Page 233 of 239 FirstFirst ... 133183223229230231232233234235236237 ... LastLast
Results 5,801 to 5,825 of 5969

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Well with meat, fish and poultry I'm very carefull. I trust the date and my nose. If my nose says no, I don't care about the date on the package, I just return it.
    And technology that can smell is still in its infancy, with limited applications.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    And technology that can smell is still in its infancy, with limited applications.
    Luckily I still have a good sense of smell.

Wasn't this the intense hobby horse of at least one former denizen of these parts?
    ars technica - Surprising link found between niacin and risk of heart attack and stroke
    Surprising link found between niacin and risk of heart attack and stroke
    Breakdown products of niacin, aka Vitamin B3, may spur vascular inflammation.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

^^ So if/when the new Niacin album comes out, we should avoid it?

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Wasn't this the intense hobby horse of at least one former denizen of these parts?
    ars technica - Surprising link found between niacin and risk of heart attack and stroke
    Surprising link found between niacin and risk of heart attack and stroke
    Breakdown products of niacin, aka Vitamin B3, may spur vascular inflammation.
    Oh, there's troll I never want to see again.

In geezer fitness news, I have found a cold/hot therapy that works on the tendinitis on my foot. Baby steps on the treadmill this week and so far, it's going good.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

You know you're old when all you talk about is food, and cooking with old people. At this moment, I'm having a stoned conversation about black beans and white rice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    You know you're old when all you talk about is food, and cooking with old people. At this moment, I'm having a stoned conversation about black beans and white rice.
    I actually love Black Beans & Rice. Not something you find up north here very often.

So what else is there to talk about regarding being a damn, old geezer?.....

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The weather.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Anyone had any success predicting weather with arthritis? My ankle is bugging me this weekend and y'know, we got a two-day winter system moving through. Coincidence?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Not predictions…..below 70 degrees, the arthritis in both knees and one elbow ache. Below 32 degrees, add both ankles! I walk like Frankenstein most winters.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Forgot to wish NogbadTheBad a happy retirement Friday.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Anyone had any success predicting weather with arthritis? My ankle is bugging me this weekend and y'know, we got a two-day winter system moving through. Coincidence?
    We had a 2 day Winter in northern Ohio this year.

I've got a left toe that kinda went psychotic on me. It's all gnarled. Not sure what caused it. Neuropathy, or diabetes. It doesn't hurt but it's ugly looking.....

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Forgot to wish NogbadTheBad a happy retirement Friday.
    A sentiment full of redundancy, but I'd also chime in with well wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Meanwhile California is experiencing a record blizzard in the Sierras.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Very very strange winter in Michigan this year. We basically had two snow events the whole winter which is very very unusual, especially for the west side of the state. February was the warmest on record in the history of weather forecasting. We even hit 70 degrees which I do not remember ever happening in my 62 years of living in the state.

^ We used to be one of the places in the country that was known for harsh Winters. (Not Jerjo harsh, mind you, but harsh.) The narrative persists in the national media, but we haven't had a harsh Winter in 20 years. Not what I knew when I was a kid. This year was the mildest yet. Every time I hear "El Nino" or "La Nina," I think, "Get out the suntan oil."

It's snowed a handful of times, all but one an inch or less. Melted within a day or 2. I shoveled once, after 3 inches, but only because I buy a lot online, and didn't want to have a situation where the mail lady took a fall.

This is the first of my 52 winters where there was not one pile of snow to be seen in the corner of a parking lot anywhere in town. Ploughs simply weren't required this year because we never had more than a day or two of a light dusting of snow. I never saw anyone shoveling nor did I track salt inside from the boots I didn't need to wear. And I live just outside of Toronto; at least a quarter of my life has been spent in snowy conditions (if not closer to a third). Tomorrow the forecast is 15C (59F). In early March. We've had the odd mild winter here and there, but never a non-existent one. No kids playing in the snow; Christmas was grey and green; insects are going to be rampant this coming spring and summer.

Apart from the lack of icy roads and sidewalks, I'm not a fan of this at all.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Very very strange winter in Michigan this year. We basically had two snow events the whole winter which is very very unusual, especially for the west side of the state. February was the warmest on record in the history of weather forecasting. We even hit 70 degrees which I do not remember ever happening in my 62 years of living in the state.
    Gave Alex DeWolf a call this evening and he said it will be in the 70's tomorrow in Chicago. It was in the 60's today in Baltimore. We sure had had a lot of rain. Supposed to rain five of the next seven days.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Meanwhile California is experiencing a record blizzard in the Sierras.
    'Tis true.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    There were a few years when thought we got off easy all winter here and then got nailed at the end of March/early April, and I ended up with 5 hr. ride home from work and a 6 hr. ride home another time, and in one case we had no power for 5 days and I had to take vacation time to keep the wood stove going.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This is the first of my 52 winters where there was not one pile of snow to be seen in the corner of a parking lot anywhere in town...
    That's a surprise.

I only needed to break out the snow thrower twice this year - a BIT less than most years, but it varies a lot.

I get pissed-off when people say "it didn't snow this year because of climate change" ... or "it snowed a lot this year because of climate change"... History shows that there's huge year-on-year variability in the snowfalls (in my area anyway).

But there's always one constant ... This:

51df410600933b7edcab6e6064ede5bc.jpg

(Click to enlarge)
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I get pissed-off when people say "it didn't snow this year because of climate change" ... or "it snowed a lot this year because of climate change"... History shows that there's huge year-on-year variability in the snowfalls (in my area anyway).
    It's more about the extremes and the undeniable patterns.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It's more about the extremes and the undeniable patterns.
    Yes. Unfortunately most news outlets cover weather sensationally, so every “bomb cyclone”, “nor’easter”, “heat wave” or “polar vortex” becomes melodramatic and eventually linked to climate change, helping to lead to fatigue and skepticism about the topic. It also doesn’t help that in the age of the internet we hear about every international weather incident, which warps our perceptions as to the frequency that these events actually occur historically (which I call shark attack syndrome).

But I think if you’re able to cut through that, the extremes and patterns are indeed frightening.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.