Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: You have a front row seat--why don't you use it?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

You have a front row seat--why don't you use it?

I made an impulsive decision to go see Yes last Friday night. I wasn't planning on going since I'm seeing ARW at the same venue (Oakdale) in October. However, I read some good reviews of the tour and when I found I could grab a second row center seat for $55 (plus the usual $15 surcharge), I decided to go to the show; I do love me my Drama and Tales.

First set, things were cool. Occasionally a front-row seat holder would get up to lean on the stage, then sit back down. Second set, however, it seems the entire row decided that they would not only like to enjoy Tales from a standing position, but invite friends from the venue to occupy the space their standing left behind them...in front of rest of the audience.

I was not cool with this. I paid for a seat, and frankly, I like to sit at shows. I will stand for an ovation, for an encore or two. I complained. Eventually security cleared the overpacked row and had folks sit down. The guy in front of me decided he'd rather stand. I tapped him on the back and asked he sit down. He mumbled something about "his seat" but sat himself down in a huff.

Really irked me. If you have a front row seat, frelling sit your ass down. There are thousands behind you who may not want to stand.

Yesholes.

Don't go see Rush.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Another second row seat holder posted this on Yesfans:

"This was my first time at Oakdale CT. I had to spend 4 hours in traffic due to 4 traffic jams. I was very impressed with the place and the turnout of fans. I had second row and I was looking forward to it. So as soon as I sat down the band took the stage just one little problem. The fans in front of me stood up. So I was very upset that I had no show to see for the first half. So I decided to go in front of the stage for the second half. Then security told us to go sit down. Then the fans stood up again. It was a disappointing night for me I think all around because I couldn't see the band and I couldn't enjoy my show. At least I had a great time seeing my yes family there. They were having a good time."

And Shadow? No risk of my seeing Rush. Ever. If you're suggesting that their fans are so ardent they stand throughout the show, I admire their exuberance but abhor their lack of consideration for those who prefer to rock in the seated position.

Did you tell those people in the front row to also get off your lawn?

Why do people expect a concert experience to be like they are sitting in their TV room watching a DVD?

It's a concert. Get up off your lazy ass and have some fun, like those people in the front row did?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    Why do people expect a concert experience to be like they are sitting in their TV room watching a DVD?
    Because they paid $55 for a seat, not $25 for general admission?

It's a concert. Get up off your lazy ass and have some fun, like those people in the front row did?
    Do you think that applies to all concerts, no matter the type of music (classical, opera, folk, world music), and to Broadway shows? If not, why not? And how would you decide at which events with assigned seating it's appropriate to stand and block the view of the people behind you? Is it ok at a Renaissance concert, and if so, is it ok at a Loreena McKennitt concert? Also, if the OP is 90 years old, do your comments still apply?

I hope you have good, definitive answers to all these kinds of questions.

...and don't forget to shout "Rock'n'Roll" in the quiet passages
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Because they paid $55 for a seat, not $25 for general admission?

Do you think that applies to all concerts, no matter the type of music (classical, opera, folk, world music), and to Broadway shows? If not, why not? And how would you decide at which events with assigned seating it's appropriate to stand and block the view of the people behind you? Is it ok at a Renaissance concert, and if so, is it ok at a Loreena McKennitt concert? Also, if the OP is 72 (my alteration) years old, do your comments still apply?

I hope you have good, definitive answers to all these kinds of questions.
    Spot on! (I don't say that often to you, JL).

I hope you don't see everything in the world with blinders on, Ad I.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

All relative... though I will say that at every "Yes" oriented show I've been to way back to ABWH the audience sat 90% of the show, getting up for the obligatory Roundabout et al encore.

Rick-- sorry about your seat situation, when I saw that the stage was so high opted to move to loge seating to avoid looking at kneecaps from the front.
    BUT wouldn't you know it in my 2nd row loge the 1st rower had to scream or stand every other minute and almost fall off balcony for 1st half of show.
    Obviously I moved seat for 2nd half. There are the concert idiots at any show who would stand and hassle a row to take bathroom break in last 5 minutes
    of CTTE or the like not to mention blather BS during quiet moments and of course put there phone in your face endlessly.
    After hundreds of concerts my best advice-- 1st row balcony--if you're standing in front of me you're on the way down...

