Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Hemispheres SW's next remix project? He certainly likes it!

Quote Originally Posted by kaltfeuer View Post
    First of all SW should remix Clockwork Angels properly. That is just dense wall of sound mischmasch with no detail.
    I'm game for that too. The difference between the early release single of 'Caravan' and the album version is sad to me. It got all muddy.

The guys from Rush have said in interviews over the years that there is no unreleased material and that whatever doesn't make it to the album is scrapped. I would venture that there probably are tapes of them rehearsing or working on songs but I think what they were actually saying is that they don't feel right about the whole idea of dangling "unreleased material", "alternate takes", "studio run-throughs" (a la Yes) etc. to fans as an enticement to buy stuff when they cease to exist as a band. I think they just don't like the idea of selling half-baked material, half-baked ideas or half-baked performances to their fans, anything that represents them as less than their best.
    Last edited by Garden Dreamer; 12-07-2016 at 09:45 AM.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

^ ^

I think the above sums it up.

There is unreleased material out there. Some of it is a different version including an extended version of "Red Barachetta" that I heard in Japan that is extended about 90 seconds. I prefer what made it to Moving Pictures, so I don't think you are missing anything.

But there are also entire songs that didn't make it in the time from what I could gather was 1977 to 1982. Also, what I heard was not a collection of great lost songs but back then, they kept records to 35 or 40 minutes so songs that didn't make it. I understand why they say there is no lost music for a few reasons. To them, it isn't lost but a song they didn't want on an album or out at all at the time. "Freeze" from that era eventually did make it out on Vapor Trails in full form 30 years later

Quote Originally Posted by kaltfeuer View Post
    First of all SW should remix Clockwork Angels properly. That is just dense wall of sound mischmasch with no detail.
    maybe someone should write new lyrics for CA for Geddy to record.... the whole story is in rhetoric and is barely comprehensible.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    maybe someone should write new lyrics for CA for Geddy to record.... the whole story is in rhetoric and is barely comprehensible.
    If you were expecting a linear storyline like 2112 or Hemispheres, I can see where you'd be disappointed, but that wasn't all that important to me. I think each song stands on its own and I don't mind if they all don't tie together into a cohesive whole. CA more than exceeded my expectations, especially after the dreadful Snakes & Arrows. Now there is an album that needs new lyrics. The lyrics are overly wordy, not lending themselves well to being sung as a melody. Combine that with the plodding tempos on nearly every song and this album is unlistenable to me, save for "Far Cry" and the instrumentals.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    The original mix is so good, I'm not sure I see a necessity for a SW remix. It's not like the situation with Tales from Topographic Oceans or Aqualung. I also don't see a 5.1 mix being a huge deal, since the bulk of the album is not heavily layered arrangements.

The only two Rush albums that jump out to me as needing a remix are Signals and Presto.
    A 5.1 mix doesn't just adapt to more layers of musical parts. It opens up the soundstage, allowing each part to be heard more clearly.
    So even just 3 parts at once can be more easily heard individually. Some of Geddy's melodic bass lines get buried in a stereo mix. A good 5.1 mix can also make Neil's drum parts blow your mind with his complex articulation. Alex's guitar solos can really stand out with a more open mix as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Not a 5.1 guy (although I have all of the Rush 5.1s) but there are quite a few differences in the 5.1 mix. Different vocal takes for one. Totally mindbending to hear as the whole catalog has been hardwired to me. Totally different listening experience. Not quite the Let it Be Naked experience, but somewhere approaching that neighborhood for me.

People always ask about unreleased Rush songs (and there aren't any), but I wouldn't mind if they went in full on Beatle mode and just released some alternate takes on the same songs to get an idea about what they may have been thinking.
    I found the alternative mix of Signals interesting- especially the up front guitar - but haven't felt compelled to listen to it in years. All the more power to those who like 5.1, but I'll stick to the vinyl reissues of the original stereo recordings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    ^ ^

I think the above sums it up.

There is unreleased material out there. Some of it is a different version including an extended version of "Red Barachetta" that I heard in Japan that is extended about 90 seconds. I prefer what made it to Moving Pictures, so I don't think you are missing anything.

But there are also entire songs that didn't make it in the time from what I could gather was 1977 to 1982. Also, what I heard was not a collection of great lost songs but back then, they kept records to 35 or 40 minutes so songs that didn't make it. I understand why they say there is no lost music for a few reasons. To them, it isn't lost but a song they didn't want on an album or out at all at the time. "Freeze" from that era eventually did make it out on Vapor Trails in full form 30 years later
    There are no different songs that never made an album. Different versions of songs perhaps, but nothing new was ever recorded. They didn't waste their time on something that wasn't working. It was abandoned. (Perhaps for later use.)

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    There are no different songs that never made an album. Different versions of songs perhaps, but nothing new was ever recorded. They didn't waste their time on something that wasn't working. It was abandoned. (Perhaps for later use.)
    True. They have stated this many times. There was a song called "Sir Gawain and the Green Night" that was intended for "Permanent Waves", but the subject matter didn't fit, so new lyrics were written and the music became "Natural Science." They recorded a goof song called "Tough Break" with one of their roadies named Jack Secret. It surfaced on a bootleg years ago and is hardly what you'd call a Rush song. It's pretty bad too. They only other thing I know of off-hand is that the original "version" of "The Main Monkey Business" was 18 or 19 minutes long. Geddy mentioned this in an interview at one point after the S&A came out. I'd love to hear that jam!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    True. They have stated this many times.

Right. And that makes it true.

Better to assume that they're lying each time they say it?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Why do you doubt them? Do you have any evidence that this is not true? I'd love to think that they have unheard songs in the vaults, but I have to take them at their word. I'm sure there are bits and pieces that were never used, but likely not songs based on what they've said.
    Chad

I explained earlier here that I don't think they are lying because to them a song was not finished until they decided it should be on an album. But there are what most people would consider close enough to "songs" that were not released.

But there are what most people would consider close enough to "songs" that were not released.
    Where have you heard this?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I explained earlier here that I don't think they are lying because to them a song was not finished until they decided it should be on an album. But there are what most people would consider close enough to "songs" that were not released.
    Even if this is the case, why do you think the fans have a say in whether or not any of it sees the light of day? Trust me - if Miles Davis were alive, half the shit that Sony saw fit to put on the tons of legacy releases since 1991 would not have seen the light of day. Same could be said for pretty much any jazz artist.

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    Even if this is the case, why do you think the fans have a say in whether or not any of it sees the light of day? Trust me - if Miles Davis were alive, half the shit that Sony saw fit to put on the tons of legacy releases since 1991 would not have seen the light of day. Same could be said for pretty much any jazz artist.
    I'm thankful Miles is dead then, cause that's some great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    Even if this is the case, why do you think the fans have a say in whether or not any of it sees the light of day?
    I didn't say I thought the fans should have a say.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Where have you heard this?
    Seconded.
    Chad

A wrote a few weeks ago, in a bar in Japan after everyone had left. The bartender who knew I was a big Rush fan let me hear parts of the mysterious CD. This was a long time ago, and I assume someone will put it up on you tube since I've noticed much more Japanese content has gone up in the past couple of years.

That may be the shadiest post I've ever read.
    Chad

That may be the shadiest post I've ever read.

I was sometimes called Shady Yami in Japan.

Seconded.
    Third.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Third.
    Fourth....