Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New from ProgQuebec : Maelstrom (1976)

I'm not sure about demise but certainly the label is effectively inactive. The previous release was Franck Dervieux in 2012. Stephen showed this year he is willing to release something if it makes sense, but I think the days of putting out many releases a year are over.

I've gone over some of the facts around the business model in previous threads and won't bore everyone with them again. But I think when we talk about whether the point is to make money, it's helpful to have perspective -- should Stephen be personally subsidizing releases out of his bank account? Otherwise the business model has to be sustainable, and in fact that was always one of the operating principles. It is great that people like the Maelstrom release, but does anyone actually think that PQ is going to make money from it?

About the prospects mentioned, a couple of things:
    1) Re-reissuing something that has had a previous CD version is tricky because of people who own the old version. Even if you convince them to upgrade their version, they are probably going to sell their old one second-hand. We used to mitigate that with bonus tracks where possible. But it sets a higher bar when you have to say "are there 700-1000 MORE people who want this and don't already have it?"
    2) Regarding stuff like Les Temps and Opus 5, in some of these cases rights were murky and the choice was either to pay an unreasonable/unjustified licensing fee or risk legal action. There is other Quebec stuff that has been cock-blocked for similar reasons, and people other than me who could confirm that .
    3) In the case of Octobre, my understanding is that Pierre Flynn's then-current management was not interested in seeing those come out, at least at the point we were asking (or maybe because we were the ones asking? heh).

I am really happy for both Maelstrom and PQ that this release is being well-received. I don't know what that means for the future, but I think we should be happy PQ got to 41 releases... it's probably about 41 more than many would have expected 15 years ago.

Thanks for this... was basically what I was expecting...
    only thing that I could add to this conversation that may make a little difference (and I do mean little) is the passage of time. Take the Octobre releases... when his then-current management was asked ( am I bold to say 10 years ago?) interest wasn't there.. but time can change things, these are Pierre Flynn's legacy after all.. and no one wants to be forgotten.

anyway
    thanks smcfee (sean?) I remember meeting you at one of the FMPM.

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    Another solid find for progquebec... hope the labels rumored demise is not true. There are still releases that need to be preserved or at least given proper releases (Les Temps and Opus5 both could do with new reissues... Opus5 in particular would greatly benefit from something more than the bare-boned releases that disque L'aller-retour gave them.)
    I believe Contre-Courant was re-released a decade ago on Unidisc. I don't own it, but history says they probably didn't do much with it (except alter the cover a bit). I have the Aller-Retour reissue myself, and yea, it's ridiculously bare-bones. IMO, it's the single greatest progressive rock album from all of Canada. That was one I had to have the original LP of in addition because of this. What a great album.

As for Serieux ou Pas, I think a couple of dealers still have the Aller-Retour CD in stock, which is crazy since it's been out of print for 27 years. So it definitely underscores what Sean offers above.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    I believe Contre-Courant was re-released a decade ago on Unidisc. I don't own it, but history says they probably didn't do much with it (except alter the cover a bit).
    That's the one I have, and as it's the only version of that album I've ever owned, I'm not sure if much was done with it, but it's a nice enough release with a slipcase and decent booklet. Terrific album!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

As for Serieux ou Pas, I think a couple of dealers still have the Aller-Retour CD in stock, which is crazy since it's been out for 27 years. So it definitely underscores what Sean offers above.
    While Contre-Courant is the best of the two by a dozen miles overall, the band's handful of very finest tunes are actually on Serieux - IMHO. I found it for 5$ in a throwaway bin here in Oslo some 11 years ago, and i friggin' treasure it. There's something about the very atmosphere of their songs that just do me over every time I pull it out, whether melodies are cheerful or intensely melancholy. Great, great band who should have been much bigger - at least with the darn "proggers".

This may appear unlawfully cheesy through the first bars - but then it changes and evokes a more than good enough reason for it. I always thought the effect with the leaving train was a simple trait of pure brilliance; something Hatfield and the North could have done...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    While Contre-Courant is the best of the two by a dozen miles overall, the band's handful of very finest tunes are actually on Serieux - IMHO. I found it for 5$ in a throwaway bin here in Oslo some 11 years ago, and i friggin' treasure it. There's something about the very atmosphere of their songs that just do me over every time I pull it out, whether melodies are cheerful or intensely melancholy. Great, great band who should have been much bigger - at least with the darn "proggers".