As concert audiences get older this becomes more and more of a dilemma. Half the people want to stand and half the people want to sit. At just about every show I go to these days I see this happening and conflicts break out. Personally, I still like to stand at rock concerts, but will go with the flow of what the people around me are doing. If people are siting, I will sit, if they are standing I will stand. A band like Yes, I would expect to be mostly seated, although it depends on the venue, as I have seen them in recent years where the audience did both.

I've preferred seats my entire life. And as I age (perhaps you don't), and now have some nerve damage in my right leg, and a occasional flare-up of both gout and plantar fasciitis, standing for long periods of time is a downright chore. I've done the standing thing (last time was for Aanglagard) and will again when i have no choice (TYS and Haken over labor day weekend). But I fear for how my leg will react. Sorry if my definition of fun differs from yours.
    Last edited by kenschwartz; 08-08-2016 at 04:26 PM.

My wife prefers to have the option of sitting, since she can't stand an entire concert. So, I understand that. That being said, rock concerts are active affairs where I expect I'll be standing much of the time.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I prefer sitting. If people stand, I stand. This usually happens during more well known songs.

HOW DARE THESE HOOLIGANS STAND DURING A CONCERT. THE NERVE!

Relly, you expect people in the front row to sit like they are at the opera? At a Yes concert? Should we all wear tuxedos to these events? If you are physically unable to attend a frickin rock concert, then stay home, buy the DVD (and complain about the sound quality, song selection or god know what else) and quit complaining or better yet, bring your wheelchair and sit in the handicapped spaces provided by most venues (that is not sarcastic, bring a wheelchair and sit down) if your lumbago, back ache or whatever prevents you from standing periodically.

You people sound like you are all ready for the nursing home. I'm sorry if any one of you have physical infirmities that make attending a concert a physical challenge, but, don't ruin the experience for there who go to have a good time.

Note - if the person in front of you is screaming or singing then, by all means, kill them.

i had a first row ticket for a Rush Clockwork Angels show, me and everybody in about the first 10-15 rows stood up the entire goddamn show. it was great.

If I was behind you, I'd hit you with my cane!

Rush fans in wheelchairs been known to stand at concerts. That is the incredible power of Rush sound waves at 120 decibels.

Relly, you expect people in the front row to sit like they are at the opera? At a Yes concert?
    It's not like there's a mosh pit at Yes concerts or something. I'm asking what's the cutoff point - how do you know it's ok for people to stand and block your view at a Yes concert, but not a Renaissance concert? Because there are going to be times where Renaissance's music is more energetic than Yes's music. Just an example I picked out of thin air of course. But YOU'VE decided there's some code that must be followed at a rock concert, so that means people are going to have to decide if it's the kind of rock concert where it's ok to obscure the view of the people behind you, because it's "rock," and that if you don't want to stand and have your view obscured you must sit in the "handicapped" area. I'm just not sure you're completely right, although you're obviously pretty sure.

Also, I just find it kind of disgusting when someone says fuck you, it's rock & roll, like they're 17 years old and it's a rolling stones concert in the late 60s. It was a fucking Yes concert in 2016. The band probably wanted to sit down. If you want to stand at a rock concert go to your local dive bar where "Jake & The Rhythm Kings" or "Power Ranger" are playing.

Depends on the show. At Sabbath, Tool and Rush, people stand for pretty much the entire show. That's the way it is. I'm a little bit more surprised, that it's like that at Yes (I haven't seen them in a long time), but I certainly understand your frustration. I'm lucky enough to be able to stand comfortably at shows, at 54, but feel sympathy for those that have physical issues, and it's a chore.

neil

I like to spin in a circle and piss at concerts. Come on, it's rock n roll!

Note - if the person in front of you is screaming or singing then, by all means, kill them.
    Unless, presumably, they're onstage as part of the band?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Unless, presumably, they're onstage as part of the band?
    By the comments I've read here about Jon Davison, I think people would complain about that as well.

Do you think Yes wants their audience to sit there comatose like Fripp would prefer at a King Crimson concert? I doubt it.

There is a huge difference between people standing up at a concert and some drunk fool vomiting on your girlfriend.

But really, you should be more careful where you vomit.

And actually, for many people attending these concerts, they are 17 years old, attending their first concert. In fact, I took my friends son who is a Prog rocker to see Yes last time they (and CS) were here. And we stood part of the time. I hope I didn't blocked your view.

Next you'll be telling us that you sing along when not specifically solicited by the band.