Thread: Prog Rock made me a winner!

Prog Rock made me a winner!

My local BBQ joint has a Rock Trivia board at the pick-up window; Correctly supply the answer and win a free rib!

Fridays Question:
    This mid-70's trio was second only to Led Zeppelin as the highest grossing act at the time

ELP won me that rib.

The guy said not many had given the correct answer.

I had previously won with a 'Original member of Pink Floyd thought to be the inspiration for Shine On You Crazy Diamond' or something like that; Thank you Mr. Barrett
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

The highest grossing act after Zep in the early/mid '70s. Nowadays most people would be like "Who?"
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    So is all you had that one free rib? That'd be funny.

It was Adam's

One rib?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    One rib?
    Hey, it's a 79-cent value!

Could be worse. Coulda been a McRib.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Hey, it's a 79-cent value!
    Now you've got me thinking. It doesn't say that any purchase is required. I could stop by once a week, answer the question, and get a rib for the ride home!!

This place pre-slices the ribs in your order, so packing one up is no big deal. Heck, he even threw in a little cup of sauce for it

I had a similar thing:

Years ago a city nearby had a dinosaur rock festival (REO Speedwagon, Alice Cooper, Styx, Frampton) and my wife wanted me to win her tickets. They had classic rock trivia each morning for a week to win tickets. Next morning I'm up and get the question, "Which album stayed on the charts for the longest consecutive number of weeks?"

I walk upstairs, tell her I won the tickets so let me go back to sleep.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    The highest grossing act after Zep in the early/mid '70s. Nowadays most people would be like "Who?"
    And it's arguable they would be right too.

Anyway, this thread kind of reminds me of an experience I had once at a show. Several years ago I went to see the prog band Gongzilla at a small venue not too far from me. One of the musicians said that if you shout out the correct name of the artist you win a free cd. Well, as it so happens I'm not a Frank Zappa expert but I did recognize it immediately when they started "Peaches en Regalia." The guy just nodded at me and continued the tune. I won the cd of course but in reality there were maybe only twenty people there and only maybe five were even remotely paying attention to the concert.

I won $50 at a bar in Dallas that had a music trivia thing going on. I knew who the lead singer of Jethro Tull was.

Those drinks went down nicely.
    The Prog Corner

Conversely, when Yes was doing their Magnification tour, the local stop was promoted by one of the local radio stations, and their DJ was running a 'Yes Trivia' contest to upgrade your seats to the front row in the lobby of the venue.
    "Hey, I like Yes" I say to myself. I didn't get chosen but was there to hear the questions. I don't remember them, but all I know is that I did not know the answer to the first 4 questions; they were very tricky, one of them like 'What album was described by a critic as .....' ; whatever the review was, I was thinking Close to the Edge; it was Tales ...
    Finally, the 5th contestant answered whatever their question was ...

They had a general classic rock trivia quiz before the screening of one of the Yes documentaries at a movie theater back in 2004(I think). There were three questions. I got one wrong. One guy shouted one of the answers but I think I knew it anyway. I won a WMGK classic rock t shirt which I eventually gave to my sister in law.

Years ago I was semi-addicted to playing NTN trivia (I think it's called BuzzTime or something like that now) in a local bar. On Saturday nights they did an all-music trivia game that featured several rounds followed by one final question where they'd show you the possible multiple choice answers and then let you bet 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50 percent of your points that you'd know which was the correct answer once you saw the question.

One evening I was doing fairly well and was in the lead with a decent point total heading into the final question. The answers came up:

1. Yes
    2. Genesis
    3. King Crimson
    4. Jethro Tull
    5. Pink Floyd

I quickly hit the "bet 50%" button. The question was something like "What seminal 70s art rock band evolved from the band Giles, Giles and Fripp?"

My final score stayed at the top of the music trivia high score list for that bar until they went out of business a couple years later.

-- Bob
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.