Page 186 of 187 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187 LastLast
Results 4,626 to 4,650 of 4656

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Love it, bought it. I also appreciate the quote from the article where the writer's wife says of Maresnest: “It’s all starting to sound like one giant song.”. That's surprisingly apt, and I sometimes feel the same way, that the entire catalog is comprised of movements from one giant opus.
    In a way, Tim was the British Frank Zappa, so a degree of Conceptual Continuity is no surprise. Though it may simply be that, like FZ, Tim had a very distinctive way of moving notes.

Yeah i reckon the more idiosyncratic the style, the more likely it is for the material to sound similar to a degree. I think it's like how someone who doesn't listen to some genre might say 'it all sounds the same to me' even though there may be a lot of differences between songs in that genre. It all gets lumped in together in the brain when it's something the brain is unfamiliar with but shares aesthetic similarity, which is also going to be true for very unique styles of composition.
    Last edited by auxfnx; 04-30-2024 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    Yeah i reckon the more idiosyncratic the style, the more likely it is for the material to sound similar to a degree.
    Like hip-hop:

rap rappa-rap, rappa rap-rap-rap, rappa-rappa-rappa-rappa-rap rap rap rap..........
    whicka-whicka-whirr . . . . . . . . . . whicka-whicka WURP. WURP.
    BOOM-boom . boom-BOOM! . . . . BOOM-boom . . . . . boom-BOOM!...........

That's a good point, and it's applicable to more than music.
    For example the Chinese don't "all look alike" any more than any other group of people, but foreigners used to say that about them.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 04-28-2024 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    In a few days I hop on the train to London for the Sing to Tim event on Saturday. Any others are going?

I'll be the one with the big daisy t-shirt .
    Oh wait, that wont be very helpful.
    I'm going!
    I'll be the one with moustache and gesticulating a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    I'm going!
    I'll be the one with moustache and gesticulating a lot
    That sounds easily identifiable, especially the gesticulating. I would be the one with the tail, were I fated to be there, but alas it is not to be. HOWEVER, I am sure it's going to be a completely FABULOUS and STUNNING event, have a great time you people!

BD
    https://bdrak.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    That sounds easily identifiable, especially the gesticulating. I would be the one with the tail, were I fated to be there, but alas it is not to be. HOWEVER, I am sure it's going to be a completely FABULOUS and STUNNING event, have a great time you people!

BD
    https://bdrak.com/
    Hey Bob....are you familiar with "Hello Mr Sparrow" from The Seaside? I've been obsessed and learning the drum part on my commute (just to play it for fun). Brilliant tune! Every section is is integrated beautifully and Tim loves loves loves using the lydian mode. The live version is amazing too. Leith plays it a bit more aggressively and it's a powerhouse.

Here it is anyway:

https://youtu.be/nTFHPJh2O6U?si=cr7sZv3NKSbfe6GL

Last night in the Garage was absolutely incredible.

Unfortunaty I missed most of thr Mr. Drake and Smith ensemble due to the long cue outside. Irecognized Charley Cawood and Richard Larchombe in the band.

Spratleys Japs were amazing. Jo sounded great and looked even better. Does that woman not age? They made me very happy with playing Song of a dead pest and Flap off you heak at the end. Wonderful.

Then Cardiacs came on with a superb set. Jon Poole was centre stage and was the obvious front man. Vocal duties were shared between, Jon, Bic and a variety of other singers, including Sharon Fortnam for Leader of the Starry skies and Jo Spratley for Ideal. I did not recognize the other guys. Final song was Big Ship.

What an amazing night. Now I am off to the Cotswolds for some regular vacation.

That’s very, very, very good. I would pay folding money to see that band.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Today is a short 4 dates October tour announced! So for the ones who missed it.

Today is a short 4 dates October tour announced! So for the ones who missed it.
    Amazing! Between this and the reunited Beardfish - yes please. I can't wait to watch this.

