Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: John Wetton’s health (withdrawal from “Excalibur”)

John Wetton’s health (withdrawal from “Excalibur”)

does anyone have any updates?

i have just read that wetton had to withdraw from alan simon’s “excalibur” stage production due to “serious health issues”, as quoted from in the german SAGA fansite an well as excalibur’s official fb page (also in german)

http://www.excalibur-live.de/en/soloists.html

it sounds quite worrying – i don’t follow his tweets (he seems to be quite active there) … let’s hope that this is just part of general recuperation. good wishes all.

Wetton has had multiple rounds of chemo this year. I believe it was for stomach cancer. Additionally, he is recovering from a recent bout of sepsis. He has talked about all of this on his twitter page. As of now, he is still going on the Cruise to the Edge.

yep, followed that one. he seems to have recovered well from this, but cancer can always return with things still being so recent. being cured from cancer takes five years or so the saying goes.

on a side note, SAGA’s michael sadler is stepping in to cover the role, hence the ref …

Yes, sad story. More recently he hat to battle with sepsis.

I did an interview with him a few months back, and I will say he was in great form. Very candid about his career!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

This is very sad news. He is likely in his final days.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Not sure how you're getting this. I can imagine a show that's doing multiple performances and traveling around was going to be too much for him. But unless you've heard more than we have, I'm curious to know what you're basing this statement on.

I haven't heard anything apart from this and sure hope I'm wrong but there are many with cancer who live life to the fullest until their final days and this seems common with theater.

This is reported as a "serious health issue" - not just travelling around too much.

It was a couple of years ago, IIRC, that he had a very large malignant tumor removed. It weighed a couple of kg. That's usually not a very good omen at all, but he seems to be soldiering on well. I wish the man all the best.

^^^ I saw one of the final UK shows in May of (2014?). JW looked, sang, and played great. He had the tumor removed two weeks later. I only found out about the operation while surfing for reviews of the UK shows.

To put on such a great show in that condition, either he's a really stoic character or he has a lot of physical strength in him. Anyway let's hope the new news is just a necessary part of his recovery.

It is concerning, but he seems to have a positive outlook on it, which is very beneficial to one's health. I love John Wetton, and sincerely wish him the best.

I'm not sure this kind of speculation helps anyone.

It's the 'likely in his final days' comment which people found crass and insensitive. And I'm by no means a 'boomer'.

He posted another photo on Twitter today...as I said, he's about as active on there as he ever was. So hopefully things are going well.
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-18-2017 at 02:59 AM.

he has definitely had a rough few months from what I have seen on twitter. but I think I also saw Geoff downes mentioning working with him on early stages of a new asia album so he isn't totally out of things.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Agreed.
    I didn't mean literally final few days. This is very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Indeed.

I didn't mean literally final few days. This is very sad.
    Nice try.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    Many people survive cancer 20 or 30 years or more.
    Yes, but stomach cancer is hard to beat if not detected early.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    It is concerning, but he seems to have a positive outlook on it, which is very beneficial to one's health.
    This is something of a tengent, but the latest research suggests that a positive or negative outlook makes no difference to cancer survival. This is something I find reassuring: bad enough to be diagnosed with cancer, even harder if you're told you need to maintain a positive outlook about it.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    This is something of a tengent, but the latest research suggests that a positive or negative outlook makes no difference to cancer survival. This is something I find reassuring: bad enough to be diagnosed with cancer, even harder if you're told you need to maintain a positive outlook about it.

Henry
    Regardless of what research says, a positive attitude never hurt anyone.

Regardless of what research says, a positive attitude never hurt anyone.
    But an expectation on an individual that they should have a positive attitude can hurt. I would suggest Barbara Ehrenreich's Smile or Die: How Positive Thinking Fooled America and the World on the topic.

Henry

But an expectation on an individual that they should have a positive attitude can hurt. I would suggest Barbara Ehrenreich's Smile or Die: How Positive Thinking Fooled America and the World on the topic.

Henry
    Really, I'm not sure where this is coming from or whether somehow you got the impression that I had the expectation that Wetton should have a positive attitude.

Really, I'm not sure where this is coming from or whether somehow you got the impression that I had the expectation that Wetton should have a positive attitude.
    Entirely tangential to your comments above. No criticism of you intended.

Henry

Entirely tangential to your comments above. No criticism of you intended.

Henry
    Ah, understood. Sorry for my confusion.

Henry
    It's all about how the person feels. You're right, pressuring them to have a positive outlook can have a negative effect (and yes, Henry wasn't accusing anyone of doing that he was just making an interesting point). Encouraging them or inspiring them to have a positive outlook through things that lift them up I personally believe can make a difference depending on how they take it and how they choose to focus their thoughts and emotions. Many people like to think that doctors and medicine have figured most things out but there's still a LOT of mystery and unknowns about how the body works. I agree it can't hurt if the person who is diagnosed with a disease such as this chooses to have a positive outlook. Easier to say not being in their shoes or feeling the physical pain or fear they go through. But, if they can manage to do that it is a triumph itself... and when it results in defying the odds of what the doctors say and living longer it's that much more of a triumph.

I'm looking forward to seeing him on Cruise To The Edge! Like many of you I hope he pulls through. Hang in there John! So many of us love and support you!