Page 51 of 243 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 6052

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

I do a sort of self hypnosis to fall asleep. Count back from 999, if I get distracted start over. Works for me.
    I used to use Benedryl ( Diphenhydramine), it worked, but it seemed to develop tolerance. Higher doses made for 'hang over/slow mornings'.
    It also is not recommended for older folks. I'm not there quite yet, but close enough.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I drink copious amounts of hard liquor.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Hmm, that's odd. Melatonin is produced naturally in the body, but decreases with age. If you didn't have those effects naturally when you were younger, I don't know why you would now when you supplement.
    I was talking about Ambien not Melatonin

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    THERE’s a recipe for hard mornings.

Been there done that reformed.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I suspect you're joking, Greg, but for the past couple of months since I got this infection where the cough lasts forever, I (really) have to take 2 Tylenol w/codeine every night so my cough gets suppressed when I'm supine & I can sleep. My doc, who already prescribed a course of antibiotics to no avail, agrees after that that it's viral and needs to run its course. She's of the mind that as long as I don't take any at all except before bed (& I don't) it's not a problem.

I'd rather not be talking opiods (albeit mild) every night, but there isn't an alternative since cough medicine is useless.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Heh. One of my dogs has taken to snoozing on my pillow before I come to bed. When I lay down and scoot him over, my pillow is full of pet dander! That's caused me some nasal retentive calliope music for sure!

I'm pretty new here, but started getting into prog back on rec.music.progressive when I was 19. Started with DT related prog then and their influences made me check out 70s prog which took many years to appreciate because I loved the new stuff.

Anyways without going into much personal detail, before I did any drugs or psychedelics, my first life changing experience was fasting on water for 6 days. I read a book by Paul Bragg called the "Miracle of Fasting" and decided to try it one summer (right before ProgDay '96). Long story short, it changed my life, started eating healthier, juicing, eating less processed foods, etc.

I do admit I have a narcissist side to me that "young" is beautiful and that I wanted to make it to at least my 80s looking like my 20s. Now that I'm in my 40s, I've changed my views.

Never married, no kids, no desire too. I've always thought Hugh Hefner was the quintessential man, lived in a mansion and had the finest of everything. And lived to a ripe old age. Women kept him young at heart. (something I am lacking is any woman, but I'm into prostitutes so I'll stay single until a woman chooses me)

Anyways that why I like teen stuff and keep up with that culture. I think that girl who was on Dr. Phil, the Cash me Ousside girl is doing a damn good job as a mack. And she's only 15 years young.

Paul Bragg lived to be in his 90s, also Jack LaLane who died around the same age 95-96..all young at heart and full of zest of life. I don't think I'm down for that transhumanism stuff...and come to accept if I die, it was God's time for me to go.

Now David Rockefeller dying at 101...that's OLD and he was a p.o.s imo

P.S. I find it interesting that fasting has gone more mainstream. It is the greatest physician within if you do it correctly. Intermittent fasting is popular and people say they have more energy. Neuroscience has confirmed that your immune system regenerates itself just from 2 days of fasting, along with all your other organs. If you get a tune up/oil change on your car to keep it for life, you need to fast to cleanse your body from toxic garbage. It takes discipline but once you start feeling like you are in your peak of youth, age doesn't seem like it matters, or wrinkly skin, grey hairs.
    Last edited by tommy_n_chucky; 04-10-2018 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Drugs aimed at ameliorating old age symptoms are going to be HUGE BUSINESS as we boomers transition to geriatrichood.

They'll come to late for most of us to be of any help....

Who wants to endure 80-sumthin' health for three more decades??

Too bad euthanasia isn't part of it.
    DYI, dude

I know I will.

No way I want to be part of therapeutic relentlessness, and keep me alive, just so "they" can profit of the social care reimbursements

