Page 160 of 241 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170210 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 4,000 of 6006

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I'm optimistic I won't have to delete any more posts.
    Not happening brother!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth
    I'm optimistic I won't have to delete any more posts.
    What I posted yesterday is missing today. I had posted something I thought was humorous and relevant, and did not think at the time that anyone might see it differently. I certainly did not intend to offend anyone, and if I did, I sincerely apologize.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    What I posted yesterday is missing today. I had posted something I thought was humorous and relevant, and did not think at the time that anyone might see it differently. I certainly did not intend to offend anyone, and if I did, I sincerely apologize.
    I was offended and didn't even see it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Geez.....spent the entire Day yesterday dealing with Retirement Home, Dialysis Center, Doctors offices......relatives between WA OR & FL and My Mother! It appears she stopped going to Dialysis 2 weeks ago. Welfare checks were initiated and I "was summoned" to deal with it. Ma pissed because doctors "tattled" on her....Me explaining what a welfare check was.....(she knew the phone calls were about her Dialysis so never answered them.)

Some scene like this happens every spring & fall. I think she is trying to exert some control over her life. Dialysis was the target this time. After speaking to all parties involved She has been skewing the truth for some time.

She is still sharp as a tack.....It was also brought to my attention my older brother hasn't visited her since last July (lives across country) And has been lax keeping in touch via e-mail. Younger brother (who lives a couple miles away & drives by her Apt. to work every day) hasn't visited since Christmas.

Brothers were told to "step it up" and be a little more interactive. Cost's nothing to sit with your mother a couple hours and talk to her.

Going to her GP visit next month to discuss "Comfort Measures". That's the process of death via Kidney failure after the cessation of Dialysis.

She's 86 ....all her lifelong friends are either immobile or in Dementia. Only contact is with 89yo brother..... She says "I'm ready to go."

She is actually in pretty good shape because the Dialysis and the associated lab work allows caregivers to monitor her health in real time.

I think this was just a cry for help.......(I visit her every 7-10 days so I didn't notice that no one was contributing)

I'm sure many of you have had similar experiences with your family / siblings. Just passing this along to you youngins' what to expect as you approach your 60's!

I have stories of the "stunts" my grandparents pulled at their retirement communities in the 70's & 80's.

Grandpa pulled a (butter) knife out and threatened nurse station claiming they stole his whisky!

Grandma pulled aside and told to stop telling the residents that cat food was being served in the dining room!

Grandpa called Dad and asked for a pencil. (he was lonely)

A lot of this was just a cry for attention. The first two examples were my Ma's parents!

Keep the old folks in your thoughts........
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Sorry you're going through this, Gary!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I'm sure many of you have had similar experiences with your family / siblings. Just passing this along to you youngins' what to expect as you approach your 60's!
    I guess I've been blessed. My siblings and I were all extremely supportive of my parents throughout their lives, and particularly, at the end. (My Dad passed away in January.)

When my Mom was on her last legs in 2012 I flew overseas to be with her, and so did my 2 sisters (one on Australia, one in New Zealand). When my dad passed - similar thing - we were all there for him this last January - and stayed at my brother's place.

Working through the will is always a PITA, but (again) my 3 siblings have been a joy to work with, and we're all in agreement on details and all contributing as we can.
    Regards,

Duncan

I still remember when my dad was in rehab (not for alcohol or drugs) in February 2020 and I got a complaint from the lady responsible for the food, because my dad used to take Dutch honey cake, currant bread and butter, which was only served in the weekend, from the breakfasttable and take it to his room and store it in a cupboard, to eat it on another day. Of course there was a limited supply of it, so it was not ment to be taken to ones room. My dad complained about the bread that was served, so I brought him bread from the bakery we always bought our bread. My dad also complained a bit about the view from his room, which looked out on old houses. The rooms on the other side of the building looked out on a nice park.
    I wish I would get these complaints now.
    In December 2020 he was back at the location and this time he had a room at the side of the park. Alas is condition at that time was very bad and he couldn't enjoy the view. He died that month.

The day after all my Ma bru-ha-ha I spent the afternoon with my long time friend (45years) Don. Diagnosed with Stage III Pancreatic Cancer in September 2019, he is still fighting 2 1/2 years later. He has outlived his first medical implants (stents & port) and had them renewed once. He celebrated his 65th birthday last month. Has a very rare version (only 1% get this) and there wasn't a fixed treatment. They are making it up as they go and are doing a Fine job of treatment. The cancer has now progressed into his liver & one lung. It was a stark contrast when we discussed treatments. He said "Yeah, there are mornings where I don't want to go to chemo.....but the alternative is clear....death by cancer." My Ma's condition is chronic, not terminal like Don's. Her treatments would keep her in a pain-free healthy condition...all she has to do is show up. Kind of a comparison between two people who look at life as a Glass half full vs. Glass half empty. Anyway, there's the comparison between two of my closest human beings.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Good luck, Gary! Sorry about all that stuff.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    having issues with my dad now.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Woke up this morning with a gout attack in my left ankle, and I've got a mile walk to the post office to do. I am not enjoying this getting/being old stuff.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Geezers are eligible for the 2nd Covid Booster April 1st. Got mine yesterday.....no waiting....no after effects. On with life. Got the expected ration of S#it from my anti-vaxxer acquaintances.

