Page 40 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1986

Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I know and I don't understand it. They've got a lot real talent there.
    That's what I was thinking. All those 4 and 5 star recruits and Bosa goes down and they suck? Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Attaway Irish! After wins against highly ranked Big Ten power Michigan, shellacking of 7th ranked Pac 12 power Stanford, and last night obliteration of ranked ACC power Virginia Tech on the road in one of the toughest places to play in the country, things looking good so far for ND for the playoff race. Still have tough games at Northwestern, Syracuse in New York, Florida St and at USC among others. Keep the foot on the pedal!
    Saw Syracuse play here in Kalamazoo and I think they are for real. Quarterback especially is very talented if he is healthy. ND is certainly off to a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    That's what I was thinking. All those 4 and 5 star recruits and Bosa goes down and they suck? Wtf?
    Well, when you put it like that, it does makes sense, given how disruptive Bosa could be. Still, Chase Young has stepped up.

Did you think that penalty call against Chase Young's tackle of Peyton Ramsey was legitimate? And what about Isaiah Pryor's ejection last week? I thought that was a bullshit call and even Brady Quinn said so during the game this week. It's like the refs are looking solely at the video at impact without taking physics into consideration. Joey Bosa's ejection for targeting in that bowl game a few years ago was bullshit, too.

Regardless, OSU led the B1G last year and are leading it this year in penalties. They need to get their shit together.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Saw Syracuse play here in Kalamazoo and I think they are for real. Quarterback especially is very talented if he is healthy. ND is certainly off to a great start.
    Yep, not taking anything for granted. Easy for 18-22 year olds to get caught up in the hype and playoff talk. The schedule is back loaded with road games, so that's a concern.

I am always amused at the ESPN media constantly proclaiming that ND has to run the table to get in, yet they bend over backwards to find ways to create paths for 1 loss SEC or Ohio St/Oklahoma etc teams to still make it.

^ Which is a complete reversal from what it used to be in the 80s/90s, when ND was the media darling and always touted for the top game if they were a candidate.

^ Which is a complete reversal from what it used to be in the 80s/90s, when ND was the media darling and always touted for the top game if they were a candidate.
    You mean like in 1993, when #2 ND beat #1 Florida St head to head in what had been called the "Game of the Century" , and they both ended up with 1 loss, and the media polls ignored the head to head result which had just occurred in mid November and placed FSU into the "championship" game vs Nebraska because they wanted media darling "good ole Bobby" to finally win a national championship (and then further ignored the clear head to head result in the final polls by voting FSU # 1 and ND # 2)?

What year did ND play for a national title in those years when they didn't deserve to? I can't remember one. In fact, in 1989 a 12-1 ND team that played the toughest schedule in the country and obliterated undefeated #1 Colorado in the Orange Bowl was voted # 2 to Miami in the media polls, and a 1 loss 1992 ND team also did not play in a "national title game".
    Last edited by DocProgger; 10-09-2018 at 09:21 AM.

You mean like in 1993, when #2 ND beat #1 Florida St head to head in what had been called the "Game of the Century" , and they both ended up with 1 loss, and the media polls ignored the head to head result which had just occurred in mid November and placed FSU into the "championship" game vs Nebraska because they wanted media darling "good ole Bobby" to finally win a national championship (and then further ignored the clear head to head result in the final polls by voting FSU # 1 and ND # 2)?

What year did ND play for a national title in those years when they didn't deserve to? I can't remember one. In fact, in 1989 a 12-1 ND team that played the toughest schedule in the country and obliterated undefeated #1 Colorado in the Orange Bowl was voted # 2 to Miami in the media polls, and a 1 loss 1992 ND team also did not play in a "national title game".
    Sorry dude, this one's not even worth the time. If you're going to try and convince me that Notre Dame was not the team the media continually splooged over, you've got a hell of a tough sell. They were the Dallas Cowboys of college football. I, and most people, I would guess, got sick of constantly hearing about Gipper/Rockne/Four Horseman/Rudy/Golden Dome/Touchdown Jesus etc. The media was complicit in building a mythology for Endee that was not built for any other school.

