Page 118 of 243 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128168218 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 6052

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Are you positive, SteveSly?
    You are another one I know.

I have some minor issues matching faces with names.
    With repetition or 'notable features' I don't forget a face.
    What bugs me is when I know people by their handle alone and their real name never sticks.
    There are folks I have seen over the years at festivals and have had conversations, dinners, etc where I don't know their real names.
    I might have been reminded, but it does not stick.
    After a couple of years/meetings I should know, and I fear embarrassment at asking someone after too long having exceeded some statute of limitations.
    So, let it be known that it is never something personal. Just me. Mark.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Sorry, I haven't read the last few weeks posts from this thread. I try and avoid it, bad news abounds in here.

Anyway, you'll all get a kick out of this. Clearing out the house, little by little, and right now I'm going through a nice haul of pictures. Got some dating back a hundred years, maybe more and only the God's know who is in them. More from my childhood and many from years I either wasn't here or checked out, I have no clue who's in these photos.

This stuff is wild, photos of a crazy touristy scene somewhere between Key West and Miami circa 1953. Alligator(croc, whatever) statue, fake flamingos and little jockey statues(I guess) and this dude holding onto upside down and really huge corn dogs hanging from the trees. What kinda tree that is, I have no clue.

Not a lot of it is really interesting but a little bit is and another bit is gonna take some help from sis to hopefully identify the people in these pics. There's history there that only is meaningful to her and I but I'd like to know what the hell I'm looking at here.

It's cool to go through this stuff that's been sitting in drawers for years yet bittersweet knowing most of this minor history is going in the trash. It's my history, and my family's. It may mean nothing to anyone else but there's a little of me and the fam that's going into the dumpster.

Just came across my most awful pic ever. Balboa park, San Diego, summer of '91. I'm wearing a three dollar bright blue Hawaiian print with the buttons undone. With the brillo mullet I had in those days, it's just so very disturbing. At least I wasn't fat like I am now.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 02-05-2021 at 10:17 PM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

^ A historical society or even a library might have interest in those photos. I'm not saying that they have monetary value, but they may be important as documents of a time gone by. Maybe no skin in the game for you, but valuable information for future generations.

Money isn't a point for me, I just want them to go somewhere where they are wanted. Good idea on the library, the closest one is walking distance so I'll hit them up as they might have an answer. I did find a website but they really aren't looking for pics like I have that aren't sports, entertainers or useful action scenes and such. Kinda hard to find sites that take pictures like this, everything seems to be someone buying your own pictures and not pics from days of yore.

Gods, I had sideburns in the '90's. Who knew? I surely do not remember and neither does sis. Almost made the brillo mullet look ok.

Found pics of Mom's graduation class and subsequent 50'th anniversary. Just a little bit of segregation going on there, only two black people. It was Indiana in the '50's, so no stretch of the imagination there but interesting to see. Might not have been very many blacks in Indiana at the time, who knows. Heck, last time I was there I doubt I saw many black people in that area of Indy. It was very WASPY.

Also pics of my Mom's bandaged arm from the dog fight in her bed. Crazy day that was, the house at the end of the cul-de-sac and I arrived right as that was finishing up, or so my memory tells me, and I had forgotten my keys and had to sneak in through the doggy door, back when I could fit through one. Anyway, dog fight was ensuing and they cut the crap out of Mom's arm. I doubt she would have survived if I didn't get home at that moment. She was bleeding hugely.

Also, my burned hand because my friend was a dick. He took lighter fluid, poured it into his hand and lit it in fire. No biggie, only the top of the pour burns, I said and started to do the same when he slapped my hand with the fire before I could get a puddle. Burned me up kinda good yet I have no scars from that. I'm kinda good with burns for some reason. All the 600 degree pizza oven burns I've endured over the years have also not caused scars.

Pics of how much a hoarder my Grandfather was. He had twenty or so sheds full of dog barn parts, as he made them for a local pet store. Really unbelievable how much he made and never used yet alone the amount of crap he had. It's bad enough cleaning this house out let alone that crapload of crap. And I've barely got one room done.

