Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd: The Early Years 1965-1972 Box

are these single-disc packs legit?
    https://www.ebay.com/i/153654869788?ul_noapp=true
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I don't think this is the case.

Speaking personally I would have welcomed separate releases of just the CDs. Some of these have only one audio disc after all. And based on the hour-long preview the BBC did when this came out, I'm not sure I'd even want some of that TV footage!
    Well, I'll admit, a lot of it is them miming for TV. I thought it was cool to finally see the American Bandstand clip, and I remember seeing some of that Belgian TV footage on an MTV Rockumentary from circa 1989, so it was nice to finally see those uncut. But I can see how a lot of people might not dig it. But things like the Bouton Rouge footage and especially the KQED video, I think are awesome. I've had a bootlegged VHS copy of KQED for more than 20 years now, and it's nice to finally see it with full fidelity.

A longer version of the KQED footage was discovered after the box was released. I think the extra track was 'Astronomy Domine'.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    A longer version of the KQED footage was discovered after the box was released. I think the extra track was 'Astronomy Domine'.
    What? I wanna see it!!

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    What? I wanna see it!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uj8IIzbrv8
    This one clocks in at 8:49

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I think this also came up in The Later Years thread, but there has been an acknowledged issue with some of the blu ray discs in the big Early Years set. Looks like the label has acknowledged this and is preparing to make replacement discs for those affected:

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest...programme.html

I checked mine last night and one of my blu rays IS showing some discoloration/bubbling along one of the edges, so I'm definitely in for a replacement. Might wait another month or so first, just to see if any of the others start to show signs.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for that link. I just finally got around to checking my Early Years box and found that five of the eight blu-ray discs are showing signs of damage, from tiny "bubbles" in a couple spots around the outer edge to discoloration on a couple discs to one disc that looks like the backing is peeling off along half the disc's edge.

I submitted a replacement request to the email address given in that brain-damage article. Has anyone gotten any response from them yet?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    that was well written and invaluable to me as I had not yet ventured into purchasing this set. I see a couple of the 'big box' packs for under $600 but I think I'll just get a few of the individual boxes

thanks for taking the time to write that!
    You're welcome. I'm just glad someone actually found it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    Thanks for that link. I just finally got around to checking my Early Years box and found that five of the eight blu-ray discs are showing signs of damage, from tiny "bubbles" in a couple spots around the outer edge to discoloration on a couple discs to one disc that looks like the backing is peeling off along half the disc's edge.

I submitted a replacement request to the email address given in that brain-damage article. Has anyone gotten any response from them yet?
    I haven't heard anything but in truth, I didn't expect to hear anything. Just assuming that sometime in February/March/April, new discs will appear in my mailbox.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Is there any way to watch the video footage online ?

Pink Floyd: The Early Years 1965-1972 Box

[URL[https://youtu.be/5rQb81z7ciI

I was listening to this and at 01:30 couldn't help myself thinking of Soft Machine's We did it again...

anyone else hears the resemblance and would care to comment ?

Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post

I was listening to this and at 01:30 couldn't help myself thinking of Soft Machine's We did it again...

Sure. I don't have a guitar handy so can't confirm if they're in the same key or not, but to me the similarity is there... but it's not huge. I believe the Floyd version is a 2-note pattern in cut time (ba-DUM, ba-DUM, etc.) while the SM version is a 4/4 riff (ba-DA-DA-ba-DAH).
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post

Thanx
    well,not sure I'm hearing (outside the slmilar manic drumming), but Floyd and the Softies shared the stage a few times

One would have to see who influenced who in this case
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I haven't heard anything but in truth, I didn't expect to hear anything. Just assuming that sometime in February/March/April, new discs will appear in my mailbox.
    I got an email back a few days after I sent in my replacement request, and it just said some variation of "Due a to high volume of requests, there will be a delay in processing your email."

Then a few days after that I got an email saying that I had to submit pictures of the damaged discs...which I already had with the first email. But I emailed the pictures again. Haven't heard anything since that.

At this point, I'm not real hopeful about actually getting replacements.

On the other hand, as time permits I've been watching the discs that have the "bubbling" issue and so far they still seem to play OK. Who knows how long that will last though.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

At this point, I'm not real hopeful about actually getting replacements.
    Well, looks like I was wrong. I just got this email:

"Thank you for your order from Euro Megastore Eurostore.
    You can check the status of your order by logging into your account.
    If you have any questions about your order please contact us at uk-customerserviceteam@wmgcustomerservice.com.
    Your shipping confirmation is below. Thank you again for your business.

