and female.

We only get one visitor at a time, so we don't know if it's just one male and one female (or if they're a couple) or if we're seeing several males and females.
    Regards,

Duncan

I saw a red winged blackbird on one of the trails near me today. I also thought I saw a couple of gray catbirds (at least I'm pretty sure that's what they were).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Sitting out on my deck last week, I supped on a few G&Ts, while witching my feeder and my hummingbird feeder and listening to the calls, and runnuig Merlin.

Here's what I heard and saw in around an hour:

Birds - 6-12-2024-2.jpg

(Click to expand, click again to make it much bigger)
    Regards,

Duncan