Because the books were in a smoker's house they all stink and so are worth nothing. Can't give them away. I just put one four foot shelf's worth out into recycling and can put no more in there as I won't be able to move it. Books are heavy. This is gonna take time, boxing my stuff up and getting rid of hers.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I have a question for you geezers out there. I am getting ready to purchase a new pair of walking shoes and am looking for recommendations. I just had knee replacement surgery and have flat feet with ankles that turn out a bit. When I google shoes I get mostly adds, and when I post on Facebook I start getting continuous adds, so I thought I would post something here to see if any of you have recommendations since many of you are into exercise.. So, my question is, do any of you have a favorite walking shoe that also provides good support for flat feet? Thanks in advance.

Steve, I use very high-quality hiking boots. They cost a lot (over $200) but I'll guarantee that I would have rolled my ankle and had other severe injuries dozens of times without those boots.

They come pretty high up the ankle, and when the laces are reasonably tight, they're very supportive. I've done 42-plus-mile single-day hikes across rough terrain in those things - twice. They look as heavy as bricks, but are actually surprisingly light.

Best suggestion : Forget about online shopping. You need personal expertise. Either a specialty sports shoe store, or in my case, I went to REI and tried lots of shoes on and solicited advice from the workers - who were surprisingly knowledgeable.

Good luck!
    Regards,

Duncan

Last week I tried to sort out some stuff in my dad's home. Not really great. Finding stuff like traintickets from some vacation, more than 10 years ago, but not finding bills for rather expensive stuff, like a sunscreen. I feld very emotional and started to cry everytime. Some neighbour helped me with packing some stuff. Packing chrystal figurines my mother collected, I gave a lot of those for birthdays and other celebrations, made me miss my mother again (who died in december 2002) and I couldn't help crying again. This week I've hardly been in my dad's home. The neighbour who helps me apparently didn't have time this week to help me and being alone in my dad's home is something that is very hard to cope with.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have a question for you geezers out there. I am getting ready to purchase a new pair of walking shoes and am looking for recommendations. I just had knee replacement surgery and have flat feet with ankles that turn out a bit. When I google shoes I get mostly adds, and when I post on Facebook I start getting continuous adds, so I thought I would post something here to see if any of you have recommendations since many of you are into exercise.. So, my question is, do any of you have a favorite walking shoe that also provides good support for flat feet? Thanks in advance.
    I have been happy ( with several asterisks ) with Merrell footwear.
    I walk two dogs every day over a variety of terrain, streets, sidewalks, grass, mud, etc.
    Mostly 1-2 mile walks a couple of times a day all year round.
    The Moab 2 mid line has been my go to for a number of years. They have a Ventilator (breathable) and 'waterproof' model.
    Pretty light and offer decent ankle support. Not too expensive, somewhere between 85-135 depending on model and sales.
    A couple of colors, if that matters. Not a big break in period, not much care and feeding.
    I've probably got 4-5 pairs of each lying around the house. some of the low rise, which are also pretty nice.
    The asterisks.
    A pair will last me about a year before the mid sole looses it's soul and they become less supportive. It does not mean the soles have holes, or they are falling apart.
    The stock insole is sad and weak, clearly meant to be replaced. So that adds $30-$60 for a Superfoot or Yoursole with better arch and heel support.
    The 'waterproof' model starts to leak after about 6 months ( if I'm lucky ).

This season I bought a different model the Merrell Zion Peak ( waterproof ), which I have been happy with so far. Different construction and a bit more expensive ( 160 ).
    It does not seem like a ringing endorsement, but I use them a lot and comfort and support have been great. I had tried on others but keep coming back in spite of the known limitations.
    I've been an REI member since the 70's and highly recommend them as a resource, the rebate is a great incentive too.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I have been happy ( with several asterisks ) with Merrell footwear.
    I walk two dogs every day over a variety of terrain, streets, sidewalks, grass, mud, etc.
    Mostly 1-2 mile walks a couple of times a day all year round.
    The Moab 2 mid line has been my go to for a number of years. They have a Ventilator (breathable) and 'waterproof' model.
    Pretty light and offer decent ankle support. Not too expensive, somewhere between 85-135 depending on model and sales.
    A couple of colors, if that matters. Not a big break in period, not much care and feeding.
    I've probably got 4-5 pairs of each lying around the house. some of the low rise, which are also pretty nice.
    The asterisks.
    A pair will last me about a year before the mid sole looses it's soul and they become less supportive. It does not mean the soles have holes, or they are falling apart.
    The stock insole is sad and weak, clearly meant to be replaced. So that adds $30-$60 for a Superfoot or Yoursole with better arch and heel support.
    The 'waterproof' model starts to leak after about 6 months ( if I'm lucky ).

This season I bought a different model the Merrell Zion Peak ( waterproof ), which I have been happy with so far. Different construction and a bit more expensive ( 160 ).
    It does not seem like a ringing endorsement, but I use them a lot and comfort and support have been great. I had tried on others but keep coming back in spite of the known limitations.
    I've been an REI member since the 70's and highly recommend them as a resource, the rebate is a great incentive too.
    Good point about the insoles. Even on my $260+ Lowas, I replace their insoles. But I just get the $20-or-so Dr. Scholls athletic insoles. They work for me. Another point about my Lowas : I've hiked in 106-degrees, and climbed in polar conditions - and never had a foot temperature problem.

I'm told that a good pair of boots should be replaced after about 600 miles. Mine are way over due, and this is my 2nd pair!

On the subject of soles - you can't go wrong with any shoe that has a Vibram outer-sole.

I agree about REI. I've tried many other outdoor stores, and always gone back to REI for everything except for cycling. (Their bikes and cycling apparel are second-rate.) Pretty much everything else I've bought for hiking and mountaineering comes from REI. And interestingly, I usually end up getting their house brand - not because it's cheaper, but because it's usually better - and the lower prices are just a bonus.

Hey, Mark, after all this input, Steve is probably going to say f*** it, this is too complicated, I'll just use my flip-flops!
    Regards,

Duncan

I go with New Balance walking shoes because I need EEE width. I'm a bit heavy so I wear the soles out after about a year....as said above, the soles can break down without showing exterior wear. I went into a medical shoe store to buy the first pair.....subsequent pairs were purchased online. Store price $165.00+ online $85-135. Stock insoles are fine with these. For all my other shoes / boots, I put in Birkenstock cork insoles as my normal walkabout shoes are Birks.

Spend a little more than your comfortable with.....keeping your feet in good condition is Paramount in our Geezerdom and you must protect your new knees. Some of my older boots with heels now aggravate my knees due to the angle of the feet. Some of my newer boots have been taken in to have some of the heel height removed.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I was not familiar with REI and just checked out their web site. Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I was not familiar with REI and just checked out their web site. Very cool!
    Steve, REI is a co-op, not a regular store. I.e. they are "not for profit". They do make a profit, but at the end of the year, the distribute that profit back to customers proportionally, based on their spend in the prior year.

They typically hire shop-hands who are well experienced in their specialty. E.g. when buying hiking shoes or mountaineering equipment, I was put in touch with a shop assistant who knew a lot more about those subjects than I did. No, they aren't experts, but they are knowledgeable.

Their stores are widespread, and worth making a trip to find.
    Regards,

Duncan

I bought some hikers called "Keen." Cost about 150.00. I don't hike but they look good, very comfortable, and will probably last for the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Steve, REI is a co-op, not a regular store. I.e. they are "not for profit". They do make a profit, but at the end of the year, the distribute that profit back to customers proportionally, based on their spend in the prior year.

They typically hire shop-hands who are well experienced in their specialty. E.g. when buying hiking shoes or mountaineering equipment, I was put in touch with a shop assistant who knew a lot more about those subjects than I did. No, they aren't experts, but they are knowledgeable.

Their stores are widespread, and worth making a trip to find.
    Looks like there is one in Grand Rapids, which is only about 45 minutes from me. I may have to go up there and check them out.

I really like my Allbirds. Tree Dashers, iirc. Light, feel great, excellent support. $125. Check 'em out.

The only thing I don't like is that they have laces but they're slip on.

https://www.allbirds.com/collections/mens

Good point about the insoles. Even on my $260+ Lowas, I replace their insoles. But I just get the $20-or-so Dr. Scholls athletic insoles. They work for me. Another point about my Lowas : I've hiked in 106-degrees, and climbed in polar conditions - and never had a foot temperature problem.

I'm told that a good pair of boots should be replaced after about 600 miles. Mine are way over due, and this is my 2nd pair!

On the subject of soles - you can't go wrong with any shoe that has a Vibram outer-sole.

