Page 90 of 239 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100140190 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 5969

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    Great, like there's not to many people on the planet already. Was thinking the other day about all the different causes of climate change (other than fossil fuel burning, theres tilling soil which releases nitrogen to the atmosphere) Because we can't feed the world population without factory style farming. I think to save the planet (ok, the planet will be fine, we're fucked) we need to start accepting our mortality, stop trying to stay alive at all costs.
    If we are f@@ked, it’s because we chose to be so. The Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor (LFTR) is being ignored because of the alternative energy green and oil mafias are winning. Meanwhile China and India are working on it. I could write much about it, but look for videos on YouTube. Advantages:

1. There is practically an inexhaustible supply of Thorium
    2. Not a proliferation threat
    3. Waste has half life of 50 years
    4. Designs are very efficient, not requiring rivers and oceans for cooling
    5. Incredibly small footprint on the earth compared to wind and solar, if entire energy use was supplied.
    6. Can be used to convert CO2 in air to diesel which can be used until infrastructure is transformed. The net carbon in this case is zero.
    7. Can be used to produce hydrogen, the ultimate fuel to power the new motion architecture.
    8. Enables solutions which permit much more energy without impact to biosphere.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Oh, thorium. The element. I thought you meant thorazine, the drug, and had no further concerns for our future.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Did anyone see the 60 Minutes interview with George Church a few weeks ago? He is a top geneticist at Harvard and says age reversing will be available around 2029.
    There will never be a cure for being hit by a bus.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

When I started hitting the treadmill again I was hitting about three quarters of a mile in twenty minutes and I felt winded. Yesterday I did a mile and a half and instead of being winded, I felt great. That's turning back the clock for me.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    "age reversing"? So, we'll get younger? I can't wait until I'm 19 again.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    There will never be a cure for being hit by a bus.
    By happy coincidence, Oxford University biologist Paul Wilson, no relation to his brother Steven, says that by 2034 there will be a pill that gives you the ability to jump over oncoming buses.

BREAKING NEWS ...

John Travolta was hospitalized for suspected COVID-19, but doctors now confirm that it was only Saturday Night Fever, and they assure everyone that he is Staying Alive.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Corny but funny.... lol

Happy Sunday.
    Here is a fun report from Blue Cross/Blue Shield about a 200% increase ( 2013-2017 ) in early onset dementia and Alzheimer's in young people.
    In case you had plans.

https://www.bcbs.com/the-health-of-a...merican-adults
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Happy Sunday.
    Here is a fun report from Blue Cross/Blue Shield about a 200% increase ( 2013-2017 ) in early onset dementia and Alzheimer's in young people.
    In case you had plans.

Or a surge in doctors looking for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Happy Sunday.
    In case you had plans.

Or with healthcare expansion, a surge in people being able to see a doctor to be diagnosed. Particularly younger people.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    It wouldn't have to be a surge since the numbers are still so small for those under 65. The one thing we can be sure of is if everything were controlled the same way, there would not be a 200% increase over five years.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    It wouldn't have to be a surge since the numbers are still so small for those under 65. The one thing we can be sure of is if everything were controlled the same way, there would not be a 200% increase over five years.
    Similarly, the recent surge in Autism Spectrum diagnoses has more to do with some people on the spectrum formerly diagnosed as developmentally disabled. The more doctors learn, the more accurate the diagnosis of a host of conditions, and therefor more appropriate treatments.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Similarly, the recent surge in Autism Spectrum diagnoses has more to do with some people on the spectrum formerly diagnosed as developmentally disabled. The more doctors learn, the more accurate the diagnosis of a host of conditions, and therefor more appropriate treatments.
    They'll spend the rest of their career studying what is an obvious treatment. In 1998 the NIH obtained a patent on the use of cannabinoids (CBD,THC) as a neuroprotectant. Rage and epilepsy are some of the issues with the Autistic. The repair of oxidative stress goes a long way to help.