I care too much for my country welfare and medicare to want to be a major burden and digging durther the debt it is into.
    Last edited by Trane; 04-10-2018 at 05:40 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_n_chucky View Post
    I find it interesting that fasting has gone more mainstream. It is the greatest physician within if you do it correctly. Intermittent fasting is popular and people say they have more energy. Neuroscience has confirmed that your immune system regenerates itself just from 2 days of fasting, along with all your other organs. If you get a tune up/oil change on your car to keep it for life, you need to fast to cleanse your body from toxic garbage. It takes discipline but once you start feeling like you are in your peak of youth, age doesn't seem like it matters, or wrinkly skin, grey hairs.
    Fasting can be dangerous if done incorrectly or too often. I agree small episodes of fasting a couple of days every month or so can be cleansing.... But it's not a miracle answer to anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_n_chucky View Post
    I do admit I have a narcissist side to me
    So did Hefner. If you're rich you can afford to be.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 04-10-2018 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I was talking about Ambien not Melatonin
    Ah, that makes sense then.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I suspect you're joking, Greg, but for the past couple of months since I got this infection where the cough lasts forever, I (really) have to take 2 Tylenol w/codeine every night so my cough gets suppressed when I'm supine & I can sleep.
    Yes, I'm not serious, haven't had a drink in 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    They'll come to late for most of us to be of any help....

Who wants to endure 80-sumthin' health for three more decades??
    I don't think they will come too late. Even a healthy 80 year old could live a lot longer with far greater health than a typical 65 year old today.

A 60 year old today can be healthier just by taking NR for a dollar a day and that newish vitamin B3 supplement is only the beginning.

Age 70 - year 2028. Ten years of taking more powerful health pills and stem cell treatments including for the heart and brain (strokes) will have been around for 5 to 7 years with Alzheimer's disease in the past.

Age 75 - year 2033. Improvements of the above.

Age 80 - year 2038. Rejuvination technology much more powerful than 2028.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I don't think they will come too late. Even a healthy 80 year old could live a lot longer with far greater health than a typical 65 year old today.

A 60 year old today can be healthier just by taking NR for a dollar a day and that newish vitamin B3 supplement is only the beginning.

Age 70 - year 2028. Ten years of taking more powerful health pills and stem cell treatments including for the heart and brain (strokes) will have been around for 5 to 7 years with Alzheimer's disease in the past.

Only a small fraction of the population could take advantage of this, the rich.
    In general they are the ones concerned that 'somebody else will get my money and stuff'
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Maybe I'm not making myself clear in what I meant to say...

I would be interested if these meds came on the market today, when I'm still 55... Then, I don't mind living another 30 years with today's health
    But these meds won't come on the market for another 20 years (at best), so I'll be 75 then (IF I'm still alive then), but I won't be interested to live another 30 years with my 75yo health (especially that I won't have a good one, IMHO, knowing the abuse I did throughout my whole life).

In other words, prolonging life is only interesting if you keep the health of a 40 yo when you're 95, which mean that uyou'll have to start with those meds when you're 40
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Only a small fraction of the population could take advantage of this, the rich.
    In general they are the ones concerned that 'somebody else will get my money and stuff'
    Right, just like only a small fraction of the world can take advantage of having a smartphone, the rich. Hold it...65% of the world now uses a smartphone. That includes 35% of Indians now use them and their GDP per capita (PPP) is only $7,000 a year.

250 mg of NR costs me $300 a year. For an average Indian, that is 4% of her income; for an average Chinese, that is 2% of his income and for an average American, that is 0.5% of his income. Future treatments will also become cheaper over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Maybe I'm not making myself clear in what I meant to say...

I would be interested if these meds came on the market today, when I'm still 55... Then, I don't mind living another 30 years with today's health
    But these meds won't come on the market for another 20 years (at best), so I'll be 75 then (IF I'm still alive then), but I won't be interested to live another 30 years with my 75yo health (especially that I won't have a good one, IMHO, knowing the abuse I did throughout my whole life).

In other words, prolonging life is only interesting if you keep the health of a 40 yo when you're 95, which mean that uyou'll have to start with those meds when you're 40
    Penicilin was aguably the first health pill, but I think only about 1% benefited from it in terms of saving their lives - for a while. NR is likely to be the first widely available health pill that notably improves the health of those over 45, especially if not fit: able to walk 8% faster, helps with cognitive function as well as helps arteries. NMN is also available and seems to have added effects to NR but both are NAD+ boosters that have been shown to be safe.

What is with "the meds won't come on the market for another 20 years at best" prediction? My point is that you won't be living with 75 year old health another 30 years but much younger. Those in the longevity field have been talking about 90 year olds looking and feeling 60 for the past 15 years. For whatever reason, only a small fraction of baby boomers are following this. My theory is that everyone is busy with career, family and entertainment.

