Page 124 of 242 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174224 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,100 of 6050

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Goddamit, I have to get a friggin' dental implant to replace a bad tooth. Sounds like a fun process. It'll pair well with the colonoscopy next month!
    Fortunately, I've never had a dental implant, but I have had a couple of root canals. They were no picnic, either.
    The colonoscopy itself is a piece of cake; it's the preparation for it that's awful. Drinking all that laxative stuff and having to be close to a toilet for 24 hours before the procedure. I feel your pain, Jed.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Today, I turn 60. Groucho said, "You're only as old as the woman you feel." So, that makes me 58.

Goddamit, I have to get a friggin' dental implant to replace a bad tooth. Sounds like a fun process. It'll pair well with the colonoscopy next month!
    Hopefully, different doctors and, more hopefully, a different set of tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Fortunately, I've never had a dental implant, but I have had a couple of root canals. They were no picnic, either.
    The colonoscopy itself is a piece of cake; it's the preparation for it that's awful. Drinking all that laxative stuff and having to be close to a toilet for 24 hours before the procedure. I feel your pain, Jed.
    The prep has changed in recent years. It's not quite as bad as it used to be. Sure, you still go through the colon blow ritual, but you don't have to consume as much of the laxative.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Oh wow, I played (or practiced) in a band for a week or so with Geoff right before he joined the Ryche... He has a awesome voice. You didnt happen to go to school with a Matt Bazemore did you? I think he was at school with Geoff Tate as well. He was a drummer in a few bands with me in high school. He did the first Queensryche album cover - I think
    I do not recall the name Matt Bazemore. He did not attend our High School. I pretty much knew all the drummers in HS. Geoff made his mark in a town about 45 miles from our town (Bellevue, WA) I too was in an informal band with Geoff right after HS.....We worked up 2112 for a time. He did a pretty good Geddy Lee at that time.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have 5 dental implants. They are a long process that take about 9 months from start to finish. I have had issues with permanent pain in my mouth stemming from the implants. Most people don't have these problems, but unfortunately I have been one of them. Not trying to be discouraging, but my experiences have been a mixed bag. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have.
    Sorry to hear that. Do you feel there was an alternative treatment you could have taken? It’s one of my back molars, so not visible, but useful for chewing! The dentist mentioned root canal, but she said the tooth would probably not make it, and that the root may be dead (because there’s no pain despite there being a big hole in the back of the tooth.

I'm recovering from the extraction/implant surgery 2.5 weeks ago.
    Two teeth removed, one implant. So far it's not too bad.
    Very low on the pain scale. They were a front left and adjoining left tooth.
    It has made eating a bit of an adventure. No biting, just chewing. The surgery area is still sensitive, and I don't expect it to toughen up much soon.
    They sold me a 'flipper', a retainer/denture thing to wear so I don't scare children. At this point very uncomfortable, and it should be removed for eating.
    Masks are great, at this time. As things heal more, it may be bearable for exposed-face-in-public-time.
    I don't know what your dentist/prosthodontist deal is, but I have to deal with both. One handles the extraction and implant and the other the replacement crown. The cost is split between them and the billing/cost has not transparent on all sides.
    It seems that dental insurance will not cover aspects of the process, and not much of that. And we have pretty good insurance.
    The prosthodontist gets paid up front, submits the claims and I get a check for what they cover. She told me up front what the cost of her services are in the proposed treatment plan. No surprises so far. Followups covered in the price.
    The dentist has been less forthcoming, which kind of pisses me off. I had to pay upfront for the 'flipper' because they said that if it was submitted to insurance they might not pay any of the upcoming claims. Surprise ( $810 ).
    We will see what the dentist charges for followups, before the crowns are made.
    It will be over in August.
    Last edited by markwoll; 05-22-2021 at 08:34 PM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Colonoscopies are a real pain in the ass.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Maybe the dentist and the gastro can schedule both things for the same time. They can work on you at both ends and save half on the anesthesiologist costs.

Sorry to hear that. Do you feel there was an alternative treatment you could have taken? It’s one of my back molars, so not visible, but useful for chewing! The dentist mentioned root canal, but she said the tooth would probably not make it, and that the root may be dead (because there’s no pain despite there being a big hole in the back of the tooth.
    All of mine have been from broken teeth. Unfortunately, I inherited major teeth problems from both of my parents who had similar issues. In all the teeth but one broke at or near the gumline. The option would be to have a bridge / tooth on a retainer type thing (“flipper”). As Mark mentions they will most likely give you a flipper to wear in between your oral surgeries and getting your final tooth. Sometimes if the tooth is in the back, people choose not to use the flipper. All my implants have been in the top of my mouth in or near the front. Mark described the process in his post. You must go back and forth between an Oral Surgeon and Dentist. The whole process takes about 9 months. It is expensive, my dental insurance paid for about half of it.

