Thread: Queen 2017 Dates, also No new album ever? Huh?

Queen 2017 Dates, also No new album ever? Huh?

http://www.queenonline.com/en/the-ba...-lambert/2017/

Picked up my tickets for the Barclay Center this weekend. Pretty psyched, this is my first Queen show - missed them last time around with Lambert, never caught them during the Freddie years.

But, reading this piece in Rolling Stone... anyone else dubious about the logic of this reasoning?:

"While the collaboration continues, there is no plan to take Queen + Adam Lambert into the recording studio, where the original band thrived for so many years. Taylor insists the subject comes up mainly in interviews, and that they have never discussed it. One reason was the lukewarm reception for the album with Rodgers.

"A little bit of the reticence from Roger and I is because we spent a big part of our lives doing that with Paul Rodgers – on which there was some good material and we worked damn hard for months on end," says May. "He's great, there's no doubt about it, but nobody cared. It just disappeared. We sort of got the message, rightly or wrongly, that people just wanted to hear Queen with Freddie on record."

I mean, like, isn't that kinda like Adam Lambert deciding not to record a new solo album because sales of a Paul Rodgers solo album from nearly 10 years ago were soft? I can't imagine a world in which a new Queen album fronted by Adam Lambert wouldn't do well.

This is a band milking its legacy. Expect nothing new. Ever.

I saw them last year with Lambert and they were fantastic. It's really a missed opportunity, IMO.

I mean, they made albums after Hot Space, right?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I saw them last year with Lambert and they were fantastic. It's really a missed opportunity, IMO.

I mean, they made albums after Hot Space, right?
    A Kind of Magic rocks, bruh!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    http://www.queenonline.com/en/the-ba...-lambert/2017/ I mean, like, isn't that kinda like Adam Lambert deciding not to record a new solo album because sales of a Paul Rodgers solo album from nearly 10 years ago were soft? I can't imagine a world in which a new Queen album fronted by Adam Lambert wouldn't do well.
    First you need to define "do well." Lambert's last solo album in 2015 netted about 42,000 in sales (waaay down from his 2009 debut of 850K). Cosmos Rocks netted about 350K units. But that isn't the main point.

Second it's not Rogers vs Lambert. It is that the brand is so closely related to Mercury, that anything else seems like a marketing grab or at best a half-hearted attempt to recapture 1975. Either way, the reason they do so well live is that they rely on their back catalogue and survive, unfortunate as it may sound, as a nostalgia band.

Lastly, the market for a new album is considerably less than you might imagine. Yes, there are many Queen devotees...but it is an aging fan base that doesn't buy as many records as they used to. On top of that, the investment it would take to write and produce a new album (considering it would achieve fairly tepid sales) is much more than taking the show on the road and giving the people Killer Queen.

Finally, it really falls on May and Taylor and if they are interested in creating new music-- or it they are satisfied with playing We are the Champions again. I suspect it is the latter.
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

They should work on a couple of singles to test the water. I think they have 1M times better chance for success with Adam Lambert than they did with Paul Rodgers or any other high profile singer. Lambert is a better fit for the band without changing the entire format and sound of the band... IMO, of course.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

I'm glad this means that Brian May is ok since he cancelled a tour in the UK last year due to health issues.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    They should work on a couple of singles to test the water. I think they have 1M times better chance for success with Adam Lambert than they did with Paul Rodgers or any other high profile singer. Lambert is a better fit for the band without changing the entire format and sound of the band... IMO, of course.
    Pretty much my thoughts as well. I would be interested to see what they could come up with Lambert, and his style would be a better fit than Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I would be interested to see what they could come up with Lambert, and his style would be a better fit than Rogers.
    I know is not about Rogers vs Lambert and very hard to not compared but (and I'll compare :-)) I liked much more Queen with Paul Rogers. Not interested at all with Lambert.

The way it could work with a band like QUEEN who still tours... release a couple of singles prior to tour ... at a live show hold a contest for legal downloaders who buy it during showtime on their smartphones... winning codes could be distributed to win an onsite merch pack...

that would be a way to move music to a captive audience each and every night...

Quote Originally Posted by lwpmedia View Post
    The way it could work with a band like QUEEN who still tours... release a couple of singles prior to tour ... at a live show hold a contest for legal downloaders who buy it during showtime on their smartphones... winning codes could be distributed to win an onsite merch pack...

that would be a way to move music to a captive audience each and every night...
    Maybe you should suggest this to Brian & Co. Sounds like a completely feasible idea.

I just sent him a text and he told me to bugg off!