Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nick Beggs' 10 most influential bassists

Nick Beggs' 10 most influential bassists

Would be interesting to see what would change if we asked Nick who he thought were the 10 best/most virtuosic bass players.

10 Most Influential bassists, by Nick Beggs

As a founding member of synth-pop band Kajagoogoo, renowned British bassist Nick Beggs has enjoyed chart success with the 1983 single 'Too Shy'.

During his lengthy career, Nick has performed and recorded with the likes of Steve Hackett, Steve Howe and Steven Wilson. That’s not to say he exclusively works with those who have the name Steven. In recent years, he’s worked with Lifesigns, Fish On Friday and Lonely Robot, as well as playing live with Rick Wakeman.

Later this month, his new band The Mute Gods will release their debut album, Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me, on January 22 through Century Media.

We asked Nick to draw up a list of the most influential bass players for The Best Of Everything. Here’s who he selected…

10. ROGER WATERS
    Nick: "Arguably the most important progressive rock artist of all times. Not noted primarily for his bass playing but more for his song writing and sneering vocal approach, this guy conceptualised the biggest selling live music show ever. The Wall. These are just some of the reasons he’s in my top 10 most influential bass players."

9. GEEZER BUTLER
    "It’s hard to argue who could be found at the heavy metal bass player epicentre. Although Lemmy should also take a fair bit of credit, Geezer Butler is another one of the breed who steered his band through highly creative times. Surprisingly funky and guttural in his approach, the blueprint for a new generation of greats was born. "

8. MIKE RUTHERFORD
    "Often working between 12-string guitar and bass, his proto-prog roots are far reaching and influential. Tastefully chosen chords and bass lines bristling with nuance make this player one of the great ensemble players of a generation. And as with all these players his legacy yields tremendous substance and makes for highly rewarding study."

7. STANLEY CLARKE
    "The virtuoso jazz bass player who brought the instrument centre stage during the 70s. His choice of unusually light gauge strings and a very high/ mid sound made his playing more akin to that of the guitarist. His stamina for speed and power remind us of just how physical his approach was."

6. PERCY JONES
    "Another fretless player with a unique signature. Utilising incredibly fast thirty second and triplet note runs with harmonics in a highly original way, Percy bought panache to the world of the English fusion bass player. For reference you should listen to anything by Brand X. He notably influenced Mick Karn of Japan."

5. TONY LEVIN
    "An original thinker with a jazz schooling. His approach to all his instruments has seen the creation of new techniques such as double-handed tapping and the funk fingers. With his signature tone, it’s no wonder that he's been so highly in demand for decades and continues to be one of the greatest and still working. If you ever get chance to read his CV make sure you allow yourself enough time."

4. JOHN PAUL JONES
    "This player is a producer, arranger, and multi-instrumentalist whose musical journey makes for a fascinating study in its own right. During my time in his power trio, I learnt more than any time in any band I’d been in before. His love of bluegrass has since sent him on a quest to play with other like-minded musicians as a mandolin player. He is the epitome of a progressive musician. Keep an ear open for his next project. It’s a killer."

3. GEDDY LEE
    "Fronting up a band as a bass player and vocalist is a tough gig – one with which I've had some experience. Geddy shows how it should be done. In a power trio, every little helps and additional duties on bass pedals, double-neck guitar and synths made for a fulsome sound in his stadium filling band Rush."

2. JACO PASTORIUS
    "Also often cited as the most influential player ever, his approach to Jazz and the fretless instrument was ground breaking. It’s hard to find someone Jaco didn’t influence. The 80s music charts were populated with hits featuring many Jaco clones – and for good reason."

1. CHRIS SQUIRE
    "My biggest musical influence ever. His sound and tone inspired a legion of players. Chris’ own inspirations were Paul McCartney and John Entwistle, two players who probably influenced more than most. But for me, Chris will always be top of the list. Sorely missed."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Not sure why Waters is on a list of bassists, he's clearly hugely influential, just not as a bass player.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Cant argue with this list. Love the shout out to the underrated Mike Rutherford, in particular.

#1 is spot on!!

Nice to see Stanley Clarke and Percy Jones on there!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Leland Sklar has played bass on more records than I can count.
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/253978-Leland-Sklar
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 08-14-2016 at 10:45 AM.
    Still alive and well...

James Jamerson of the Motown house band had more bass playing talent in the fingernail on his right pinky than Roger Waters did, does and ever will.