However, the media is not a monolith, and those that were continually flogging the Irish may not have always been successful at convincing their compatriots. Doesn't change the overall narrative.

Sorry dude, this one's not even worth the time. If you're going to try and convince me that Notre Dame was not the team the media continually splooged over, you've got a hell of a tough sell. They were the Dallas Cowboys of college football. I, and most people, I would guess, got sick of constantly hearing about Gipper/Rockne/Four Horseman/Rudy/Golden Dome/Touchdown Jesus etc. The media was complicit in building a mythology for Endee that was not built for any other school.

However, the media is not a monolith, and those that were continually flogging the Irish may not have always been successful at convincing their compatriots. Doesn't change the overall narrative.
    You said specifically that ND was placed into national title games in the 80s and 90s by media hype when they were not deserving. You didnt give me any year when that happened, and I gave you 3 specific examples where not only the opposite occurred, but even one year where they were denied the right to play in the NC game when they earned the right on the field of play, and were denied the AP national championship by the ignoring of a clear head to head result (1993). Those are the facts.

Your attempt at diversion of those facts by broadening your argument to ND's entire history of football prowess in the 1920s/40s/60s/70s is all completely mythologized is duly noted .

You said specifically that ND was placed into national title games in the 80s and 90s by media hype when they were not deserving.
    No I didn't. I specifically used the phrase " ND was the media darling and always touted for the top game if they were a candidate." I did that purposely to avoid the kind of meaning that you are attributing, and it was accurate. "Touted" means advocated, promoted, or publicized, and "if they were a candidate" implies that they were a legitimate contender. Some measure of reading comprehension is in order. I lived through this whole time, I know what happened.

No I didn't. I specifically used the phrase " ND was the media darling and always touted for the top game if they were a candidate." I did that purposely to avoid the kind of meaning that you are attributing, and it was accurate. "Touted" means advocated, promoted, or publicized, and "if they were a candidate" implies that they were a legitimate contender. Some measure of reading comprehension is in order. I lived through this whole time, I know what happened.
    I can comprehend just fine which is why I responded with specific facts in response to your completely overbroad generalization.

Lets do it this way. Tell me what specific years in the 1980s/90s where they were "touted for the TOP game" (ie national title game) which you thought it was egregiously unfair or undeserved and resulted in some injustice in CFB history? One of Faust's 5-6 years? One of Lou's 3 loss years? I gave you 3 years where the opposite happened. At least back up your statement with one example in that time period since you claimed they were "always touted for the top game". And if they were "touted" in those 3 1 loss years I cited, weren't they deserving of that? I'm befuddled by the lack of specifics.

I was in school in 1981 when ND was 5-6 in Faust's 1st year, and I can assure you that NO ONE in the media was "touting" ND to play in the NC game. They didn't even play in a bowl game.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 10-09-2018 at 10:47 AM.

I can comprehend just fine which is why I responded with specific facts in response to your completely overbroad generalization.

Lets do it this way. Tell me what specific years in the 1980s/90s where they were "touted for the TOP game" (ie national title game) which you thought it was egregiously unfair or undeserved and resulted in some injustice in CFB history? One of Faust's 5-6 years? One of Lou's 3 loss years? I gave you 3 years where the opposite happened. At least back up your statement with one example in that time period since you claimed they were "always touted for the top game". And if they were "touted" in those 3 1 loss years I cited, weren't they deserving of that? I'm befuddled by the lack of specifics.

I was in school in 1981 when ND was 5-6 in Faust's 1st year, and I can assure you that NO ONE in the media was "touting" ND to play in the NC game. They didn't even play in a bowl game.
    You're befuddled by the lack of specifics because you are assuming that I am making a point that I am not making. You are focusing on worthiness, a factor that I did not comment on at all, and I am focusing on national media promotion that bordered on adulation. You are making a straw man argument, and I'm not taking the bait. And if you're arguing that Notre Dame got short shrift in the media, you're arguing that water isn't wet. There's no way that I'm going to take the time to go back and research stats in order to buttress an argument that I'm not making in the first place.

As for your Faust years argument, I said "if they were a candidate" which would clearly preclude inclusion of those years. Reading comprehension again. When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. I get it that you graduated from ND and that's your team. Fine, nothing wrong with that, but I think we may have identified a Blind Spot.