In your case, since your tooth is in the back the other option would be to just have it pulled and not get an implant. I have that with one of my back upper molars and have never had any issues.

As I mentioned before, I have permanent pain issues with some of my implants that it looks like I am going to have to live with for life. This is not an experience most people have, but for me it has worked out that way. The pain seems to involve my sinuses and can change from day to day but is what it is.

^ Sorry to read about your difficulties, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Sorry to read about your difficulties, Steve.
    Just to be clear, my implants have happened over the course of the last 20 years and not all at the same time. I had my first one after my front tooth broke off at the gumline at the bottom of the Grand Canyon while eating a steak when I was in my late 30’s. We were on vacation and did not get back home where I could see my dentist so I walked around with a big gap in my teeth for a week. Luckily, it was not too painful. I have had other teeth break at various times in the years since. One eating beef jerky, one eating a hard Macdonald French Fry and one eating an omelet with a hard piece of bacon in it. All my implants are in the top of my mouth in the front which is part of the reason for the pain I think since upper implants are so close to the sinuses. Oh well, it is what it is at this point.

I managed to escape the fun of implants.

They pulled several teeth, and the rest were ground to stumps. Then they mounted a series of crowns and bridges onto the stumps.

I now have a pearly-white set of (porcelain) upper teeth, and can smile again. In fact my "smile" looks better than it did when I was in my 20s.

It was a very uncomfortable process that took a few weeks (but was far easier than implants) - and I've had them for 13-or-so years, and have no problems.

ef1c5ab666fc5977f0d2d8ac46f7eb5f.dental-bridge.jpg
    (Click to enlarge)
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 05-23-2021 at 10:51 AM.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I managed to escape the fun of implants.

They pulled several teeth, and the rest were ground to stumps. Then they mounted a series of crowns and bridges onto the stumps.

I now have a pearly-white set of (porcelain) upper teeth, and can smile again. In fact my "smile" looks better than it did when I was in my 20s.

It was a very uncomfortable process that took a few weeks (but was far easier than implants) - and I've had them for 13-or-so years, and have no problems.

ef1c5ab666fc5977f0d2d8ac46f7eb5f.dental-bridge.jpg
    (Click to enlarge)
    I also have several crowns. A few of the implants were originally crowns that the stump underneath broke which ended up having to implants. My teeth have been a mess over the years. All of my front upper teeth are either implants or crowns.

And now I'm having a stoned conversation about black beans and rice.....wtf....

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    That's what I made for dinner last night. Far out!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    In your case, since your tooth is in the back the other option would be to just have it pulled and not get an implant.
    This may be what I do. I'm pretty sure I can get by without it, and no one can see it. I have some bling in there (a gold onlay or crown or something) - they'd better return that to me, I'll melt it and make a bullet!

This may be what I do. I'm pretty sure I can get by without it, and no one can see it. I have some bling in there (a gold onlay or crown or something) - they'd better return that to me, I'll melt it and make a bullet!
    Ah……The Man With The Golden Gun!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Hard to find good black beans or red beans and rice up here in the north country. I love them both though.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Ah……The Man With The Golden Gun!
    I once worked with a guy whose nickname was Nugget (Nugg for short), one of his two front teeth on the top was gold (or covered in gold) with an N engraved in it.

I once worked with a guy whose nickname was Nugget (Nugg for short), one of his two front teeth on the top was gold (or covered in gold) with an N engraved in it.
    Along with my other dental parts and pieces I have a gold tooth in the back on the bottom.

I'm so lucky to have good teeth. I've had only two fillings in my entire life and they were both on the same tooth.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I've been hitting the treadmill/walking outside for a year and a half now. I mowed the lawn for the first time last week. Usually the first few times mowing leave me winded and I have to take breaks. It's a big yard. This time I plowed through with barely a break.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm so lucky to have good teeth. I've had only two fillings in my entire life and they were both on the same tooth.
    When I had a problem with cavities was when I drank soda, which literally use acid as a preservative. Once I kicked the Mountain Dew habit, cavities ceased being a problem. I never really had tooth decay growing up because my parents couldn't afford to buy soda.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've been hitting the treadmill/walking outside for a year and a half now. I mowed the lawn for the first time last week. Usually the first few times mowing leave me winded and I have to take breaks. It's a big yard. This time I plowed through with barely a break.
    Excellent progress!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    My wife is the opposite of me. I think she has had only one or two fillings as well, and no major dental issues.