Geezers are eligible for the 2nd Covid Booster April 1st. Got mine yesterday.....no waiting....no after effects. On with life. Got the expected ration of S#it from my anti-vaxxer acquaintances.
    Unfortunately the funding has run out for free Covid vaccines, diagnostics and treatments. With little prospect of being renewed.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I always thought the 'freeness' was dependent on both government programs and insurance.
    I don't pay ( or copay ) for vaccines at the pharmacy because I have insurance.
    Even with the early covid 2 shots and booster I was expected to provide insurance info.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Crap! I just bent over to pick something up and pinched a nerve in my back. Similar thing happened a couple of months ago. It started in the 90's, and just happens for no apparent reason. I do back exercises that I learned at physical therapy back then, and my back wasn't even bothering me. Hmm, I did do some work yesterday that may have brought it on, but I sure didn't get any advance warning.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Crap! I just bent over to pick something up and pinched a nerve in my back. Similar thing happened a couple of months ago. It started in the 90's, and just happens for no apparent reason. I do back exercises that I learned at physical therapy back then, and my back wasn't even bothering me. Hmm, I did do some work yesterday that may have brought it on, but I sure didn't get any advance warning.
    You need a "Therapeutic" message (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Unfortunately the funding has run out for free Covid vaccines, diagnostics and treatments. With little prospect of being renewed.
    Actually, they did finally cut a deal for an additional $10 billion. But, yes, it had run out because of, well, you know.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I always thought the 'freeness' was dependent on both government programs and insurance.
    I don't pay ( or copay ) for vaccines at the pharmacy because I have insurance.
    Even with the early covid 2 shots and booster I was expected to provide insurance info.
    You do not need to have insurance to get shots in the US.

That's one thing they got right.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    You need a "Therapeutic" message (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).
    Yes there is such a thing, as comedian Jim Norton was surprised to find out, as "legitimate" massage.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Actually, they did finally cut a deal for an additional $10 billion. But, yes, it had run out because of, well, you know.
    But that $10B was significantly less than what the administration was seeking. And even that required massive rearranging of budget priorities.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    But that $10B was significantly less than what the administration was seeking. And even that required massive rearranging of budget priorities.
    That's true. But helping people and saving lives is not a priority with a certain segment of our government.

I had to deal with my AC unit today. Took the day off. Thank goodness I have a shop vac. I changed the filter and it's fixed. Or the pipes might be clogged with scum and I'll have to stick a hose on the intake and blow out all the scum.....

^ Blow out the scum muthafukkahs!!!!

Bah ha ha....

Older Americans reflect on what the pandemic has taken from them - TIME!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/welln...6/matter-time/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I had to deal with my AC unit today. Took the day off. Thank goodness I have a shop vac. I changed the filter and it's fixed. Or the pipes might be clogged with scum and I'll have to stick a hose on the intake and blow out all the scum.....
    Putting up with idiots while putting up with being a geezer:

My AC crapped out last Summer and the guy who installed it says he's not going out on calls anymore; he's too old, but good news: he'll send his son over to take care of me, he's taking over responsibility for all the service calls.

Guy shows up and he looks like he's just out of high school, not necessarily a deal-breaker but a yellow flag. He goes up in the attic and spends the better part of an hour rummaging around up there and then comes down and declares that I need to get an electrician to have a look because he doesn't understand how the unit is wired up, something looks funny. Well, you guys are the ones who installed it. Oh, well, he still thinks I need to get an electrician in to have a look.

More good news, the guy who married my brother's widow says he'll have a look, goes up in the attic and comes back down and informs me that while the wiring job wasn't how he would have done it, it's fine, except somebody (apparently the kid) left the access panel open and disconnected the wiring and left exposed wires just hanging there with no wire nuts on 'em, so he hooked it all back up and says it looks to him like the motor is just shot, but he's not an AC guy, and he refuses to take any money from me.

I call the original installers back and when the kid comes back again he spends more time up in the attic doing who knows what before coming down and saying he's stumped, so he suggests calling a different company. He leaves and I call his old man and inform them of their uselessness.

In the meantime I had noticed an HVAC company truck while driving around and the truck had a few logos on it for the various brands of equipment they specialize in, and one was Bryant, the brand that made my compressor and air exchanger. I give 'em a call, they send a guy over and he tells me while he's still up in the attic that the motor is burned out, something that anyone who's ever done any basic AC service should have been able to figure out. The bad news is that the exact replacement would be months out because of the supply chain problems, but he has a different motor out in his truck that would get me running again and I'd never notice any difference, and it would be for less money anyway. Because he's up in the attic, I've got my head sticking up through the access opening and just happen to notice that I could see lights coming through the ceiling below when he moved his headlamp in another direction, so I mention it and he discovers that the flexible duct has been kicked loose from the vent in the kitchen ceiling, presumably while the useless kid was up there uselessly flailing around, which explains why I had noticed "attic smell" in the kitchen for the past several days. A half hour later I had cool air coming out of the vents. I just checked web.archive.org, and sometime between my adventures and December of last year, the original HVAC company's web site disappeared.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 04-06-2022 at 05:19 PM.

^ Well, last year I needed a plumber. A friend recommended Sam The Plumber. That's right. Sam is 80 years old and drives a rusted out, Ford Bronco. He shows up with his grandson, who's taking over the family business. And the kid did a great job, with Sam's supervision. I trusted the old man more than the kid. Amazing. The kid was smart but "common sense" is no longer common. They fixed it. That's all that matters.