Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Proto prog thread

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Chris, your thread bump was timely. I was listening to Marsupilami the other day and that got me into the mood to create a new playlist. I've been playing it the last few days.

As far as "what is proto-prog" that tends to permeate this thread and debate, I'll just say that my playlist also tends to have a lot of hard-rock, blues-rock, krautrock, and "proggier" stuff thrown in the mix (from '68-'72 mostly) as I feel it contributes well to the mood/mix.

Some of the groups I have in there that are not on the first page:

Brainticket
    Brosselmachine
    Embryo (Opal)
    Granicus
    Leaf Hound
    Icecross
    Necromandus
    Gomorrha
    Rufas Zuphall
    Paladin
    Patto
    Irish Coffee
    Josefus
    Thirsty Moon
    Toad
    Xhol Caravan
    Junipher Greene
    Bloodrock
    Frijid Pink
    Sir Lord Baltimore
    Dust
    Flower Travelin' Band
    Cactus
    Trapeze
    Fraction
    Felt
    Eric Burdon (early War albums)
    Manar
    Svanfridur
    Analogy
    Asoka
    Audience
    etc.
    Some rough stuff in there!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Analogy
    The reformed Analogy (now with Hunka Munka on Keys) lost their
    key members Jutta and Martin to the Grim Reaper last year...

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    This morning I had my breakfast to Jody Grind's "Far Canal"... had to be reminded what a great album it is.

Agreed - the whole album is great, but if I were to choose its masterpiece, I'd go with 'Jump Bed Jed'. My notes on it state: A lengthy track, it combines both the band's songwriting acumen with a keen sense of hard rock jamming containing energetic guitar and Hammond solos, with many peak moments throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    Agreed - the whole album is great, but if I were to choose its masterpiece, I'd go with 'Jump Bed Jed'.
    My faves are the opening folky/classical pastische existentialist elegy ("We've Had It Right From the Start") and that impossibly cool and drowsy, jazzy instrumental closer. Two of my absolute gems from the early 70s British underground. I never tire of those tracks.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    My faves are the opening folky/classical pastische existentialist elegy ("We've Had It Right From the Start") and that impossibly cool and drowsy, jazzy instrumental closer. Two of my absolute gems from the early 70s British underground. I never tire of those tracks.
    'We've Had It Right From the Start' is very memorable. Songwriting at its finest. I revisited the album this summer, and I can hum it in my head right now without hearing the clip. And yes, I do love the cool jazz closer as well. And do you hear traces of Led Zeppelin (I/II) in the song 'Plastic Shit'?

do you hear traces of Led Zeppelin (I/II) in the song 'Plastic Shit'?
    Certainly, but truth be told that track sits out even on a most eclectic and varied album - and which hard rockin' (progressive) UK acts at the time were not somewhat post-Cream'ish? Spontaneous Combustion, Steamhammer, T2, Tractor etc.

Come to think of it, the only other release which somehow captures much of the same vibe as Far Canal was probably Toast to Panama Red by The Masters' Apprentices. That's a flogging great one as well.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

American band Goliath were a hammond/guitar hard rock band with proggy overtones here & there , similar to Deep Purple and Uriah Heep in the vocal department.

Its a solid album with some mice melodic hooks and decent jamming.

Not to be confused with Englands proto prog band Goliath from 1970.

I always considered many of the songs by Plymouth Wisconsin's Sunblind Lion to fit the description here.

^^ Thx Saucy - never heard of Sunblind Lion - another one to track down!

One of my favorites from 1971.

The Samarai album is the closest Britain had to Steely Dan

And do you hear traces of Led Zeppelin (I/II) in the song 'Plastic Shit'?
    I hear traces of Greta Van Fleet...

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I hear traces of Greta Van Fleet...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

New to this thread so sorry if this has been posted, but just discovered a great track.

(Check out the Child in Time screaming @ 7:00)

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

Its a solid album with some mice melodic hooks and decent jamming.

Not to be confused with Englands proto prog band Goliath from 1970.
    Nor the 1969 band (on ABC) from the USA! This Goliath was from Louisville, and had one album released in 1975 called Hot Rock & Thunder. This track comes from an archival comp that was recorded in... wait for it... 1970. Apparently a popular name in those days...

Personally I think the 1970 band from the UK is brilliant.

^ That's really fitting here, because "snobby elitism" most obviously translates as "knowledge and insight that I find redundant and consequently don't possess myself". Which is perhaps exactly why one finds the very same knowledge and insight redundant.

Better be a human zombie.

I guess I don't quite get the connotation of the Snob Video. I'm probably missing the intent altogether.

It seems every time we begin to share knowledge, someone comes along with an underlying accusation of elitism/snobbery. It's a chat board so what else are we supposed to do? I'm often surprised, even pleased, when I see folks come on here and say "I didn't know about that - thanks for sharing!" That's the reward of participation.

The video is funny for sure, typical self-parody but well done, but I don't know if it belongs here.

A big wtf for the random video that popped up here.

Yes, I also like a lot the UK Goliath and consider them quite underrated (3.38 at beloved PA), the only one I knew until Tom and Nosebone shed some light here. So thanks to both of you.

I call bullshit on that video. An actual prog snob elitist wouldn't be caught dead in a Dream Theater T-shirt.

And here we go off topic, thread hijacked.

I like this discussion- it is exposing me to some music I had not heard. I do believe that if I were picking the first real prog material, I would go with Touch, as noted just above. It is such a good record, even half a century later.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    IAn actual prog snob elitist wouldn't be caught dead in a Dream Theater T-shirt.
    So f'n true and to-the-very-point-itself.

However, if he (or she, 'cause there are loads of prog women) was merely a prog snob - and not additionally an elitist - he'd might actually utilize precisely that Theater-supremacy to soar above followers of lesser-worthy types of r&r (y'know, like Creedence or Ozark Mountain Daredevils or J.C. Mellencamp or Fantomas etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by spiderfeathers View Post
    New to this thread so sorry if this has been posted, but just discovered a great track.

(Check out the Child in Time screaming @ 7:00)

Five nude hippy men flying in space!

Seventy- Five is my favorite tune on that album!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Five nude hippy men flying in space!
    Prog in a nutshell.

Agree:

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Nor the 1969 band (on ABC) from the USA! This Goliath was from Louisville, and had one album released in 1975 called Hot Rock & Thunder. This track comes from an archival comp that was recorded in... wait for it... 1970. Apparently a popular name in those days...

Personally I think the 1970 band from the UK is brilliant.

Love that album. Its also stuffed in my Iphone, although the album art stinks!

A French proto prog one shot from 1972:

I love this tune! Everybody listen!