Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Blue Öyster Cult thread: The light that never warms

Yeah, what I'm hearing is a pretty respectable offering at this late stage. I saw some somewhat recent live clips that were rather cringeworthy.
    <sig out of order>

Although I listened to several tracks online before I got the physical CD, this is an album that really comes to life on a good stereo system. I had it cranked in my car over the past weekend and one thing that really stands out is the rhythm section. There is some really fantastic drum and bass work on this album.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Although I listened to several tracks online before I got the physical CD, this is an album that really comes to life on a good stereo system. I had it cranked in my car over the past weekend and one thing that really stands out is the rhythm section. There is some really fantastic drum and bass work on this album.
    It's very well-recorded. I think "That Was Me" might be one of the coolest songs they've ever done. I know that sounds funny but I love that song!

Albert Bouchard is guesting on my talk show tomorrow. I will be sure to share the vid here asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Albert Bouchard is guesting on my talk show tomorrow. I will be sure to share the vid here asap.
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    It's very well-recorded. I think "That Was Me" might be one of the coolest songs they've ever done. I know that sounds funny but I love that song!
    Kind of in the mold of "I Am The One You Warned Me Of" or "Career Of Evil".
    <sig out of order>

I can totally see them opening their shows with that one when they get back to touring. I love it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Kind of in the mold of "I Am The One You Warned Me Of" or "Career Of Evil".
    Agree, it is another song that could fit right into the "Imaginos" storyline.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I love this song too! “When you see a broken bottle of real fine wine...that was me!”

Here's my chat with Albert Bouchard today. Enjoy!

Got MORE Cowbell? We do! For Episode #42 we chat with Albert Bouchard, original drummer for Blue Öyster Cult. He's got a new album called ReImaginos, which is a reworking/recording of the legendary BOC album Imaginos. We dig into the making of that and it's vids and how it differs from the original BOC version. Also, we chat about early influences, concerts, the evolution of drum micing at concerts, and of course, how cowbell wound up on their classic "Don't Fear The Reaper". A cowbell that spawned a pop culture catch phrase that will live FOREVER. Would you believe it almost was....triangle instead?! Also, Albert guests on the new BOC album The Symbol Remains. We'll discuss how that came to be. My co-host this week is my friend Rob Dwyer.

Really enjoyed the show today Sean. Speaking of Albert here is the first single from "Re-Imaginos". A re-imagined version of "Workshop Of The Telescopes" as a sea shanty:

I just finished listening to the entire CD. It's fantastic (except for Stand and Fight). Buck's songs are best, as usual. Great playing from everyone.

Finally got The Symbol Remains this weekend. Man, it is awesome. I still haven't heard Curse of the Hidden Mirror or Heaven Forbid (sorry Elias! ) so I can't really say if it's their best since Imaginos. But there is a ton of variety on this album. Bits of metal and hard rock, bits of prog and blues. "The Alchemist" sounds like BOC doing Ghost doing BOC. Or something like that. I concur with the criticisms that there are a few spots that get a bit 80s corporate metal-ish, but not enough to ruin the album for me at all. I still need to spend more time but I'm thinking this will be my album of the year...in a very strange year indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Finally got The Symbol Remains this weekend. Man, it is awesome. I still haven't heard Curse of the Hidden Mirror or Heaven Forbid (sorry Elias! ) so I can't really say if it's their best since Imaginos. But there is a ton of variety on this album. Bits of metal and hard rock, bits of prog and blues. "The Alchemist" sounds like BOC doing Ghost doing BOC. Or something like that. I concur with the criticisms that there are a few spots that get a bit 80s corporate metal-ish, but not enough to ruin the album for me at all. I still need to spend more time but I'm thinking this will be my album of the year...in a very strange year indeed.

Edge Of The World and The Machine would almost be at home on a Glen Burtnik-era Styx album.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Edge Of The World and The Machine would almost be at home on a Glen Burtnik-era Styx album.
    I can see that.

I like the new album. It has that diversity that any good BÖC album should have, and the right ingredients are here : Eric's voice, Buck's voice and guitar, and Richie Castellano brings a lot of things to the mix. Richie has provided a new Cult classic with "The Alchemist".

On the minus side, there's a 80s AOR tendency that I could live without (and let's not speak of the "Stand and Fight" chorus), but it does not drown the album. Sound-wise, there's a bit too much reverb and compression for my taste, but once again it does not go too far.
    Like Plasmatopia wrote, I think it's a pretty respectable offering, and I'm glad to hear some fine BÖC material in 2020. I had lost hope years ago.

let's not speak of the "Stand and Fight" chorus
    I enjoy the heaviness and groove of the song, but yeah, that chorus is pretty dumb.

This album keeps getting better and better with every listen, Stand And Fight not withstanding. I wish Buck would make another solo album. His songs are the best in BOC, for me. I love his voice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    I enjoy the heaviness and groove of the song, but yeah, that chorus is pretty dumb.
    I would tend to agree, probably the weakest lyrically on the album, but like you I like the music.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    This album keeps getting better and better with every listen, Stand And Fight not withstanding. I wish Buck would make another solo album. His songs are the best in BOC, for me. I love his voice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Buck songs on this album remind me a lot of his solo album "Flat Out". I am kind of surprised he has never done another one over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The Buck songs on this album remind me a lot of his solo album "Flat Out". I am kind of surprised he has never done another one over the years.
    Maybe he's flat out of songs?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Maybe he's flat out of songs?
    I see what you did there!

Albert Bouchard's new video

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I got the Albert CD the other day, but have not had the chance to give it a listen yet.