Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Misheard prog lyrics

"I've got Martin loose inside my head. I got books that I never ever read."

Of course the real line is "I've got wiring loose inside my head."

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if someone heard another line in this song as "it's so neurotic when your make up runs."

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Ditto.
    Wait....so, it's "Silly Human race?"

Really?
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Speaking of Yes, I had a music book that had printed the lyrics to ISAGP as "send an instant comment." However, I do believe it is actually suppose to be "instant karma" like the John Lennon song. Also, there is some dispute over the lyrics "lost in losing circumstances that's just where you are." Apparently some people(those on the yesfans website in particular and you would think they would know better)thought it said "lost in musing circumstances." "Losing" makes more sense than "musing" in the context of the song imo though. I actually can't imagine any situation in which "musing" makes more sense but this is Jon Anderson we are talking about so you never know.

BTW, that Magma Philosophy Wars brought tears to my eyes. Awesome.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Wait....so, it's "Silly Human race?"

Really?
    It sure is.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Speaking of Yes, I had a music book that had printed the lyrics to ISAGP as "send an instant comment." However, I do believe it is actually suppose to be "instant karma" like the John Lennon song. Also, there is some dispute over the lyrics "lost in losing circumstances that's just where you are." Apparently some people(those on the yesfans website in particular and you would think they would know better)thought it said "lost in musing circumstances." "Losing" makes more sense than "musing" in the context of the song imo though. I actually can't imagine any situation in which "musing" makes more sense but this is Jon Anderson we are talking about so you never know.
    I think ( on the studio version of Your Move) Jon sings "Send an instant comment to me" , but the backing vocals definitely say "karma"

A quick google search for lyrics on these songs shows "instant karma"(not comment) and "silly human race"(not see the human race).

Japanese imports were always a good source of mondegreens. They always had a lyric sheet, irrespective of whether the album in question originally had one. My favourite was Led Zep's 'Immigrant Song' - they translated "we are your overlords" as "we are your overload".

A quick google search for lyrics on these songs shows "instant karma"(not comment) and "silly human race"(not see the human race).

I could be wrong but i still think he sings "comment" on the studio version (at least). The thing is, Jon really pronounces his R's , (he doesn't have the kind of accent where you don't hear the R), but I don't hear the R sound when he sings that part. (Squire emphasizes the R in "karma" the backing vocals though ..)

And yes, definitely "Silly human race"

^ You're wrong. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Japanese imports were always a good source of mondegreens. They always had a lyric sheet, irrespective of whether the album in question originally had one. My favourite was Led Zep's 'Immigrant Song' - they translated "we are your overlords" as "we are your overload".
    My Japanese "Saucerful of Secrets" claimed the opening line of Corporal Clegg was "Corporal Clegg had a walk down leg". i always wondered what that would have meant.

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    My Japanese "Saucerful of Secrets" claimed the opening line of Corporal Clegg was "Corporal Clegg had a walk down leg". i always wondered what that would have meant.
    It meant he had a mouse in his pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ You're wrong. Sorry.
    Which part? Silly human race or "comment?"

I am listening to ISAGP right now and I hear "comma" if anything but I know he means "karma." It's his accent.

Which part? Silly human race or "comment?"
    Comment

I am listening to ISAGP right now and I hear "comma" if anything but I know he means "karma." It's his accent.
    That's it, in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    I think ( on the studio version of Your Move) Jon sings "Send an instant comment to me" , but the backing vocals definitely say "karma"
    I was going to point out that 'send out instant comment' makes no sense, but I then remembered that this is Jon Anderson we're talking about, and realised I needed a better line of defence.

I was going to point out that 'send out instant comment' makes no sense, but I then remembered that this is Jon Anderson we're talking about, and realised I needed a better line of defence.
    I also always heard it as "comment".

Besides, the next line is, "Encrypt it with loving care."

It makes more sense to encrypt a comment than a karma.

JK

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    I also always heard it as "comment".

Besides, the next line is, "Encrypt it with loving care."

It makes more sense to encrypt a comment than a karma.

JK

Initial it with loving care...

Initialing an instant karma makes no more sense than sending it out, but anyway you look at it it's karma, not comment. It's almost certainly a nick from the John Lennon song, and they also nick the chorus from 'Give Peace a Chance' as well.

Initial it with loving care...
    Yes, I know.

That's why I used Comic Sans, added a "Just Kidding" and a winking smiley, as I was making a joke on a misheard lyric.

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    Indeed. I think it's meant to be both. It's a deliberate pun.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Genesis, "The Fountain of Salmacis"

"The waters are his dirt." ("The waters are disturbed.")

It made sense at the time, because of the "Seven Stones" lyric, "Despair that tires the world brings the old man laughter." I thought the whole album was based on the principle of things being not what they seem.

"And a cloak of mist dissolved."
    ("In a cloak of mist alone.")

Really minor, that one. I think it's because Peter Gabriel had a thing about chimeras in other lyrics, particularly "The Lamb."

Genesis, "Ballad of Big"

"And now they call him lucky like the dead."
    {"Alive they called him lucky, but not today.")

I like my original interpretation better.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Yes, I know.

That's why I used Comic Sans, added a "Just Kidding" and a winking smiley, as I was making a joke on a misheard lyric.
    I think it’s become impossible to use Comic Sans un-ironically. Which is good, because it’s utterly hideous.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I remember the lyrics to the (expensive) Japanese import LP of Todd Rundgren's Healing had several errors - eg 'circle of one' for 'sack of woe', and the opening cry of the album 'My child!' becoming 'My I try!'. Obviously a difficult job to replicate lyrics for a non-English speaker, but I can't understand why the artist wouldn't have been consulted first.

Anyway, my first experience of Musical Box was Genesis Live (1973), and I could have sworn Gabriel was singing "You stand there with your pigskin dress on".

Quote Originally Posted by Luckie View Post
    I could have sworn Gabriel was singing "You stand there with your pigskin dress on".

I had a very tinny mono record player in those days.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yeah, I had a Japanese copy of Meddle on vinyl, and in the lyrics of San Tropez it had the line "Backward and home-bound, the dij and the dove" instead of "the pigeon, the dove."