Anyway, I had my say on this and won't waste any more time with it.

I've heard every anti-ND argument in the world, and I get the jealousy and vitriol. That's why I counter every overbroad argument about media preference and unfairness with specific facts. I know that doesn't fit with the "ND ALWAYS gets preferential treatment" narrative that the ND haters want to perpetuate, which is exactly why I rely on facts and specifics.

You specifically said "ND was *always* touted for the [NC] game" in the 80s/90s with the clear implication that it was undeserved. You and I both know that is an overbroad false statement. They were not touted by the media at all in years where they are not deserving. In the 3 specific 1 loss years I cited, certainly they were deserving of being "touted" by at least some media, so if that's the issue, what is the beef if they were a "legitimate deserving candidate"?
    And if the media was always "splooging" over and in NDs hip pocket in the 80s and 90s, how do you explain 1993, where just the opposite occurred of what you said?

The fact that you didn't name one year where this overwhelming media sploogefest resulted in some egregious unfair advantage for ND tells me all I need to know. Specifically, the exact opposite to your point occurred in 93 when the media had a sploogefest for Bobby Bowden which runs counter to every point you made. If you're going to make broad sweeping overgeneralizations, I will always counter with specifics.

Now we get to watch Kirk Burpstreet lobby all year to keep ND out and get Ohio St in no matter what NDs resume is...
    Last edited by DocProgger; 10-09-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Woof! Vandy is blowing the doors off the Gaytors.

Nervous about Pitt vs ND. Guarding against complacency and playing down to the competition is the biggest concern. Pitt has knocked off highly ranked Clemson and Miami the last 2 years. Pitt and ND is a rivalry game dating back over a century, and they are always a hard hitting blue collar team.

Florida came roaring back. It's over. Gators win.

Watching the Rodent War, hoping Bucky can pull off the win.

Just starting to watch the WI-MI game I recorded (I like "Rodent War". Moe).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Hornibrook has nothing tonight. I think Bucky is in trouble.

#s 2,6,7&8 go down. The unpredictable delight of college football.

This is the coaches poll:

1 Alabama (7-0)
    2 Ohio State (7-0)
    3 Clemson (6-0)
    4 Notre Dame (7-0)
    5 LSU (6-1)
    6 Georgia (6-1)
    7 Michigan (6-1)
    8 Texas (6-1)
    9 UCF (6-1)
    10 Oklahoma (5-1)

Personally, I don't think OSU deserves that #2 ranking. Not sure who does, tho.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

UCF still unbeaten though, just barely. Memphis was probably the toughest opponent on their schedule.

I don't think the cancellation equals a loss, so they are unbeaten, for whatever that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    This is the coaches poll:

1 Alabama (7-0)
    2 Ohio State (7-0)
    3 Clemson (6-0)
    4 Notre Dame (7-0)
    5 LSU (6-1)
    6 Georgia (6-1)
    7 Michigan (6-1)
    8 Texas (6-1)
    9 UCF (6-1)
    10 Oklahoma (5-1)

Personally, I don't think OSU deserves that #2 ranking. Not sure who does, tho.

The "poll of polls" composite (which typically mirrors the BCS poll) has:

1. Alabama
    2. Clemson
    3. Ohio State
    4. Notre Dame
    5. LSU
    6. Michigan
    7. Georgia
    8. Oklahoma
    9. Florida
    10. Texas

Purdue obliterated Ohio St 49-20. Let me repeat--Purdue. 49-20. A team that lost to Eastern Michigan and Missouri. How does that happen to a #2 ranked team?

I can't wait to see how BurpStreet is going to try to justify Ohio St getting in the playoff again with that putrid embarrassment.

Purdue obliterated Ohio St 49-20. Let me repeat--Purdue. 49-20. A team that lost to Eastern Michigan and Missouri. How does that happen to a #2 ranked team?

I can't wait to see how BurpStreet is going to try to justify Ohio St getting in the playoff again with that putrid embarrassment.
    Ohio State only gets in if they win out in impressive fashion, and the one loss teams ahead of them lose again. That performance was truly embarrassing!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence