Page 236 of 239 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239 LastLast
Results 5,876 to 5,900 of 5969

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

If there is one sport I rather not want to watch it's golf. It might be a nice game to play, but watching it, No thanks. Not that I really love to watch soccer, or ant other teamsport, though I used to watch ice-hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Yeah, but then you have to watch soccer which is worse than commercials.
    LMAO...

It's a great sport, but I'd watch golf, girls softball, bowling, hockey before I'd watch soccer.
    Anyone who would call it "soccer," rather the football like the rest of the world doesn't get it. Like the rest of the world gets it.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

The British used the word soccer before Americans. It's Association Football. North American football is gridiron football.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Like with most sports, people get wrapped up in the drama side stuff rather than the contest at hand.
    There are few sports that focus on the teamwork, athleticism, and endurance more than soccer.
    Oh, and it's international, and you don't have to watch just the Premier League.

Oh, and extra points if you get the prog references in the video.
    That's fantastic
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I used to have the American disdain for soccer/football but after watching Ted Lasso and Welcome to Wrexham, I kinda get it now. I at least get the passion for it. Compared to North American football and basketball, the lack of scoring is frustrating (though it's about the same as hockey). My heart spins and dances for baseball more than anything but I finally understand why people in the world get so emotional about the beautiful game.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

We have Messi down here on our MLS team. Couldn't care less. Again, it's a great sport. I've watch World Cup, Copa America, but I grew up watching the NFL, MLB, and NBA.

By the way, I'm drinking green beer. It was placed on front of me.

The stadium for the Phoenix "Major League Soccer" team is quite small. Roughly the size of the multiple ballparks used for Cactus League baseball spring training games. The stadium is no Wembley by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    By the way, I'm drinking green beer. It was placed on front of me.
    I'm green with envy.
    Last edited by progmatist; 03-18-2024 at 12:36 PM.

In DC they built a new MLS stadium because the old stadium was Too Big. I haven't been to Audi Field, but I imagine that the 'more intimate' size makes it seem more exciting.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    If there is one sport I rather not want to watch it's golf. It might be a nice game to play, but watching it, No thanks. Not that I really love to watch soccer, or ant other teamsport, though I used to watch ice-hockey.
    I am not a regular golf watcher, but will occasionally tune in when it is a major. It probably makes a difference if you play the game as you really realize how impossibly difficult what those guys pull off actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I used to have the American disdain for soccer/football but after watching Ted Lasso and Welcome to Wrexham, I kinda get it now. I at least get the passion for it. Compared to North American football and basketball, the lack of scoring is frustrating (though it's about the same as hockey). My heart spins and dances for baseball more than anything but I finally understand why people in the world get so emotional about the beautiful game.
    Although the scoring may be similar, hockey has many many many more shots on goal than soccer does and the action is lightning fast in comparison. I will occasionally watch soccer when it is the Olympics or World Cup, and our local WMU Bronco soccer program has become quite good in recent years so occasionally watch their games, but I don't think I will ever become a big fan of the sport.

I never watched much golf. It was fun turn on the TV when Tiger prowled the course in his prime, eating grown men alive. There was nothing like seeing him starting a Sunday strokes behind the leaders and hitting impossible shots, the crowds would get into it, and the leaders would hear that sound. He'd get into their heads and they'd start choking knowing he was hitting birdie after birdie, going further and further under par. It made for great television.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I never watched much golf. It was fun turn on the TV when Tiger prowled the course in his prime, eating grown men alive. There was nothing like seeing him starting a Sunday strokes behind the leaders and hitting impossible shots, the crowds would get into it, and the leaders would hear that sound. He'd get into their heads and they'd start choking knowing he was hitting birdie after birdie, going further and further under par. It made for great television.
    Tiger is one of the best to have ever played the game. An amazing Athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Tiger is one of the best to have ever played the game. An amazing Athlete.
    I have a hard time calling them athletes. I wouldn't call someone who shoots pool or bowls an athlete, especially when I think of John Daly.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I have a hard time calling them athletes. I wouldn't call someone who shoots pool or bowls an athlete, especially when I think of John Daly.
    That may have been true 40 years ago, but most of today’s golfers are all in superb physical shape with extensive workout routines and training regimens. There are a few like Daily who don’t fit that mold (and he has not been competitive in years), but is the exception these days.

That may have been true 40 years ago, but most of today’s golfers are all in superb physical shape with extensive workout routines and training regimens. There are a few like Daily who don’t fit that mold (and he has not been competitive in years), but is the exception these days.
    Agreed.

One of Tiger Woods's biggest contributions to golf was that he was the first top-level player to follow a very tough fitness and strength regime, specifically geared toward the game. Now - of course - they all do it. (Daly doesn't count )

Similar thing with race car drivers. I've seen a few videos in which top athletes join Nascar or F1 drivers in their daily workouts, and come out hammered.

E.g. some F1 drivers have placed in the top 10 in extreme cycle races with over 1,000 participants, including professionals.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Agreed.

One of Tiger Woods's biggest contributions to golf was that he was the first top-level player to follow a very tough fitness and strength regime, specifically geared toward the game. Now - of course - they all do it. (Daly doesn't count )

Similar thing with race car drivers. I've seen a few videos in which top athletes join Nascar or F1 drivers in their daily workouts, and come out hammered.

E.g. some F1 drivers have placed in the top 10 in extreme cycle races with over 1,000 participants, including professionals.
    Yes, race car drivers are remarkably similar to golf in that today almost every driver at the top levels of the sport has extensive physical training regimens. They also do a lot of electronic mental training that is not something that was available until more recent times. The days of the good old boy racing driver is long gone

I agree that Tiger Woods forever changed golf. The dude has always been jacked and in top physical shape and he inspired a whole generation of golfers to follow his lead.

Can anyone access Dime-a-Dozen. When I try it just comes up as an error.

I just tried it. Error message

Golf would be highly entertaining to watch.............................if played only during thunderstorms.

What does a golfer do in a thunderstorm?

Steps into the middle of the fairway, and holds his 1-iron up high.

'Cuz even God can't hit a 1-iron!

Regards,

Duncan

Yes, race car drivers are remarkably similar to golf in that today almost every driver at the top levels of the sport has extensive physical training regimens. They also do a lot of electronic mental training that is not something that was available until more recent times. The days of the good old boy racing driver is long gone

I agree that Tiger Woods forever changed golf. The dude has always been jacked and in top physical shape and he inspired a whole generation of golfers to follow his lead.
    Remember the old Wide World of Sports broadcasts in the 70's - 80's? They had a cross discipline obsticle course competition at one point. Baseball, basketball, football, etc. all represented. Guess who won? The race car driver.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

It's back.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Had a suprise last year when I went to start repaying on my student loan after the covid restrictions and it was gone.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

The Francis Scott Key bridge was hit by a cargo ship early this morning and has collapsed.

https://www.aol.com/francis-scott-ke...070830939.html
    Last edited by Shadow; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:59 AM.