Page 178 of 243 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181182188228 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,450 of 6052

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

^ Fascinating anecdotes, Enidi. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Fascinating anecdotes, Enidi. Thanks for posting.
    Thanks so much

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    Mort Garson released two occult albums. Black Mass and The Unexplained. He mastered the art of making dark Electronic Music and both albums were highly influential to Electronic artists globally.
    I once worked with a guy who lent me a tape of Ataraxia:The Unexplained. I tried to find a copy for years after that, finally finding one in decent shape at a record show--this was pre-WWW. Everybody always talks about his Zodiac record but they hardly ever mention this one which I like a whole lot better.

We were playing that one time to amuse a friend of ours and we had this little motion-sensitive fiber optic light thing that would light up and spin around in response to the sound. Our Himalayan cat Sweetie ran across the room and zoomed up the carpeted support column in our family room and jumped off near the top and landed right on top of the light and broke a couple of the fiber optic strands, but it still worked. Then we played Jarre's Oxygene and our friend said it was like traveling in space.

The aforementioned guy from work also lent me a grocery bag full of cassettes that he made of his electronic music collection, mostly TD and a few Schulze albums, most of which I'd not heard before. I now own all of that stuff on CD. When I played Timewind for the first time I was driving down the highway at night and the ending of Bayreuth Return startled the crap out of me. Those are illegal to give out in my town now. The plastic grocery bags, not cassettes of TD.

Great stuff, Enidi!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I once worked with a guy who lent me a tape of Ataraxia:The Unexplained. I tried to find a copy for years after that, finally finding one in decent shape at a record show--this was pre-WWW. Everybody always talks about his Zodiac record but they hardly ever mention this one which I like a whole lot better.

We were playing that one time to amuse a friend of ours and we had this little motion-sensitive fiber optic light thing that would light up and spin around in response to the sound. Our Himalayan cat Sweetie ran across the room and zoomed up the carpeted support column in our family room and jumped off near the top and landed right on top of the light and broke a couple of the fiber optic strands, but it still worked. Then we played Jarre's Oxygene and our friend said it was like traveling in space.

The aforementioned guy from work also lent me a grocery bag full of cassettes that he made of his electronic music collection, mostly TD and a few Schulze albums, most of which I'd not heard before. I now own all of that stuff on CD. When I played Timewind for the first time I was driving down the highway at night and the ending of Bayreuth Return startled the crap out of me. Those are illegal to give out in my town now. The plastic grocery bags, not cassettes of TD.
    This is a timeless story! This is really great..thank you for sharing this !

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Jersey??!! FFS.
    Millville and Vineland are in the Pine Barrens and that area has sand quarries (blue holes) for the glass factories that were the main industries. Lots of weird stuff at the blue holes.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I was talking to my mom and she said a doctor here cited that people more likely to get Alzheimer's are those without college degrees and he felt this had to do with them being less educated. But I started having some theories of my own, given my dad worked in a glass factory and his father worked in a glass factory (although I am still convinced other health issues such as a stroke affected my grandfather). I'm not sure if this is a valid idea since I do not hold a medical degree, but I'm thinking if education has something to do with Alzheimer's, maybe it is more that not going to college leads to environmental exposure to things that could contribute to it. People who did not go to college for years often wound up in the military, factories, mining and agriculture and as such, were subject to work environments that were more toxic, with exposure to conditions and substances that could have contributed to a breakdown in how the brain works. Whereas people who went to colleges often get white collar jobs or work in positions where such conditions are limited. I think it is more than not sitting in a classroom as someone drones on about Madam Bovary, but I am a donut influencer, so I probably am not all that sharp on this...

What do you think?
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 09-18-2022 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Food on a stick should be a food group

Alzheimer's is genetic.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Did someone put acid in the water or something?

Even though I've aged...I am not completely jaded. If I listen to National Health...there are sections of the music that stop me in my tracks and I stare out the window...for example...certain passages written and played by Dave Stewart and Alan Gowen . Some of those pieces that draw you in. Pieces that never age to me.

Gilgamesh has the same affect on me. Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom, Hatfield And The North, Soft Machine have this affect on me where I feel like I'm in a dream. To me all of the aforementioned were genius writers. The style was different and unique.

I sometimes listen to Art Zoyd which to me..I interpret their writing as music from an underworld. They can, ( at times), sound very creepy in a more sophisticated way . They have a tendency to build upon a theme with a dark style that is sporadic and hypnotic in sections.