https://www.projectcbd.org/medicine/...n-book-excerpt
    https://www.projectcbd.org/cbd-for/a...m-disorder-asd

FREE RADICALS & PHYTOCANNABINOIDS
    Mitochondria Busters & Boosters

Deficiencies of omega 3 oils and probiotics, low vitamin D levels, and other nutritional imbalances contribute to mitochondrial dysfunction. Ditto for many prescription pharmaceuticals, artificial sweeteners, and toxic food additives. Rooted in poor dietary choices and lifestyle habits, cancer can be thought of as a mitochondrial metabolic disorder. Sugar feeds cancer, while saturated fats starve it.

Antioxidants found in many plants have long been promoted as natural food supplements to minimize harm from free radicals. A vitamin-like antioxidant known as CoQ10 or ubiquinone facilitates mitochondrial function. Foods rich in CoQ10 include broccoli, cauliflower, sesame seeds, oily fish, chicken, and grass-fed beef. In addition to a healthy diet, exercise is a great way to boost mitochondrial repair and regeneration. Several scientific studies also show that low-level laser therapy can accelerate the healing process by triggering mitochondrial activity and ATP synthesis. — Project CBD
    Although mitochondria allow energy to be accessed at a measured pace in relatively small quantities, the process of cellular respiration, whereby cells extract energy from nutrients, still can be damaging. High-energy electrons offload their energy in a multitude of complicated steps, until the lower-energy electron is finally released onto an oxygen molecule. Ideally, the oxygen molecule will interact with hydrogen and form water, which is very stable.

But sometimes the ionized oxygen, called superoxide, can escape, resulting in oxidative stress. Similarly, other unstable molecules like peroxide and hydrogen peroxide, can form and escape. These unstable, renegade molecules are called reactive oxygen species (ROS) or free radicals. Free radicals cause damage by interacting with DNA, cell membranes, proteins, or other organelles.

By effectively neutralizing free radicals and mitigating oxidative stress, antioxidants confer a broad range of therapeutic benefits—from slowing down the aging process to reducing the risk of DNA damage linked to cancer. THC and CBD are both potent antioxidants, according to the U.S. government, which filed a patent on the antioxidant and neuroprotective properties of cannabinoids based on research from 1998. This patent underscores one of the great hypocrisies of federal drug policy, which disingenuously maintains that cannabis has no medical value.
    Last edited by Firth; 03-10-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Watch out for Covid-19

It spreads like Influenza
    Nobody has any resistance since its completely new
    Mortality is 5-10 as big as with Influenza.

If everybody gets it at the same time, there is noone to take care of you, so its crucial to slow down the speed of the spreading.
    If you get it now, its is more likely that the hospitals can take care of you. In a month or two there might be too many casualties.
    Smokers has a bigger risk.

Banned
    ”I mean, people always say, well, the flu does this, the flu does that,” Fauci said. “The flu has a mortality of 0.1 percent. This has a mortality rate of 10 times that. That’s the reason I want to emphasize we have to stay ahead of the game in preventing this”.
    - Anthony Fauci of the Coronavirus Task Force testifying before Congress today. Mr. Fauci is an immunologist who has made substantial contributions to HIV/AIDS research and other immunodeficiencies, both as a scientist and as the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

The danger is for people over sixty with under-lying conditions. My wife is 63 and has diabetes (though she has gotten her blood sugar back down to borderline numbers since being diagnosed) so anxious person that she is, she's freaking out. Poor thing has been stockpiling supplies like a survivalist.

Anyone know anything about heart rates and exercise? I check mine on the treadmill while I use it. The rate averages between 110-120 on a good day. But I have noticed that some days, like today, my rate is far higher than that (hit 137 today) so I have to back off my pace. Does anyone else experience these fluctuations on different days when exercising?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Denmark shuts down schools and universities to fight coronavirus pandemic

https://www.thelocal.dk/20200311/den...to-fight-virus

Denmark's Prime Minister has announced that the country will close all kindergartens, schools and universities for two weeks to slow the spread of the coronavirus virus.
    All public sector employees who do not perform critical functions will also be sent home on paid leave.

