Page 11 of 242 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Do they really send you a bill for a couple dollars or is there a penalty attached?

My son and his friends were coming back from a concert in the wee hours one night and accidentally got into the EZ Pass lane. No one was around so they backed up and went through the cash lane. He ended up getting a bill for $25 in the mail (the toll is normally $1).
    Can't speak for MA, but in my state this is the case as well (though it's a $50 "ticket" instead).
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

So, old geezers, what are your retirement plans?

I doubt I'll ever be able to afford to retire
    Regards,

Duncan

But if I do retire, here is my retirement plan in a single picture:

Regards,

Duncan

Am I the only one who knows that's actually you and Ahrlene (sp?)?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    So, old geezers, what are your retirement plans?
    My wife and I started going to a financial advisor about 15 years ago and it is the smartest thing we ever did. We are in much, much, much better shape than we ever would have been on our own. I hit 30 years with the same company in about 2 weeks and just turned 55. We will have our house (Condo) paid off in 2018, so I hope to retire within 5 years or less. We’ll see……..

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Am I the only one who knows that's actually you and Ahrlene (sp?)?
    Oops - we're busted!

LOL
    Regards,

Duncan

I retired 11 years ago... (at 45!)
    Spend the summer months traveling on the Harley......
    Started planning for retirement at 19....hey, I knew then I didn't want to work my whole life....
    Looking at relocating now...... I HATE the Pacific NW for the grey skies.....will sell the home and buy a place on the Pacific Ocean (WA state still...but the cheapest ocean-front property on the west coast) Then a winter property maybe in AZ or NV (NV good - no income tax like WA)
    This stuff takes a LOT of planning.....so far, I've done a pretty good job of it......

Oh....and when I'm done, neither property will have grass so I'll need to yell something else besides "Git Off My Lawn!"
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Retire ?? NO WAY !
    I love what I do ! (kit. bath etc remodeling) My 'job' is to make people's dreams come true. Improving the quality of their lives. Always interesting and quite 'artistic' most of the time. I don't have 'customers', I make friends !
    The money is OK, and the fringe benefits are cool. Lots of leftovers when they upgrade everything. I can't remember how many TV's I've given away to friends. (I kept the 65'' Sony projection unit) 8 X 10 L shaped Italian leather couch w/built in recliners (barely fit my liv. room) etc. etc. I tell people I'm going to die on the job someday when I'm in my 90's !!! LOL !!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I retired 11 years ago... (at 45!)
    Spend the summer months traveling on the Harley......
    Started planning for retirement at 19....hey, I knew then I didn't want to work my whole life....
    Looking at relocating now...... I HATE the Pacific NW for the grey skies.....will sell the home and buy a place on the Pacific Ocean (WA state still...but the cheapest ocean-front property on the west coast) Then a winter property maybe in AZ or NV (NV good - no income tax like WA)
    This stuff takes a LOT of planning.....so far, I've done a pretty good job of it......

Oh....and when I'm done, neither property will have grass so I'll need to yell something else besides "Git Off My Lawn!"
    I grew up in that area, and my brother has a weekend house at ocean shores. Yeah, the gray skies were enough to make me open my wrists. (with the vein, not against - thats for pussies)

Anyway, 20 years back I moved to Texas, and I'll probably never retire, but I do work from home, so its not the worst situation. The NW is not really home any more, but yeah, tough place to "retire" unless you can get away 9 months out of the year. July 15th thru Sep 15th there is no more lovely place on the planet, but the rest of the year is torture. I lived my younger adult years in Washington in Olympia, and it rains way too much there - not as bad as the coast. Can you still get a single lot at ocean shores for like 5 grand?

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Retire ?? NO WAY !
    I love what I do ! (kit. bath etc remodeling) My 'job' is to make people's dreams come true. Improving the quality of their lives. Always interesting and quite 'artistic' most of the time. I don't have 'customers', I make friends !
    The money is OK, and the fringe benefits are cool. Lots of leftovers when they upgrade everything. I can't remember how many TV's I've given away to friends. (I kept the 65'' Sony projection unit) 8 X 10 L shaped Italian leather couch w/built in recliners (barely fit my liv. room) etc. etc. I tell people I'm going to die on the job someday when I'm in my 90's !!! LOL !!
    That sounds like my life. I picked up a 90 Caddy Broughm in 2000 from a customer with 32,000 mi. for $6000. It was in showroom shape. I think he let me have it because we always treated everyone fair despite how much money and lack of common sense they had. I had to stop because my mother has dementia and I watch her full time.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Retire ?? NO WAY !
    I love what I do ! (kit. bath etc remodeling) My 'job' is to make people's dreams come true. Improving the quality of their lives. Always interesting and quite 'artistic' most of the time. I don't have 'customers', I make friends!
    I think I love you, man! This [below] is what I usually experience:

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

^^^^^^

So true!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Also true....

re-model cartoon.jpg

Banned
    Self driving cars are a bad idea and are retreating because of arrogance. Global and local driving concepts are safe. Having Interstates where the speed is high and the system knows where all of the cars are, would allow cars to go on autopilot.

