Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters new album - "Is This The Life We Really Want?"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I actually meant to say it's the first Waters studio album since AtD that I haven't bought right away.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I actually meant to say it's the first Waters studio album since AtD that I haven't bought right away.
    Same here, but I finally did pick it up a while ago. I like it. It is not Pink Floyd level and I would probably rate "Amused To Death" higher, but I think it is better than "Chaos" or "Pros And Cons".

I had a little listen to this recently, musically weak and repetitive - same old RW spitting his twisted poison while offering no solutions.

I still think this is brilliant album.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Still the best rock album of 2017, AFAIAC

Mind you, 17 was not a very strong year (like 2015 was)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I wonder if it would work to construct an alternate "what if?" Pink Floyd album using this one, Rattle that Lock and The Endless River as sources. Maybe combining the best of those would even out the weaknesses of each of them. Getting the tracking order to sound right, like an actual album would be a fun challenge.

Indeed, if a 70 year old veteran rocker made the best album last year it doesn't say much about the state of rock music does it?

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I just bought this yesterday (found a used copy for $3) and on the second listen thru this morning I wouldn't put it anywhere near ATD.. I really liked Amused.. but Roger just can't seem to find any sunshine in the world these days.. Several have mentioned his whiny voice.. yeah there's plenty of that.. but the thing that bugs me most is his lifting of past material, both music and lyrics.. his "phrasing" is tiresome.. A few others mentioned the brilliance of the ambience / atmosphere / soundscape etc. Yeah there's plenty of that for sure.. but a lot of it is re-hashed from previous albums.. Floyd as well as solo.. I just wish Roger could write something fresh and new..
    this is why I stopped before ATD
    every album seems the same
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I wonder if it would work to construct an alternate "what if?" Pink Floyd album using this one, Rattle that Lock and The Endless River as sources. Maybe combining the best of those would even out the weaknesses of each of them. Getting the tracking order to sound right, like an actual album would be a fun challenge.
    TER is a fantastic collection of ideas strung together in a suite... much the same way they put together Echoes and SOYCD; strung together ideas into a long suite. It's what PF always did best really.

No Waters solos have done that, including TFC
    and no Gilmour solos have done that either

I really only like Gilmour's debut, and AF is an ok collection of AOR type stuff. OAI is too laid back and RTL doesn't work for me
    No Waters solo albums work for me.

As far as the best album of 2017... the following are all awesome!

Kotebel Cosmology
    Madden, Christian The Wrecking Place
    Nova Collective The Further Side
    Kvernberg, Ola Steamdome
    Nau Aletheia Los Misterios de Eleusis
    Pasajero Luminoso El Corazón de las Ballenas
    Soften the Glare Making Faces
    Watson, Dean Sum of Parts

and there were many more strong albums in 2017 beside those!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    this is why I stopped before ATD
    every album seems the same
    I wouldn’t say Pros & Cons and KAOS are the same. There is stuff to like on AtD, but it’s just my least favorite of those three.

Well, finally got around to listening to “Is this the Life We Really Want?” Can’t judge on just one listen, but it sounds like Roger on autopilot. And isn’t the last song largely the same as the last song on Radio KAOS?

I think it is a great one, reminded me Animals in places.

This is brilliant album. Maybe even better than Amused To Death (which is little bit overlong).
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I’ll give it more listens.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleFriend View Post
    I think it is a great one, reminded me Animals in places.

A brilliant LP to me and and even better tour. That stage show was spectacular he even topped The Wall... can't wait to see what the "This Is Not A Drill" staging looks like.

This one has aged well. I miss some tasty guitar solos, but everything else is on point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    This one has aged well. I miss some tasty guitar solos, but everything else is on point.
    I require guitar solos.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    This is brilliant album. Maybe even better than Amused To Death (which is little bit overlong).
    I have yet to listen to this disc, but that would be unreal high praise in Casa MudShark given the esteem AtD holds for me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Sorry but totally disagree. Of course it is only my opinion and probably I am in a minority here, but I think the album is total crap. There is nothing really new (other than swearing) and all are schematics taken from all his and PF's previous albums, heard before. I find it particularly offensive with swearing. Over politicizing of the music and especially demeaning people of different political views is simply ugly and are immediate turn off. Do not think I will ever support this guy, buying albums or attending his concerts (quite politicized as well from what I read even here at PE). Well, let it be my loss ...

It had not been this way before, saw his concert with the "In the Flesh" tour, greatly enjoyed it and have great memories of it (other than the obnoxious crowd, drunken people who pretended and desperately tried to sing with Waters). However, the positives from it prevail and will stay with me despite of what he is doing now, which obviously is no longer of interest to me.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

I really like this album and it's my second favourite after Amused To Death. Sure Waters is not really breaking new ground and there are many of his common musical motifs and tricks in play but I find the songwriting to be consistent throughout and I'm totally on board with the message in the lyrics. Regarding the rest of his discography - I find Hitch-Hiking to be unstructured and unmemorable and Kaos too slick and uneven. Also - I sometimes find myself forgetting that The Final Cut is (nominally) a Floyd album and not an RW solo foray. If TFC was to be considered alongside RW's solo output then It would be third on the list for me - mainly because I'm more into traditionally structured rock I guess.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Sorry but totally disagree. Of course it is only my opinion and probably I am in a minority here, but I think the album is total crap. There is nothing really new (other than swearing) and all are schematics taken from all his and PF's previous albums, heard before. I find it particularly offensive with swearing. Over politicizing of the music and especially demeaning people of different political views is simply ugly and are immediate turn off. Do not think I will ever support this guy, buying albums or attending his concerts (quite politicized as well from what I read even here at PE). Well, let it be my loss ...

It had not been this way before, saw his concert with the "In the Flesh" tour, greatly enjoyed it and have great memories of it (other than the obnoxious crowd, drunken people who pretended and desperately tried to sing with Waters). However, the positives from it prevail and will stay with me despite of what he is doing now, which obviously is no longer of interest to me.
    How do you feel about Ted Nugent?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    How do you feel about Ted Nugent?
    Who? ... joking of course. But to answer your question, do not feel anything about him since I pretty much do not know his music or his views and really am not interested in it. I think I saw him at the concert once with Kansas, or maybe Deep Purple or Motorhead? ... I could be wrong there, but think he was the guy in the Indian outfit with a bow and arrow. There was nothing political or otherwise though.

But seriously, my comment goes for both sides, independent of their views. To have political views is not bodering me that much, even if manifested in songs. If I do not like it, I will simply avoid it. But if someone, like Waters on this album, is attacking / calling people ... let's say names, it really hits hard. Just like to point it out. If someone calls it brilliant then they simply do not even notice it ... which is bad enough, but does not really surprise me anymore. Anyway, we are not here to discuss politics so let's leave it at that ... everyone to his / her views / opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    If someone calls it brilliant then they simply do not even notice it ... which is bad enough, but does not really surprise me anymore. Anyway, we are not here to discuss politics so let's leave it at that ... everyone to his / her views / opinions.
    Hah... I DID notice it. That I can tell you. Like your previous POTUS used to say.

Jon Neudorf
    Well I noticed it and also believe Waters' latest is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Well I noticed it and also believe Waters' latest is excellent.
    Happy for both of you, at least you do not have another "dud" in your collection