Payment Method: (blank)

Shipping Information: (my address)

Shipping Method: Tracked Mail

ITEM QTY
    CONTINU/ATION 1
    1972 OBFUSC/ATION 1
    1969 DRAMATIS/ATION 1
    1968 GERMIN/ATION 1
    1971 REVERBER/ATION 1"

I have no idea what "Euro Megastore Eurostore" is, but it looks like they're shipping me the replacement blu-rays.

in case anyone is curious... I bought the Reverber/ation stand-alone box and the Meddle 5.1 easter egg was not on the bluray

they fixed the mistake
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

in case anyone is curious... I bought the Reverber/ation stand-alone box and the Meddle 5.1 easter egg was not on the bluray

they fixed the mistake
    Given that I just got the boxset a few months ago, I wonder if my version has it. What disc is it suppsoed to be on? Is it only on the Blu-Ray?

supposedly on the Bluray but needs to be extracted as opposed to seeing it when you play the BR

Sooooo...I got my replacement disc in the mail yesterday. Sorry, did I say disc? They sent me replacements for ALL the blu-ray discs in the box set even though I only provided them pictures and IDs for just the one disc that was affected. That's actually rather cool of them, I suppose that way, if another disc DID go bad down the road they don't have to repeat this cycle.

PS: sorry in advance...but no, I'm not offering the extra discs them up for sale/trade. They have been spoken for already
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

they fixed the mistake
    My replacements are on the way...but I’ve already extracted the Meddle from the original Blu ray, so I’m good
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I imagine everyone else has noticed this, maybe it's even been noted elsewhere on this thread, but I spotted two "fellow travelers" while watching the documentary segment on the Floyd's appearance at the Ossiach festival, on the 1971 DVD: Edgar Froese and Chris Franke! Herr Chris lights a cigarette for Herr Edgar, then lights one for himself, and it cuts away to a water skier. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I imagine everyone else has noticed this, maybe it's even been noted elsewhere on this thread, but I spotted two "fellow travelers" while watching the documentary segment on the Floyd's appearance at the Ossiach festival, on the 1971 DVD: Edgar Froese and Chris Franke! Herr Chris lights a cigarette for Herr Edgar, then lights one for himself, and it cuts away to a water skier. That is all.

At 5:25. Haven't seen the video before, thanks for posting

Since mid March I've been working from home, as have many, and besides being able to post in forums like this one because I have a little more time, I've also been able to deep dive more into my music collection. The PF early years box is an absolute treasure trove of fantastic material. I can't say enough good things about it. Listening to it has really opened up my appreciation for albums released before Meddle. The various live performances of Atom Heart Mother and Ummagumma material is particularly eye (or ear) opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    Since mid March I've been working from home, as have many, and besides being able to post in forums like this one because I have a little more time, I've also been able to deep dive more into my music collection. The PF early years box is an absolute treasure trove of fantastic material. I can't say enough good things about it. Listening to it has really opened up my appreciation for albums released before Meddle. The various live performances of Atom Heart Mother and Ummagumma material is particularly eye (or ear) opening.
    Yeah, it's a pretty amazing set. Some of it I already had on bootlegs, but it's nice to have it in perfect (or almost perfect) quality here.

Sooooo...I got my replacement disc in the mail yesterday. Sorry, did I say disc? They sent me replacements for ALL the blu-ray discs in the box set even though I only provided them pictures and IDs for just the one disc that was affected. That's actually rather cool of them, I suppose that way, if another disc DID go bad down the road they don't have to repeat this cycle.

PS: sorry in advance...but no, I'm not offering the extra discs them up for sale/trade. They have been spoken for already

I was looking through some old emails today and found the one from December 2019 saying that they had shipped my replacement discs for the defective Early Years Blu-Rays. They never arrived. I had completely forgotten about this until stumbling across that email.

My shipment must have gotten lost (or found by someone in the postal system with sticky fingers), and now the replacement program has ended so I'm stuck with the potentially-defective discs. I'm fairly pissed about this.
    --

I was looking through some old emails today and found the one from December 2019 saying that they had shipped my replacement discs for the defective Early Years Blu-Rays. They never arrived. I had completely forgotten about this until stumbling across that email.

My shipment must have gotten lost (or found by someone in the postal system with sticky fingers), and now the replacement program has ended so I'm stuck with the potentially-defective discs. I'm fairly pissed about this.
    Looking closer at the order for the replacement discs (via the "view your order" link in the shipment notification email), I noticed that whoever typed the order into the system mis-copied my address from the original email I sent them. They put my house number as 8281 instead of 8182, which is probably why the discs never arrived.

I sent an email to the customer service address listed in the shipment notification email, but I'm sure it's far too late for them to do anything about it.
    --