Edit: In 2012, I looked up statements by top researches in the 'anti-aging' field (I'd say health/longevity field) about when the first "health pills" would be on the market, and I'm not sure if they were only talking about drugs, which NR and NMN are not. The outlier was a researcher at the U of Washington whose research on Rapmycin with dogs was featered on the front page of the NY Times in 2015. He emailed back that while the science was almost here if not here already, it could take 20 years if the FDA blocked it. I thanked him but pointed out the FDA only affects the US so Japan, China or the EU, Madagscar, etc. could allow it. All it takes is one country.

The other 8 scientists' statements who are at the top of this research said 5 to 10 years in 2012 so adding the scientist I emailed barely moved the average: 2021/2022.
    Last edited by yamishogun; 04-10-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Right, just like only a small fraction of the world can take advantage of having a smartphone, the rich. Hold it...65% of the world now uses a smartphone. That includes 35% of Indians now use them and their GDP per capita (PPP) is only $7,000 a year.

250 mg of NR costs me $300 a year. For an average Indian, that is 4% of her income; for an average Chinese, that is 2% of his income and for an average American, that is 0.5% of his income. Future treatments will also become cheaper over time.
    Perhaps in some magical post scarcity world could everyone live forever.
    The reality is more like, treatments will be available and work for some but not all. At some cost, determined by market forces.
    At the same time, the inexorable forces of nature ( the devil, mutations, evolution, aliens, climate change, supervolcanos, crazy dictators/scientist/priests ) are trying to cut that lifespan short.

There is a sci-fi novel Holy Fire, by Bruce Sterling that imagines a not too distant future that offers rejuvenation to those that can afford to take the chance.
    amazon com Holy Fire
    -- Aristotle

rejuvenation to those that can afford to take the chance.
    Rejuvenation will forever be science fiction. There are too many processes involved in cell aging, the problem with telomeres (the Hayflick limit) cannot be overcome without causing cancer, and cells have evolved to inevitably die from the very beginning of multi-cellular life.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling BS.

Perhaps in some magical post scarcity world could everyone live forever.
    The reality is more like, treatments will be available and work for some but not all. At some cost, determined by market forces.
    At the same time, the inexorable forces of nature ( the devil, mutations, evolution, aliens, climate change, supervolcanos, crazy dictators/scientist/priests ) are trying to cut that lifespan short.
    I never said anything about living forever, just longer and much healthier lifespan. All humans have remarkably similar bodies so there is no long term problem there as tweaks can take care of the 1% that may not get some benefit. It looks like stem cell therapy will become widely available by 2020 according to what I've read. Maybe 2021 or 2022.

I never said anything about living forever, just longer and much healthier lifespan. All humans have remarkably similar bodies so there is no long term problem there as tweaks can take care of the 1% that may not get some benefit. It looks like stem cell therapy will become widely available by 2020 according to what I've read. Maybe 2021 or 2022.
    True, but for many extending a lifespan ( as several here have noted ) extends the costliest and most painful part of a life.
    Providing some cheap nutraceutical might cut down on deaths in the middle portion of life.
    Eventually the wear and tear of life breaks us all down, teeth, skin and bone. Our personal genome and biome have been under attack since birth.
    Us folk have been bathed in exotic chemicals and substances our whole lives. Our grandparents may have experienced only late in life.
    There will be treatments, oh yes, with pages of side effects.
    I am not saying that life is not worth living to some personal expectation of fullness.

I believe this miraculous meatbag that is Me will last as long as it can and then die.
    I certainly hope it won't be soon and that I won't wish for it too much near the end.
    -- Aristotle

I believe this miraculous meatbag that is Me will last as long as it can and then die.
    I certainly hope it won't be soon and that I won't wish for it too much near the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Allen
    I'm not afraid of dying.

I just don't want to be there when it happens.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I know a lot of people report side effects with it. For me, about the only issue is memory loss. If I take it, and then stay up, sometimes I can't remember what I did just before going to bed the night before. It also gives me the munchies similar to weed and sometimes I find myself eating odd things before I go to bed. Other than that I have never had any of the more out there side effects that some people report.
    Yeah. my wife takes it and a few weeks ago I came downstairs in the morning and found a mess from canned Haggis in a bowl on the counter! She did not remember making it!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    20180410_103829.jpg

Knee replacement scar.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The visual image of canned haggis is far worse than the actual image of Ian's knee.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Oh, right before bed, sweet dreams, not.
    Looks like they implanted an American football in there.

Hope the PT and party favors help make the Good Times return soon.
    -- Aristotle