AND btw 200 died from Covid-19 in Italy - today.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Denmark shuts down schools and universities to fight coronavirus pandemic

https://www.thelocal.dk/20200311/den...to-fight-virus

Denmark's Prime Minister has announced that the country will close all kindergartens, schools and universities for two weeks to slow the spread of the coronavirus virus.
    All public sector employees who do not perform critical functions will also be sent home on paid leave.

AND btw 200 died from Covid-19 in Italy - today.
    Italy has the oldest population with a death rate of 5%. Vs 3.5% global. But percentage of what, well of people who have symptoms. 5.5% of people hospitalized in the US for flu, die.

^^^

And it seems like the incubation time is from 2-12 days, and you can spread it in this period.
    So its gonna be very interesting!

At the same ting it would be so nice if people didn't panic and hoard.

Banned
    Fatality rates varies dramatically depending on the age of the individual. No deaths occurred in those 9 and younger, but cases in those aged 70 to 79 carried an 8% fatality rate, and those aged 80 years and older had a fatality rate of 14.8%. The rate was 49% among critical cases, and elevated among those with pre-existing conditions, to between 5.6% and 10.3%, depending on the condition.

Banned

I’m not sure how a flu death rate could be calculated.

The NBA is pulling the plug and suspending ALL games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The NBA is pulling the plug and suspending ALL games.
    I have a feeling this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. What scares me even worse is we don't have someone in charge responsible enough to deal with the situation. This is a life and death situation where the people in charge have to care more about the people than themselves. I think the NCAA should have cancelled all their games as well. I wonder if the NHL will follow suit, you can't have people fighting and bleeding on each other. I'm supposed to see Steve Hackett Sunday but I'm starting to have second thoughts about that.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Anyone know anything about heart rates and exercise? I check mine on the treadmill while I use it. The rate averages between 110-120 on a good day. But I have noticed that some days, like today, my rate is far higher than that (hit 137 today) so I have to back off my pace. Does anyone else experience these fluctuations on different days when exercising?
    Jerol, I can give you a lot of info on that.

I exercise hard, regularly, and usually wear a heart rate monitor during the whole workout. E.g. when cycling, my computer provides me 9 different metrics - including speed, distance, power output, pedal RPMs (aka cadence), and ... heart rate - and a few others. I.e. I monitor it closely all the time.

There's a MYTH that your maximum heart rate ts 220 minus your age. I exceed that 3 or 4 times a week. That formula is okay as a very crude starting point, but you can't rely on it.

Your personal max is a function of your condition, whether your body is used to pushing hard, temperature, tiredness, recent nutrition, genetics, and several other factors. In other words, there's no simple formula that calculates it, and it will change.

So the fact that your heart rate fluctuates and may sometimes spike high is not necessarily a problem. If you feel excessively bad while it's happening - stop. If you're just feeling tired and worn out from it, good - that's the point of exercise!

My general thoughts on heart rate are:
    - You'll only improve your condition if you constantly push yourself beyond your comfort zone.
    - Don't over-do it, because that causes more harm than good
    - Don't under-do it, because that will not yield improvements
    - So start slow, set yourself a gradually increasing target heart rate, and stick to the program - BUT be cautious of trying for a number if (e.g.) you're sick, it's excessively hot, etc.
    - Over time, you'll learn where your personal limit is - and you need to work to (or close to) that limit to maintain condition.
    - You absolutely CAN achieve a high level of strength and fitness over 60. You just have to be careful. The main 2 differences for us geezers is that we need a bit more recovery time between tough workouts, and we lose condition faster if we take time off.

This is all a huge over-simplification, of course. And (excuse the cliche, but) ask your doctor

Let me know if you'd like to discuss details.
    Regards,

Duncan