Thread: Is Hemispheres SW's next remix project? He certainly likes it!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ^ ^

I think the above sums it up.

There is unreleased material out there. Some of it is a different version including an extended version of "Red Barachetta" that I heard in Japan that is extended about 90 seconds. I prefer what made it to Moving Pictures, so I don't think you are missing anything.

But there are also entire songs that didn't make it in the time from what I could gather was 1977 to 1982. Also, what I heard was not a collection of great lost songs but back then, they kept records to 35 or 40 minutes so songs that didn't make it. I understand why they say there is no lost music for a few reasons. To them, it isn't lost but a song they didn't want on an album or out at all at the time. "Freeze" from that era eventually did make it out on Vapor Trails in full form 30 years later

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    ^ ^

I think the above sums it up.

There is unreleased material out there. Some of it is a different version including an extended version of "Red Barachetta" that I heard in Japan that is extended about 90 seconds. I prefer what made it to Moving Pictures, so I don't think you are missing anything.

But there are also entire songs that didn't make it in the time from what I could gather was 1977 to 1982. Also, what I heard was not a collection of great lost songs but back then, they kept records to 35 or 40 minutes so songs that didn't make it. I understand why they say there is no lost music for a few reasons. To them, it isn't lost but a song they didn't want on an album or out at all at the time. "Freeze" from that era eventually did make it out on Vapor Trails in full form 30 years later
    There are no different songs that never made an album. Different versions of songs perhaps, but nothing new was ever recorded. They didn't waste their time on something that wasn't working. It was abandoned. (Perhaps for later use.)

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    There are no different songs that never made an album. Different versions of songs perhaps, but nothing new was ever recorded. They didn't waste their time on something that wasn't working. It was abandoned. (Perhaps for later use.)
    True. They have stated this many times. There was a song called "Sir Gawain and the Green Night" that was intended for "Permanent Waves", but the subject matter didn't fit, so new lyrics were written and the music became "Natural Science." They recorded a goof song called "Tough Break" with one of their roadies named Jack Secret. It surfaced on a bootleg years ago and is hardly what you'd call a Rush song. It's pretty bad too. They only other thing I know of off-hand is that the original "version" of "The Main Monkey Business" was 18 or 19 minutes long. Geddy mentioned this in an interview at one point after the S&A came out. I'd love to hear that jam!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    True. They have stated this many times.

Right. And that makes it true.

Better to assume that they're lying each time they say it?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Why do you doubt them? Do you have any evidence that this is not true? I'd love to think that they have unheard songs in the vaults, but I have to take them at their word. I'm sure there are bits and pieces that were never used, but likely not songs based on what they've said.
    Chad