Thread: Best tool for getting info to tag ripped files?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Best tool for getting info to tag ripped files?

I've used a few tools for this, but what I'd like some advice on is the best tool to use for tagging really recent albums. I just ripped the new La Maschera di Cera CD (the Italian version) but Windows Media Player and MP3 Tagger seem to have no idea what it is. Any suggestions for the most quickly updated tool to use to tag ripped files? MP3 Tagger uses freedb, but I guess freedb doesn't have the info yet. I hate having to type in all the track titles, so I'm trying to avoid that.

TIA!

I also just tried the Kompendium CD, and for both these albums all I get is titles in Japanese characters. Argh...

Tag&Rename.

It's a brilliant tool - I've used it for years, on all of the 3,000+ albums I've ripped.

http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm
    Regards,

Duncan

^ Oh yeah, I used to use that tool and it was good. I just hope it has the info for these albums. That's the problematic part.

Hey Duncan, that worked very well (thanks, Discogs!) except I need to replace the filenames with the track titles. Do you know how to do this offhand? (Right now the file names are in Japanese but the Titles are correct.

Jed,

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ Oh yeah, I used to use that tool and it was good. I just hope it has the info for these albums. That's the problematic part.
    Bear in mind that it gets the song names from the CDDB - same as all other systems. BUT - if it doesn't find the album there, it can ALSO look on Amazon for the album name / track titles / cover art / etc. Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I need to replace the filenames with the track titles. Do you know how to do this offhand? (Right now the file names are in Japanese but the Titles are correct.
    I do that all the time:

The first time you do it:
    • Navigate to the album
    • Click "Rename Files" - the first tab along the top.
    • See the list under "Rename Variables"? Use the combination you need in the "Filename Mask" at the top-left-hand corner. Personally, I want the file names to be track-no, " - ", song name". E.g. "03 - Clockwork Angels.mp3". For that, I enter "%1 - %2" into the File Name Mask. (This seems complicated, but you only do it once.)
    • Make sure all songs are checked, or selected, in the song list.
    • Click the "Rename" button

Subsequent times:
    • Open the album
    • Make sure all songs are selected
    • Click "Rename"
    Regards,

Duncan

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, Jed, but I use this:

mp3tag
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The free version of MediaMonkey works great for me. Renames files, tags files, embeds album art, etc.. Check it out if the other suggestions don't work out for ya'.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/download/

Thanks, Duncan. Again, I'd used this tool a lot in the past. I just needed your reassuring explanation to get me to focus on the damned interface.

Scott, thanks, I do use mp3tag, but somehow it wasn't meeting my needs. But it's been a useful tool for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, Jed, but I use this:

mp3tag
    Yeah. I'm pretty happy with this so far.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.