I agree about REI. I've tried many other outdoor stores, and always gone back to REI for everything except for cycling. (Their bikes and cycling apparel are second-rate.) Pretty much everything else I've bought for hiking and mountaineering comes from REI. And interestingly, I usually end up getting their house brand - not because it's cheaper, but because it's usually better - and the lower prices are just a bonus.
    Duncan, would you recommend the Lowas for trail-hiking only, or would they be appropriate for paved surfaces? I've moved from running to nearly 100% walking over the past year or so, and most of it is on paved surfaces. I've been using the same shoes I used to use to run in, but have been wondering if there might be something better.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Duncan, would you recommend the Lowas for trail-hiking only, or would they be appropriate for paved surfaces? I've moved from running to nearly 100% walking over the past year or so, and most of it is on paved surfaces. I've been using the same shoes I used to use to run in, but have been wondering if there might be something better.
    David,

I've used the Lowas on some pretty hard surfaces and they were very good. Did the "Hike Across Delaware" twice on a paved surface, and did a 33-miler on the C&O Canal towpath. However I might have preferred something different.

For walking only on paved surfaces, I've found that although my Lowas (and presumably also the Merrell, Vasque, Salomon, etc. equivalents) did work very well, they were probably overkill.

Guesswork follows:

Because of the unyielding surface, a lighter shoe with a more cushioned sole might be a better bet. I'd guess that decent sneakers might be better than running shoes - which as a former runner you'll appreciate are made as light and thin as possible.

A specialty sports shoe outfit might put you into a pair of trail runners, since those are (obviously) made to rough it in comfort. A sort of hybrid between hiking boots and running shoes.

These are the Lowas I'm using - they run $240 right now:
    https://www.rei.com/product/789686/l...ing-boots-mens
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 02-12-2021 at 09:04 PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Good question. I am mainly looking at shoes for walking on hard surfaces and not hiking. Uneven surfaces like trails are still a bit tough on the new knees at this point.

WRT boots, here is a "Best Of" list from last summer.
    Wirecutter reviews best hiking boots
    -- Aristotle

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    REI is a good place to buy hiking boots. Boots are one of the few things I can buy there, because they don't sell tall-size clothing.

Another place that has worked out well for me is Red Wing Shoes. They specialize in work boots, and they know you will be on your feet in them all day. They will have hiking boots and walking shoes available. Well-made and comfortable. They have lots of stores, so it is likely you can try them on before you buy them, a huge advantage over internet shopping.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Steve, you know me, right? Jed

RE: shoes, I had a couple pairs of Mephisto shoes for years. Expensive, but super comfortable, and you can mail them in for repairs and re-soling. I think they're French. My wife says "Finn Comfort" are best.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I have some minor issues matching faces with names.
    With repetition or 'notable features' I don't forget a face.
    What bugs me is when I know people by their handle alone and their real name never sticks.
    There are folks I have seen over the years at festivals and have had conversations, dinners, etc where I don't know their real names.
    I might have been reminded, but it does not stick.
    After a couple of years/meetings I should know, and I fear embarrassment at asking someone after too long having exceeded some statute of limitations.
    So, let it be known that it is never something personal. Just me. Mark.
    I thought your name was Mar. Mar Kwoll?

am mainly looking at shoes for walking on hard surfaces
    Sorry if it's been answered already. How about just going to a store (sporting goods, outdoors type places) and just looking around and trying some shoes on.

David,

I've used the Lowas on some pretty hard surfaces and they were very good. Did the "Hike Across Delaware" twice on a paved surface, and did a 33-miler on the C&O Canal towpath. However I might have preferred something different.

For walking only on paved surfaces, I've found that although my Lowas (and presumably also the Merrell, Vasque, Salomon, etc. equivalents) did work very well, they were probably overkill.

Guesswork follows:

Because of the unyielding surface, a lighter shoe with a more cushioned sole might be a better bet. I'd guess that decent sneakers might be better than running shoes - which as a former runner you'll appreciate are made as light and thin as possible.

A specialty sports shoe outfit might put you into a pair of trail runners, since those are (obviously) made to rough it in comfort. A sort of hybrid between hiking boots and running shoes.

These are the Lowas I'm using - they run $240 right now:
    https://www.rei.com/product/789686/l...ing-boots-mens
    Thanks Duncan - much appreciated!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.