Thread: YouTube: Hatfield and the North - Live at Château d'Hérouville in 1973

YouTube: Hatfield and the North - Live at Château d'Hérouville in 1973

Haven't seen this here, although it might have come up, and I just didn't catch it. Great to see Dave S. sounding phenomenal on his creaky, antiquated setup - proof, if any was needed, that it isn't the gear, it's the player; and that it isn't the chops (solid, but not spectacular), it's the ideas (top-drawer and absolutely Dave's own). Also fun to see Richard with a full head of hair, and Pip not yet suffering from the bottle. Not so great to see Dave's....

.......BUM!

Enjoy.

Thanks, that made my day

That was quite nice. Thanks!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

AMAZING footage. Thanks a lot!

somebody (maybe Steve F) posted that in another thread - Canterbury binge, most probably - last week or so

great stuff indeed
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    somebody (maybe Steve F) posted that in another thread - Canterbury binge, most probably - last week or so

great stuff indeed
    No surprise - I just did a cursory search and the video's title didn't come up as a thread title, so I posted it.

It has been posted before, but its so good that its nice to see it more than once
    The searchfunction cant find videos, which is why its a good idea to write in text what it is when you post a video. Like you did.

I wish it could show a search result as a specific page and not only as a thread. Would save some time!

Banned
    That voice! Before he would begin to sing, it's so-so, but when he starts to sing, everything falls into place and it's just magnificent then.

Banned
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    "their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana use", Harry J Anslinger in testifying to Congress.
    "Let's go, Jackson, I'm RED HOT!"

Very cool.
    <sig out of order>

Excellent.

Shivers down my spine. One of my 5 fave groups of all time.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    One of my 5 fave groups of all time.
    worf. whoops, I mean word.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Not so great to see Dave's.... BUM!
    Suddenly I begin to understand why Dave's against the release of H&TN video footage

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wonderful stuff
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I like the quality clearness of this film. It presents how they really looked as if they were jamming in your living room or something. I always loved this piece and recall the vocals of Robert Wyatt quietly serenading over top of the Canterbury style. I remember about a thousand years ago having their two albums and discovering another import album from Jem called "Live At The Rainbow". I was all excited because Hatfield and the North were on there and I convinced myself that the Northettes were too. Unfortunately for me....Hatfield and the North didn't regularly feature the Northettes at gigs and I hadn't found a magazine in '74 that would establish if they did or didn't, and I began to assume they didn't after hearing "Halfway Between Heaven and Hell" off the Live at the Rainbow album.

I was a huge fan of the Northettes style ....and their harmonies is precisely what got me in the end. This aspect to Hatfield and the North was overwhelming for me.There were bands like Mellow Candle with a female vocal harmony based on an Irish Folk Rock style, but the Northettes were more contemporary Jazz oriented with elements of melodic structures and for me that was a rare find. It was a letdown for me when I couldn't hear the three of them live and so I played the hell out of the two studio albums. I used to crank up the stereo after putting on side 2 of the first album and wait to hear: "And now, Hatfield and the North." Eventually that slow moving piece develops into a vamping of notes that is reminiscent of the band Gong. Towards the very end of the jam the Northettes are singing some very odd sounding harmonies which sound more based on tri-tone interval and then the piece abruptly ends with a door opening and closing.

I love it all! Dave Stewart was a fine player and writer. I often wondered how he came up with his ideas. He probably just stumbled on to these certain chord progressions by hearing them ,( not unlike many other unique writers/musicians), but he was more stunning to me with what he heard or felt. I thought he came up with many ideas that were apart from everyone else. In one of the pieces towards the closing of the first album, he plays these beautiful chord voicings that I had yet to hear anyone play in '73 ....and the voices of the Northettes enter singing "And in the end". Those particular melodic sections that continued in the music of National Health were priceless and timeless (IMO)....and this was a magical period

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    I like the quality clearness of this film. It presents how they really looked as if they were jamming in your living room or something. I always loved this piece and recall the vocals of Robert Wyatt quietly serenading over top of the Canterbury style. I remember about a thousand years ago having their two albums and discovering another import album from Jem called "Live At The Rainbow". I was all excited because Hatfield and the North were on there and I convinced myself that the Northettes were too. Unfortunately for me....Hatfield and the North didn't regularly feature the Northettes at gigs and I hadn't found a magazine in '74 that would establish if they did or didn't, and I began to assume they didn't after hearing "Halfway Between Heaven and Hell" off the Live at the Rainbow album.

I was a huge fan of the Northettes style ....and their harmonies is precisely what got me in the end. This aspect to Hatfield and the North was overwhelming for me.There were bands like Mellow Candle with a female vocal harmony based on an Irish Folk Rock style, but the Northettes were more contemporary Jazz oriented with elements of melodic structures and for me that was a rare find. It was a letdown for me when I couldn't hear the three of them live and so I played the hell out of the two studio albums. I used to crank up the stereo after putting on side 2 of the first album and wait to hear: "And now, Hatfield and the North." Eventually that slow moving piece develops into a vamping of notes that is reminiscent of the band Gong. Towards the very end of the jam the Northettes are singing some very odd sounding harmonies which sound more based on tri-tone interval and then the piece abruptly ends with a door opening and closing.

I love it all! Dave Stewart was a fine player and writer. I often wondered how he came up with his ideas. He probably just stumbled on to these certain chord progressions by hearing them ,( not unlike many other unique writers/musicians), but he was more stunning to me with what he heard or felt. I thought he came up with many ideas that were apart from everyone else. In one of the pieces towards the closing of the first album, he plays these beautiful chord voicings that I had yet to hear anyone play in '73 ....and the voices of the Northettes enter singing "And in the end". Those particular melodic sections that continued in the music of National Health were priceless and timeless (IMO)....and this was a magical period
    Enjoyed your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Enjoyed your thoughts.
    Thanks.