I play the music of Bella Bartok a lot. I enjoy John Adams, Ingram Marshall, David Bedford and Wendy Carlos. I am old and I live for this stuff. These people are timeless artists .

I've always been fascinated with Bob Moog's history. Particularly during the 60s when Wendy Carlos and Bob Moog began socializing and Switched On Bach was released. Or Sonic Seasonings where Wendy Carlos used field recordings to create the vibe of seasons and music that was hauntingly beautiful and differed completely from other Electronic Music of those times.

Paul Beaver was a very important person because he changed music ( generally speaking)..because other artists around the world began emulating his ideas . The Grace Cathedral performances were influential to musicians at that time. The style began turning up in Progressive Rock

Beaver And Krause...In A Wild Sanctuary sounds a bit like mid 70s Krautrock not unlike Guru, Guru..Mani and Friends. Paul Beaver helped design a synthesizer for Keith Emerson and Bernard Krause worked with George Martin and the Beatles. They were pioneers of the synthesizer. There was something very magical about that time period.

Mort Garson released two occult albums. Black Mass and The Unexplained. He mastered the art of making dark Electronic Music and both albums were highly influential to Electronic artists globally.

Ruth White 7 Trumps Of The Tarot And Terry Riley Rainbow In Curved Air. This is what I live for.
    And there are also the usual handful of obscurities that could sit among the same league, had they been given the chance. Nik Pascal Raicevic, Laurie Spiegel, Moolah, Lorq Damon, Chuck "Celluloid" Minuto, Bill "Dreamies" Holt and Master Wilburn Burchette to name a few...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I play the music of Bella Bartok a lot. I enjoy John Adams, Ingram Marshall, David Bedford and Wendy Carlos. I am old and I live for this stuff. These people are timeless artists .

I've always been fascinated with Bob Moog's history. Particularly during the 60s when Wendy Carlos and Bob Moog began socializing and Switched On Bach was released. Or Sonic Seasonings where Wendy Carlos used field recordings to create the vibe of seasons and music that was hauntingly beautiful and differed completely from other Electronic
    I wish Wendy Carlos work would be easier available. It looks likes she has disappeared completely. The only thing I have from her is her Switched On box-set. I have also an album by Bognermayr and Zuschrader with an endorsment by her. Her work is nowhere to be found.

Alzheimer's is genetic.
    Most people with Alzheimer's have the late-onset form of the disease, in which symptoms become apparent in their mid-60s and later.

Researchers have not found a specific gene that directly causes late-onset Alzheimer's disease. However, having a genetic variant of the apolipoprotein E (APOE) gene on chromosome 19 does increase a person's risk. The APOE gene is involved in making a protein that helps carry cholesterol and other types of fat in the bloodstream.

APOE comes in several different forms, or alleles. Each person inherits two APOE alleles, one from each biological parent.

APOE ε2 is relatively rare and may provide some protection against the disease. If Alzheimer's disease occurs in a person with this allele, it usually develops later in life than it would in someone with the APOE ε4 gene.
    APOE ε3, the most common allele, is believed to play a neutral role in the disease—neither decreasing nor increasing risk.
    APOE ε4 increases risk for Alzheimer's disease and is also associated with an earlier age of disease onset. Having one or two APOE ε4 alleles increases the risk of developing Alzheimer's. About 25 percent of people carry one copy of APOE ɛ4, and 2 to 3 percent carry two copies.
    APOE ε4 is called a risk-factor gene because it increases a person's risk of developing the disease. However, inheriting an APOE ε4 allele does not mean that a person will definitely develop Alzheimer's. Some people with an APOE ε4 allele never get the disease, and others who develop Alzheimer's do not have any APOE ε4 alleles.

Recent research indicates that rare forms of the APOE allele may provide protection against Alzheimer’s disease. More studies are needed to determine how these variations might delay disease onset or lower a person’s risk.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I was talking to my mom and she said a doctor here cited that people more likely to get Alzheimer's are those without college degrees and he felt this had to do with them being less educated. ...
    What do you think?
    My understanding, and I could be quite wrong, is that Alzheimer's is less likely to occur in people with very active minds. That the mental activity helps in warding off the disease. My mother passed recently from Dementia/Alzheimers. She was one of a group of 8 siblings. Only 3 are still alive, but one of them is the oldest. She was Dean of the School of Nursing at Morgantown, W. Va., and spent her whole life in academia, working well into her 70s. Intelligent, and with a very active mind. Only her youngest sister, who is also still alive, had a similar profile among the siblings.

It's one case, and it's anecdotal, but it illustrates the point, which did not originate with me.

I was talking to my mom and she said a doctor here cited that people more likely to get Alzheimer's are those without college degrees and he felt this had to do with them being less educated. But I started having some theories of my own, given my dad worked in a glass factory and his father worked in a glass factory (although I am still convinced other health issues such as a stroke affected my grandfather). I'm not sure if this is a valid idea since I do not hold a medical degree, but I'm thinking if education has something to do with Alzheimer's, maybe it is more that not going to college leads to environmental exposure to things that could contribute to it. People who did not go to college for years often wound up in the military, factories, mining and agriculture and as such, were subject to work environments that were more toxic, with exposure to conditions and substances that could have contributed to a breakdown in how the brain works. Whereas people who went to colleges often get white collar jobs or work in positions where such conditions are limited. I think it is more than not sitting in a classroom as someone drones on about Madam Bovary, but I am a donut influencer, so I probably am not all that sharp on this...

What do you think?
    Using one's brain can at minimum reduce the severity of Alzheimer's. Things like solving crossword puzzles, learning a musical instrument, et cetera, et cetera. Earning an undergraduate degree teaches one how to learn. Those who earn one continue learning throughout their lifetime.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    And there are also the usual handful of obscurities that could sit among the same league, had they been given the chance. Nik Pascal Raicevic, Laurie Spiegel, Moolah, Lorq Damon, Chuck "Celluloid" Minuto, Bill "Dreamies" Holt and Master Wilburn Burchette to name a few...
    I spent many hours on the phone talking to Chuck Minuto. His Neptune release is very unique to me. He had some amazing stories to tell me. He was like an actor...his impersonations are outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I wish Wendy Carlos work would be easier available. It looks likes she has disappeared completely. The only thing I have from her is her Switched On box-set. I have also an album by Bognermayr and Zuschrader with an endorsment by her. Her work is nowhere to be found.
    I bought most of her catalog...I believe back in the late 90s and early 2000s when they were released on East Side Digital. She is deeply angered or generally disappointed over streaming...downloads...and for some reason she won't pursue the idea of re-releasing her music on cd. I've been researching her history regarding this matter .however I haven't found a straight answer as to why . I get the impression that she is angered by the industry exploiting her ...but...that could be dead wrong...as I don't believe anything has been confirmed.

Vineland and Millville have a history of cults. There were several cults surrounding the Cumberland County area.
    The cult of Menantico wasn't the only one.

People participated in devil worship at Crystal sandwash. On Delsea Drive ( rt. 47) where the road splits in Millville and to your left is High St. and to your rt is housing development in front of the woods. In those woods a Satan cult met to worship in the 80s.

Laurel Lake NJ and Port Norris have a history of cults. Vineland has had the most sightings over decades. Obviously some cults in Vineland fled because they knew the police were being called. That was an on going pattern in the mid to late 70s when a few of them were caught trying to repeat the ritual at Menantico.

Ravyn Guliani states that her family belonged to the 3rd Generation Watchtower Society and that when she was a child they tried to channel a demon through her . According to Ravyn they tried at first through Automatic Writing. They would place a feathered pen in her hand while they chanted in another language. She also said that they would lower her into a pit of dead snakes in Mill Woods. They would stand above the pit chanting.

Also...on Mill Road was an isolated incident involving a farmhand Juan Rivera Aponte back in 1957. He wanted to make a certain girl fall in love with him. He murdered 13 year old Roger Carletto and buried his body in dirt beneath the shack he lived in. He dismembered the kid's body and used his powdered skull in a Black Magic spell of some kind...that did not work. He died in prison.

Aside from documented cases people have a definite tendency to not believe that cults exist.

This becomes rather confusing to a number of people because there are in fact thousands of towns all over the U.S. where these kinds of crimes have never existed and no mention of cults in the towns history.

Regarding criminology itself and the study of a occult related crime...it would in fact appear that throughout history several of these cases were sabatoged by certain individuals working with authorities.

If you research the history it's happened several times when the police consulted with an occultist to solve the crime...or to rule out the involvement of a cult as a spot on lead in an investigation.

As I stated several times before...that in the early 70s and in one particular homicide case an occultist managed to steer the cops away from the lead by insisting that witches are all about nature and the earth.

This is technically incorrect and especially in New Jersey during that time period when there were covens practicing Black Magic in the woods. People disappeared and strange incidents took place with the locals in Vineland...threatening to take the law into their own hands if the city officials didn't do something about it.

Obviously in the early 70s people hunting, fishing, camping, or having a party didn't appreciate their presence.