This may appear unlawfully cheesy through the first bars - but then it changes and evokes a more than good enough reason for it. I always thought the effect with the leaving train was a simple trait of pure brilliance; something Hatfield and the North could have done...
    I agree completely. My own notes seem to mirror yours. Here they are:

Recorded in 1977 but abandoned after their label Celebration (most famous for Harmonium) went belly-up. The 1989 CD is the one and only legal document of those recordings. This isn't the typical half-baked archival release where major portions were still missing from the final product. In fact, I'd say the oven was turned off only about 10 minutes too soon. You can tell they have many great ideas working here, and the depth of the musicianship and compositions are at the same high level as Contre-Courant. And the quality of the recording is superb. It seems they still needed time to finish arranging, compiling, and scrubbing the edges off. It's really a pity they couldn't finish what they started, as this may very well have been the second greatest album to ever come from Canada. Behind only their first album... Even still, an essential album for progressive rock fans.

As for Serieux ou Pas, I think a couple of dealers still have the Aller-Retour CD in stock, which is crazy since it's been out of print for 27 years. So it definitely underscores what Sean offers above.
    OK, this made me laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    There is a digital version available but it's a bit more work.
    1) Order CD
    2) Rip it.

uhhh... no. What am I going to do with a CD collection of 1? I'll pass... until Stephen joins the 21st century.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    uhhh... no. What am I going to do with a CD collection of 1? I'll pass... until Stephen joins the 21st century.
    They make great coasters.

Third time through the Maelstrom album...it's taking a bit longer to grow on me, but there's lot to like.
    <sig out of order>

FWIW I got my notice of the AGM today ... I can't go, as it's in Montreal on a Monday night, but the letter gives no indication of any plan to wrap things up.

Bought my copy yesterday, on my 2nd spin and I am totally mesmerized by this obscure gem from my home province.

Merci beaucoup Stephen et longue vie encore à Prog Québec.

For me this is something incredible, one of the best prog album of 1970-x. Mixture of GG, Yes, Maneige with nice multivocals parts..and folk flavor. I would say the best Quebec prog album ever….

^ It's definitely among the top-5 from Québec for me as well. I'm quite amazed how this has been kept in total obscurity for all this time, as it's arguably one of the very best "lost" 70s progressive recordings I've ever come across. If this had been discovered, say, 15-20 years back, there'd quite possibly be a whole other interest with that purported "prog crowd"; it sure gives stuff like Cathedral or Yezda Urfa or Mirthrandir a run for their money.

ProgQ has truly become one of the foremost collectible reissue-labels out there. There's still a few I've missed out on, but I intend to get them all in time.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Off the subject but since this thread seems to attract the attention of many quebecois rock fans:

As a former Montreal resident, I am very positive that the REAL reason that U2 did NOT include a Montreal date on the upcoming Joshua Tree Tour is that Montreal does not have a truly modern, operational and up to par high tech stadium like all the other cities on this tour have.

Yes, some of those stadiums are not-so-new like Rogers Center (Toronto 1989, Skydome was upgraded when Rogers bought it 2005) and Vancouver BC Place (1983, upgraded 2010 Olympics) or most of them are new stadiums with over 60,000 capacity. Olympic stadium in Montreal is old (1976 is by today's standards), obsolete and does not meet the design requirements of many major artist tours. It is very well documented that when the "Claw" stage during the 360 U2 Tour 2010 could not be installed due to the roof malfunction, the venue had to be changed to the Hippodrome Race Track (former Blue Bonnets) to avoid the cancellation, and embarrassment. I hope that someday the city authorities in my former hometown will be proactive and cooperative to follow a new stadium initiative. Sadly, it would come too late for the Expos who left mainly due to this same reason in 2004.

**if the moderator wishes to move this post and create a new thread, please proceed. Thanks
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Listening to the samples right now. VERY impressive. Has the potential of rivaling Pollen, which I really love.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

I scored a copy and am loving it. A great find and thanks to Stephen and company for bringing this to market.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Listening to this release again today.... man is that strong.... easily one of the top 5 records I've ever heard from Quebec...

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

I finally unwrapped Yves Laferriére's album (reissued on PQ) the other weekend as well, and I really have to say that it's astonishingly good; I'm actually quite amazed about its relative level of obscurity with folks usually into the Quebecois realm, as it sort of stands out even there. A couple of tracks move perhaps a bit too close to "standard fusion" liteness, but overall these songs carry a semi-chamber-like quality very rarely heard from even more advanced 70s "prog rock" musicians.

Of course, considering how practically this whole scene took cues from a work as successfully ambitious as Dervieux' Dimension M, it's probably not a coincidence that it would gain such heights to show for.

Yup, I always thought the Laferrière album went under the radar, considering he was a key part of Contraction. A cool band name and some decent cover art would have gone a long way .