Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ballot 2017

Actually…..that is a pretty good list, and I can see why most of them would be nominated. Seems to me like Kelly Groucutt should be included in the ELO induction as he was a main member through their most successful period.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I am not getting sucked into this HOF thing this year. They have had 22 years to induct Yes. No reason to think this year would be any different. Last year Chris Squire died and Yes finished second place in the fan ballot. If that wasn't enough then it ain't ever gonna happen. It's too bad the induction process is ruled by this elite cadre bent on Soviet style revisionism of rock history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Salon have already waded in with a no-to-Yes position: http://www.salon.com/2016/10/18/rock...urney-and-yes/

Henry
    I don't really understand the anti-Yes position expressed in that article. I mean I think there are definitely arguments to be made for Yes not being in, but this doesn't touch on any of them, IMO.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Salon have already waded in with a no-to-Yes position: http://www.salon.com/2016/10/18/rock...urney-and-yes/

Henry
    "Yes, on the other hand, is a band that once had real musical ambition as leaders of the “art rock movement.” But their classical-rock fusions sound studied now..."

I can understand how he's decided he's only interested in music, art, or literature created by people who never studied, being as he calls himself, "an enthusiastic if middling jazz and indie-rock guitarist." Eat shit, moron.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 10-18-2016 at 09:04 PM.

Henry
    "Yes, on the other hand, is a band that once had real musical ambition as leaders of the “art rock movement.” But their classical-rock fusions sound studied now; they never had the imagination or drive of, say, King Crimson. And they are, like Journey, led by an awful lead singer. Can we remove “Owner of a Lonely Heart” from radio forever and just pretend that ‘80s comeback never happened?"

Wow. Oh well...

where do I vote?

I'm registered at PE. Where and How do I vote?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    "Yes, on the other hand, is a band that once had real musical ambition as leaders of the “art rock movement.” But their classical-rock fusions sound studied now..."

I can understand how he's decided he's only interested in music, art, or literature created by people who never studied, being as he calls himself, "an enthusiastic if middling jazz and indie-rock guitarist." Eat shit, moron.
    BTW, indie rock isn't a musical genre, f-wit.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Christ. Presumably somebody got paid for that article!
    At Salon, not necessarily.

What? No Depeche Mode fans in the room? They would be my second choice! Tupac is a definite third. I have to think about the other two spots.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by magyar1938 View Post
    I'm registered at PE. Where and How do I vote?
    Go to https://www.rockhall.com/vote

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

MC5
    Yes

Good enough for me.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'd add Depeche Mode they were big in Europe and genre defining.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I still dig Depeche Mode - even as late as like 2000 or so - great live show.

That Salon "article". Wow...

I suspect he thinks King Crimson had better "imagination and drive" than Yes because Fripp used more tritones and "rougher" guitar textures (especially during the LTIA to Red era). Which means that bands such as Henry Cow and Art Zoyd had even more imagination and drive than King Crimson because they used even more tritones, and lashings of minor 9ths to boot.

Also Jon Anderson an "awful" singer? Presumably because - not unlike Steve Perry - he frequently sings in the countertenor range. Who cares about the boring stuff such as the excellent phrasing, tone and pitching...

Still, it was nice to see yet another article espousing the boringly pedestrian (if increasingly dated) Politically correct, "official" consensus viewpoint of Rock history.

Its great to see some of those names up there. I for one am a huge fan of Janes.I just saw them recently, and man do they bring it!
    As a plug for Journey, just to consider, he was 16 when he got hired by Santana, and had to turn down Clapton the same week to play in Derek and the Dominoes because he already committed to Santana. Journey was built around him, and I don't think he was 20 years old yet. He's a horribly under rated guitarist as a result of their shmarmy foray into the Perry led arena world. But not for nothing, they were gigantic. I'm not a fan of that incarnation of Journey, but a huge fan of Schon. And if ANYONE on this list deserves to be in there because of a stellar career it should be Neal Schon.

I offer this in support of Schon and in the hope it derails this from becoming yet another Yes thread

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    IMHO Steve Perry is one of the greatest rock vocalists of his generation. Journey is also the only band on the list of nominees who had their own arcade game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

^^^He does have great pipes...and an arcade game, instant admission!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They were huge here in the States too. I don't own any albums, but have liked some of the stuff they have done over the years.

My suggestions for the Rock and Roll hall of fame 2018:

Yoko Ono
    Phil Collins
    Courtney Love
    Chick Corea
    Umphreys Mcgee

One of more of them should be able to end it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    The board or whatever is probably made up of failed wannabe musicians.

Where's the love for the J. Geils Band?!? THE best live band I ever saw. Period.

The Hall will push for a reunion featuring: Anderson, Howe, Wakeman, Rabin, White and Kaye. So who would play bass? Squire's handpicked successor, Billy Sherwood. And Bruford would attend but not play. What about Downes and Davison? Maybe they get to hang out backstage or something. Expect some more of these manufactured, phony beefs to crop up in the near future - all to make a reunion more newsworthy.

It's all about those Benjamin's, baby.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Wow, Steppenwolf was a Big contributor to Rock and Roll during the 60's/70's Surprised they had not already been in. I dont think they are a huge band from a historical standpoint (they haven't really stood the test of time).
    Just my opinion, but their music from '68 - '72 (when they broke up) has stood the test of time. Think I'll start a Wolf thread in the Off Topic now ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The board or whatever is probably made up of failed wannabe musicians.
    Questlove, Tom Morello, Robbie Robertson, Lenny Kaye, Paul Shaffer and Little Steven didn't fail too badly.