There was also a lot of Duo Worship. People belonging to 2 cults and enjoying it. ....which is unheard of in the 21st century it seems. I recall people believing in God and Satan...which is self explanatory as to why police interrogated a few churches in Vineland after a ritualistic killing at Menantico.

An interesting aspect to this subject matter is the police work. Studying the science of these crimes. Stumbling on to a lead which could ...in the end...bring justice to the victim's killer. ...but not every investigator is like Columbo

Crazy stories. I have absolutely no doubt that cults exist in the US.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Alzheimer's is genetic.
    CAN BE genetic. My understanding is nobody knows what actually causes it.

My understanding, and I could be quite wrong, is that Alzheimer's is less likely to occur in people with very active minds. That the mental activity helps in warding off the disease. My mother passed recently from Dementia/Alzheimers. She was one of a group of 8 siblings. Only 3 are still alive, but one of them is the oldest. She was Dean of the School of Nursing at Morgantown, W. Va., and spent her whole life in academia, working well into her 70s. Intelligent, and with a very active mind. Only her youngest sister, who is also still alive, had a similar profile among the siblings.

It's one case, and it's anecdotal, but it illustrates the point, which did not originate with me.
    It was a thought. I just could not get "lack of education" around my head. My dad was an avid book reader, tied fishing flies and was very active.

I bought most of her catalog...I believe back in the late 90s and early 2000s when they were released on East Side Digital. She is deeply angered or generally disappointed over streaming...downloads...and for some reason she won't pursue the idea of re-releasing her music on cd. I've been researching her history regarding this matter .however I haven't found a straight answer as to why . I get the impression that she is angered by the industry exploiting her ...but...that could be dead wrong...as I don't believe anything has been confirmed.
    I suppose it might also have to do something with her past always being dug up, especially the part she doesn't want to be reminded of. One Playboy interview goes a long way and with internet, nothing can be kept a secret.

Crazy stories. I have absolutely no doubt that cults exist in the US.
    We have an orange cult in existence right now.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Banned

I tend to think you're right based on my anecdotal experience and observations. I've noticed that older friends, relations and acquaintances that don't read, write, play chess, or somehow challenge themselves mentally seem to be in decline at some level (my subjective unscientific observations for sure). There have also been multiple studies showing that exercise reduces the risk of dementia, particularly vascular-related cases. One very recent study shows Risk of dementia reduced 50% by walking 9,800 steps a day.

I'm not an expert, so I could be wrong on some angles.

What do you think?

Mmmmhhh!!!... Common "wisdom" in Western Europe had it that it was an engineer disease or at least intellectually strong people, but it turns out that some people who reach retirement and become couch potatoes and avid stoopid TV nuts develop it as well.

But yup, exposure to chemicals since the start of the Great Accelaration (see the Anthropocene geological age to see what that means) is quite a major lead to find out about how it starts.

However, when I was a kid, it seems no-one was diagnosed Alzheimer (or Parkinson)... but those who had it were catalogued as heavily senile, but life expectancy between the two WW was 15 years less than it is today, so they died before bodily functions stopped working..

Alzheimer's is genetic.
    It can be... my dad and his father were very similar physically and both had it (my dad "caught it" 10 years sooner than his dad did. Both had gone to university and had cerebral job, thpough my grandad had a few burnout (which my dad didn't) and got caught up in fucked-up post-war purification thing: he worked in a mining plant in a highly collaborative (flemish) area (he worked in a mining ore plant that worked for the wermacht during the occupation). He got trapped via a fake denunciation thing, which turned upon the people that signed it. The fact tha my grandad was french-speaking was even worse and he got sent to "mental treatment" (electroshocks). My uncle has never developped anything in the genre (Alzheimer or Parkinson), but my dad did, though none were involved in my grandad's post-war history.

I can imagine electroshocks can create this kind or predisposition to such diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Using one's brain can at minimum reduce the severity of Alzheimer's. Things like solving crossword puzzles, learning a musical instrument, et cetera, et cetera. Earning an undergraduate degree teaches one how to learn. Those who earn one continue learning throughout their lifetime.
    Keeping mentally active seems to work, but nothing garanteed. Maybe a mix of physical and mental activity is the answer.

It was a thought. I just could not get "lack of education" around my head. My dad was an avid book reader, tied fishing flies and was very active.
    Remaining mentally active is a way of life that I want to make sure to follow as long as I can. If I develop it, I'll make sure that my last activity is the one to end the slide by terminating myself. As I said, I've seen two people in my family develop it and hopefully, I'll be able to tell if it occurs to me soon enough.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.