Retire ?? NO WAY !
    It is great to have a job that you enjoy. I don’t hate my job (most of the time anyway), but I certainly don’t love it either. I don’t think I will miss the anxiety, pressure and stress when it is finally over. Once I do retire, I may work part time at something enjoyable or possibly do some volunteer stuff. We’ll see when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Self driving cars are a bad idea and are retreating because of arrogance. Global and local driving concepts are safe. Having Interstates where the speed is high and the system knows where all of the cars are, would allow cars to go on autopilot.
    I used to think the same thing, but I recently saw an article about self-driving cars for senior citizens who can no longer drive. Since I am going to be one someday, my perspective has changed a bit looking at it from that angle.

From what I'm seeing, they're almost here. There's also a company in San Fran who have a burger joint that is entirely automated. The writing on the wall is that automation is at some point going to make many menial labor jobs obsolete. Thus, the concept of Guaranteed Minimum Income is gaining some traction. The alternative is probably to reinstate the draft and start a war to kill off as much of the underclass as possible.

Self-driving-cars

Worse-idea-ever

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ...a burger joint that is entirely automated. The writing on the wall is that automation is at some point going to make many menial labor jobs obsolete.
    The Bureau of Labor estimates that just under 95% of all jobs expected to be created by 2024 will be low skill/low wage service sector jobs, most of which will be in restaurant/food services and health aides (not doctors & nurses). Of course, capitalism will have imploded by then, ushering in a Mad Max-like global hell-scape. U-S-A!....U-S-A!

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    The Bureau of Labor estimates that just under 95% of all jobs expected to be created by 2024 will be low skill/low wage service sector jobs, most of which will be in restaurant/food services and health aides (not doctors & nurses). Of course, capitalism will have imploded by then, ushering in a Mad Max-like global hell-scape. U-S-A!....U-S-A!
    Shhh!...We can't let the unskilled workers know that. We've tricked them into voting against their own interests. When the trap is truly sprung, it'll be too late!

Banned

The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I used to think the same thing, but I recently saw an article about self-driving cars for senior citizens who can no longer drive. Since I am going to be one someday, my perspective has changed a bit looking at it from that angle.
    Don't disagree that there are benefits, it's just that the engineering sucks because of the Musk hype machine. It can be engineered well, but still sensors are stupid and can have errors. There is no risk assessment. Global info combined with local sensors is way more robust.

I turned 55 this past July. Smoked for 12 years back in my youth, and drank far too much. I got into weight lifting in my thirties. I had the opposite problem of most people,
    in that I was painfully thin with a racing metabolism. (6' 2" and 150 lbs for about 10 years) Made every mistake in the book at the gym. Made little progress for a couple
    years, then decided to really start researching it. Read every book,article, and fitness/bodybuilding mag I could get my hands on for many years. Realized my diet sucked, and
    I was over training severely, with bad form. By the age 54, I was in the best shape of my life, and was up to 205. Depression and a hernia operation recently took its toll, and
    I back slid pretty bad, since I couldn't workout. Started to binge drink again, and got sloppy with the diet. I am finally able to get back to light lifting, which makes all the
    difference in the world for my mental well being. I look forward to getting back to my previous level of fitness, and surpassing it! My job helps as well. I work 4 ten hour
    shifts in the inventory department of a huge mail order pharmacy. It is constant movement. I typically walk 8 to 11 miles on a shift, which includes lots of light to medium lifting.

Retirement? Not in the foreseeable future. Though the job allows me an ability to stay fit easier, the tradeoff is in the paycheck. I am doing my best to keep the median income
    level down here at PE! Having lost 2 jobs during the recession, I decided it was better to take the pay cut and have the stability of a recession proof industry, versus chasing a higher payday.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Retirement plans? I turned 62 this year. I have 2 children: 12 & 13. What do you think?
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Retirement caught me off guard. I had a back injury which required surgery, so I was off for a while, completely intending to return. The surgery was only 50% successful in reducing my pain & mobility. I took the retirement option half heartedly. Suddenly adrift with too much time on my hands threw me into a major depression. Very dark time. I got back into woodworking, that saved my sanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's just that the engineering sucks because of the Musk hype machine. It can be engineered well, but still sensors are stupid and can have errors.
    Apparently, the technological hurdles make scaling up 30 years off, if then.