Filmed by Peter Southwood.
    Posted here with his permission.
    Thumbnail photo by Emiel Ramakers.

Peter says "So, here’s the videos I took, Merged into one; three Sea Nymphs tracks, three Spratleys tracks and the ENTIRETY of Cardiacs!"

Worthy of laudation, I'm sure you'll agree.

I saw Cardiacs two times in the late 80ies. Back then I had a huge crush on Sarah.
    Saw Cardiacs again some days ago. I now have a crush on Jo Spratley.

But shhhh...dont tell my wife.

Tears and laudation watching this... and great heaping gobs of gratitude that it exists.
    -----------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
    causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Filmed by Peter Southwood.
    Posted here with his permission.
    Thumbnail photo by Emiel Ramakers.

Peter says "So, here’s the videos I took, Merged into one; three Sea Nymphs tracks, three Spratleys tracks and the ENTIRETY of Cardiacs!"

Worthy of laudation, I'm sure you'll agree.
    Thank you, Sterby! I was soooo bummed I missed this in person. Oct isn't happening either. Bloody hell!
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    Thank you, Sterby! I was soooo bummed I missed this in person. Oct isn't happening either. Bloody hell!
    I probably won't go in October too. I live in Italy and it's never so easy to take a plane and just go...
    Also, sometimes I have a weird feeling inside my heart/chest. Now that they're in full flight again, I feel like... "they don't need me anymore" I know it doesn't really makes sense but... I came on board one year before Tim fell ill, so basically all my life as a Cardiacs fan I spent it telling people "hey this band is great even if they're not playing anymore!" In a way it's like having a son that can finally go his own way. I REPEAT, IT'S A WEIRD FEELING, DON'T GET ME WRONG!
    In those last 16 years I did all I could to put the light on this dark period!

I probably won't go in October too. I live in Italy and it's never so easy to take a plane and just go...
    Also, sometimes I have a weird feeling inside my heart/chest. Now that they're in full flight again, I feel like... "they don't need me anymore" I know it doesn't really makes sense but... I came on board one year before Tim fell ill, so basically all my life as a Cardiacs fan I spent it telling people "hey this band is great even if they're not playing anymore!" In a way it's like having a son that can finally go his own way. I REPEAT, IT'S A WEIRD FEELING, DON'T GET ME WRONG!
    In those last 16 years I did all I could to put the light on this dark period!
    I totally understand! I miss the Pond on FB but I hated FB so I live in small chat land with our friends on the side. I'll be over in July for a special friend's wedding but that's it. Have a good un!

A social medium tells me that the Sing to Tim tribute will be broadcast on BBC 6 on 17 June. In fact, it’s a “live radiogram session.”

I’d be happy to tune into this. Is that possible?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm IN. Yes. We must find a way!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    A social medium tells me that the Sing to Tim tribute will be broadcast on BBC 6 on 17 June. In fact, it’s a “live radiogram session.”

I’d be happy to tune into this. Is that possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    I'm IN. Yes. We must find a way!
    At the very least maybe some kind soul from the UK can post it to YT after the fact.

I have no problems tuning into BBC radio 6, at least not from the Netherlands

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_6music

I have no problems tuning into BBC radio 6, at least not from the Netherlands

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_6music
    RAD. I am listening off your link. Set the date! TY!

Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

https://www-impattosonoro-it.transla...tdARbG8IojMI3T

New Cardiacs article from Italian webzine Impatto Sonoro. Lot's of amazing stuff discussed, but the crème is definitive news regarding LSD (yaaaay)! Even Sterbus gets a nod - nice man!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    https://www-impattosonoro-it.transla...tdARbG8IojMI3T

New Cardiacs article from Italian webzine Impatto Sonoro. Lot's of amazing stuff discussed, but the crème is definitive news regarding LSD (yaaaay)! Even Sterbus gets a nod - nice man!
    Lovely.