Chris’ own inspirations were Paul McCartney and John Entwistle
    See above comment.
    ...or you could love

For a guy thats well-known as a slap player (on a Musicman Singray), that list is actually a little surprising

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Cant argue with this list. Love the shout out to the underrated Mike Rutherford, in particular.
    Mike is one of my personal favs----that classic line up had some amazing talent

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Mike is one of my personal favs----that classic line up had some amazing talent
    No question.. also enjoy his bass pedal work as well

Keep in mind that this is Beggs' list of most influential bassists, not the best bassists or the most influential for everyone. With that said, I don't know what Waters or Geezer Butler are doing here. Beggs mentions McCartney and Entwistle along with Squire and yet doesn't list either one of them in the top 10, so to me he should have replaced Waters & Butler with McCartney and Entwistle.

Otherwise, that top 8 is certainly among the best bassists ever.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    For a guy thats well-known as a slap player (on a Musicman Singray), that list is actually a little surprising
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Keep in mind that this is Beggs' list of most influential bassists, not the best bassists or the most influential for everyone. With that said, I don't know what Waters or Geezer Butler are doing here. Beggs mentions McCartney and Entwistle along with Squire and yet doesn't list either one of them in the top 10, so to me he should have replaced Waters & Butler with McCartney and Entwistle.

Otherwise, that top 8 is certainly among the best bassists ever.
    ah! my bad ------- ok, thats different: he's talking about in general subjective, not himself...........that means it would also have to be based on popularity as well as how much music is impacted by the roots of where they came from --- its a great list but I would replace Waters and Butler with The Ox and Mccartney....I would replace Percy Jones with Pino.........Billy Sheehan (who Im not a fan of but I know influenced a lot of players) and Steve Harris should be considerations........Tony Levin is great but he's a "niche": a lot of players don't even know who he is but should stay because a lot of folks first experience with a Chapman Stick came from him so he should be noted for that reason......The list should be expanded and include Larry Graham, Charles Mingus, and Ron Carter....Flea should also be on there: love him or hate him, He is one of the primary influences of many late Gen Xers and Millenials - he's that generation's Squire and Lee

your mileage may vary, of course
    Last edited by klothos; 08-14-2016 at 11:28 AM.

great list from Mr. Beggs, who himself would make my top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by itserik View Post
    great list from Mr. Beggs, who himself would make my top 10.
    mine too

No John Entwistle? I agree with no. 1 also. And perhaps Mignus as Reid stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    And perhaps Mignus as Reid stated.
    Although that opens the whole cornucopia of jazz greats. And, while most of them didn't play on a lot of hit records, most of them also played far more difficult music to a far higher standard than almost anyone in rock. For example, Jimmy Blanton - who played briefly in the Ellington Band, changed the whole approach to the bass in popular music from a distant thud in the right key to an equal melodic and rhythmic partner, did all of that in three years, and died (of illness) very young.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    For example, Jimmy Blanton - who played briefly in the Ellington Band, changed the whole approach to the bass in popular music from a distant thud in the right key to an equal melodic and rhythmic partner, did all of that in three years, and died (of illness) very young.
    Jaco used to claim Blanton as his biggest influence.......but aside from our small group and others of similar groups, the general bass population has no idea who he is

Influential on Nick Begg it must be

Perhaps Ray Shulman wasnt that 'influential', but he is definetely in my top 10 of rock bassist. Not to mention Hellmut Hattler, Billy Sheehan, a list of bassplayers from Magma...
    If fusionplayers like Stanley Clarke & Jaco fits, there are many more from Alphonso Johnson over Jeff Berlin, to Gary Willis.
    Roger Waters... how about Hugh Hopper?

Ember
    In terms of influence on popular music, I'd argue that Paul McCartney elevated the bass to a role of prominence first, and influenced most of the other players on that list. I'd nominate "Rain/Paperback Writer" as the single most influential record on bass players of all time.

Great list. One of the few I've actually liked in fact

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Influential on Nick Begg it must be
    And on many others. That's pretty much my list though I'd swap Jack Bruce for Mike Rutherford.

It's interesting how the list more or less breaks down along the line between rock players (Squire, Lee, Butler, etc.) and jazz players (Jaco, Clark, Jones, etc.) One of the reasons I think Tony Levin is the greatest bassist living is that he effortlessly straddles both worlds.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Mingus
    I was going to say, Mingus for old school jazz, Stanley Clarke for the newer bloods.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

It's okay, we all know Nick's real #10 is David Gilmour.