Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jean Michel Jarre - NA Tour '17

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Just for curiosity. This was your 1st Jarre album you heard? In my case my introduction with JJM was with Oxygene around 1977/1978. When he released Equinoxe at that time it sounded to my ears too pop and did not like it too much. Now on these days I think much different about Equinoxe which I like it a lot. I'm asking because the introduction point in time I believe "in general" makes a huge difference.
    The first Jarre album I heard was actually Rendez-Vous, which I now rate below Oxygene, Equinoxe, and Les Chants Magnétiques, but it's still "essential" if you enjoy JMJ.

Mine was the Live album from maybe 87-88. Great synth rock, very much the sound of that era for better and/or worse.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Equinoxe was mine in the mid 80s
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Space Cadet
    I just took a peek at the Tower ticket availability and it is looking...not good. I didn't count but looks barely 10% sold if that. Hoping this ends up happening (even if it has to be moved), but I can't imagine a big run on tickets at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Toka View Post
    I just took a peek at the Tower ticket availability and it is looking...not good. I didn't count but looks barely 10% sold if that. Hoping this ends up happening (even if it has to be moved), but I can't imagine a big run on tickets at this point.
    Yeah - not sure how many tickets sold it takes for the Tower Theater to break even, but just took a look and looks like roughly 600 tickets sold so far. Out of 3100 or so. I hope this gig still happens, but it sure looks like no one is making any money on this one.

Never seen Jean Michel Jarre, although this tour looks like a very downscaled show compared to his outings like the Houston, Lyon and The Docks in London, it is worth the ticket price :-)
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Never seen Jean Michel Jarre, although this tour looks like a very downscaled show compared to his outings like the Houston, Lyon and The Docks in London, it is worth the ticket price :-)
    This was at the apex of his career and these unique single shows/events were very expensive to set up, I don't think there's a chance we'll ever see these happening again.

But personally I would rather prefer to attend a more intimate downscaled show where JMJ actually PLAYS his instruments (not sure he ever did it live before) and not faking, hiding himself behind spectacular laser beams and pyrotechnics.

A tour trailer video has been released :

Ticket sales at the Tower are still abysmal. Hope this tour still happens.

How is the Radio City show looking?

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    How is the Radio City show looking?
    Just took a look at the ticketmaster link for that show. Looks maybe a third of the seats are purchased...better than the Tower but still pretty empty.

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    On the ticketmaster page for the PA show there's a shot of what appears to be his live setup. Based on that, I'm somewhat expecting something akin to a Kraftwerk show with a heavy emphasis on spectacle.

Or, better yet...how about a trailer?

If it's anything like that....worth every penny, looks cool to me. Gonna get wired, sit in the balcony and fly away.

I just went on Ticketmaster to see how sales were going for the Philadelphia Tower Theater show - still not great - and see that they have reduced ticket prices for amazing seats (14th row center) to $20!! Needs a promo code though, but that can't be too hard to secure, can it? That is a steep discount and now I have to consider this if I can find that code.

-r

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I just went on Ticketmaster to see how sales were going for the Philadelphia Tower Theater show - still not great - and see that they have reduced ticket prices for amazing seats (14th row center) to $20!! Needs a promo code though, but that can't be too hard to secure, can it? That is a steep discount and now I have to consider this if I can find that code.

-r
    Do promoters actually do that? Reduce ticket prices sounds like a pretty bad last minute strategy, I know Stub Hub does it but that is different because they want to at least recover face value on each ticket and avoid a total loss.

Ironically, I have a ticket but cannot go. Pretty sure I'll be eating the cost on that one.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

This video has good resolution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcBX6HgqWM
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

So does that mean I can upgrade my tickets since I paid more for them?

Ironically, I have a ticket but cannot go. Pretty sure I'll be eating the cost on that one.
    But she's hot, right?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    This video has good resolution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcBX6HgqWM
    This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    But she's hot, right?
    Ironically enough...yep

I was soft on this one regardless...none of the promotional trailers really got me excited (rather, I found myself suspecting I was driving about 5 hours round trip on a weeknight, essentially to see a rave). So, better/local plans have come up.

Sorry...JMJ may be bucket list quality, but IMHO JMJ of days past is bucket list quality. JMJ today isn't, not for me.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ironically enough...yep

I was soft on this one regardless...none of the promotional trailers really got me excited (rather, I found myself suspecting I was driving about 5 hours round trip on a weeknight, essentially to see a rave). So, better/local plans have come up.

Sorry...JMJ may be bucket list quality, but IMHO JMJ of days past is bucket list quality. JMJ today isn't, not for me.
    Guess we'll find out

He's playing a mile from my house so it was a bit of an easier decision.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

If it was local (DC) for me, it'd be much easier to justify. But a Philly on a Thursday means taking time off work and a VERY long/late drive home. Not impossible but...just not worth it for me.

I hope it's a great show for ya, Ian

I don't need to see Jarre doing his impression of Guetta, either.

Apparently there is now an opening act - someone named Josh Wink.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I haven't followed him since Equinox actually. I just read he has sales of 80 MILLION units! Jesus...maybe I should check this out. If the bio on his page is any indication I doubt tix will be around for long...
    I bought the first two when they came out and they were really cutting edge at that time. I haven't listened to him much since them, trying a little but it not being to my taste. I tried him again last week and there were a few good things he did after the first two, a little more complex and melodic than I would have thought. He deserves the respect he gets.