Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Modern Fusion of the more Rock variety

2 years old, but new to me. Driving fusion with a horn section.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Anyone mention Aurora Clara yet? This is a must-listen.

https://auroraclara.bandcamp.com
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post

I got both their albums recently after hearing samples of this one. Definitely been digging both of these, and the new one will be one of my top 2022 favorite releases.

Bill

Don't recall seeing mention of these guys, so I thought I'd post them here. I found out about them through the Laser's Edge store, and have been really enjoying them. Both discs give me a bit of a Holdsworth vibe, but there's also maybe a bit of Tribal Tech influence in there as well. I'm no expert, but that's where my mind went; there's lots of other influences of course. I'd be curious what other folks think when they hear it.

"what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    Nice!
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Second album from Dutch guitarist Elewout de Raad and his Project: True Stories. In his band we find members of the Richard Hallebeek Project.
    Jazzrock in the vein of Allan Holdsworth with some influences of Steve Vai, Pat Metheny, etc.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm listening to the one album from the US-band Ad Astra (self-titled). They played at ProgDay one year, which is when I bought the CD. Even though they were a fine band, I mainly bought the CD because the guitar player, Joe Nardulli, was sat right next to us for dinner one of the nights, so I said I wanted to buy his CD. It was mostly a politeness thing. But I've ended up listening to the album a lot and really enjoying it. The band is extremely tight, and the interplay and soloing are really excellent. The melodies are engaging and the songs are well-composed.

Ad Astra was released in 2008. I really wish the band had released more albums afterward.

(Apologies if I've mentioned this album earlier in the thread.)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm listening to the one album from the US-band Ad Astra (self-titled). They played at ProgDay one year, which is when I bought the CD. Even though they were a fine band, I mainly bought the CD because the guitar player, Joe Nardulli, was sat right next to us for dinner one of the nights, so I said I wanted to buy his CD. It was mostly a politeness thing. But I've ended up listening to the album a lot and really enjoying it. The band is extremely tight, and the interplay and soloing are really excellent. The melodies are engaging and the songs are well-composed.

Ad Astra was released in 2008. I really wish the band had released more albums afterward.

(Apologies if I've mentioned this album earlier in the thread.)
    I have several cds that fall into this category. Ad Astra is probably one of the better ones. As far as really obscure stuff goes (and I only call them really obscure because the album only has 4 ratings on progarchives) it's one of the very best in this style. An underrated gem for sure.

There's a Canadian band called Karcius that were pretty good. Do you know them? Apparently they later added vocals but the earlier stuff was instrumental (I have the first three). I also remember a French band called Eclat being good but I don't remember how fusiony they were (I have a few and need to spin again). Maybe more like instrumental prog rock but still very good and worth checking out.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 02-25-2024 at 03:45 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Banned
    Welsh band Z Machine live. Video taken from the Area SA1 show at Hangar 18, Swansea, 04/08/2022. Owen Rosser, guitar; Gareth Piper, guitar; Rob Harrison, saxophone; Lester Greenhalgh, drums; and Kristian Rees, bass.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyon View Post
    Welsh band Z Machine live. Video taken from the Area SA1 show at Hangar 18, Swansea, 04/08/2022. Owen Rosser, guitar; Gareth Piper, guitar; Rob Harrison, saxophone; Lester Greenhalgh, drums; and Kristian Rees, bass.

https://www.dprp.net/reviews/2024/002#z-machine

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post

That's a nice album!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by D.Eric View Post

Groovy. A German band I see, with some seasoned jazzers in the lineup. Need to get this.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by yoyon View Post

Z Machine are great (I have their one cd) but to me don't sound like fusion; more like jazzy prog (I kinow that's not an official category).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I have several cds that fall into this category. Ad Astra is probably one of the better ones. As far as really obscure stuff goes (and I only call them really obscure because the album only has 4 ratings on progarchives) it's one of the very best in this style. An underrated gem for sure.

There's a Canadian band called Karcius that were pretty good. Do you know them? Apparently they later added vocals but the earlier stuff was instrumental (I have the first three). I also remember a French band called Eclat being good but I don't remember how fusiony they were (I have a few and need to spin again). Maybe more like instrumental prog rock but still very good and worth checking out.
    Heard of Karcius but never listened to them - I’ll try to. I have a few Eclat albums, and saw them at a festival once, but to be honest they’ve never really clicked for me.

I listened to a couple of Kenso albums last night, and in fact, realized that Spotify has Kenso albums I’ve never heard before, so I’m in a Kenso groove now. I think they’re the best!

Quote Originally Posted by D.Eric View Post

I was able to get a used copy of the CD for three quid, result!

I gave it a blast last night and I think it's an outstanding release.

Bandcamp Profile

Not sure it is 'modern' fusion.

Different recording than Frau Theunissens Kegel* on Association P.C. - Erna Morena

Has anyone mentioned Bushman's Revenge?
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Has anyone mentioned Bushman's Revenge?
    If not I'm glad you did. How much did this band influence some of the young trios that followed in Norway like Hedvig, Kanaan etc.
    The guitarist is among my favourites Mr. Hermansen is a beast, so gifted. He's on that amazing Grand General album that would fit in this thread and he's on that Shining album called Balckjazz.
    But this power trio while using humerous album and song titles, are about as serious as it comes as far as the music goes. Huge fan of Thou Shalt Boogie! with Needlepoints keyboardist on a few tracks, he's also on their live Bushfire release where they expanded to a five piece including sax from the Moster! dude. A Little Bit Of Big Bonanza is probably my second favourite record from them.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten