Page 39 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    If there's another team out there who would start them why the hell should they have to sit on the bench. If they are good enough to play somewhere then they should have the chance to play, better to play at a lower level than sit on the bench at a top school. And don't talk loyalty, the head coaches will jump ship in a heartbeat if they get a better offer from another school, or will cut a players scholarship if they can bring someone else in to take their place. These players are signed based on playing for a coach, the coach is the one sitting in the kids parents home persuading them to come sign for them. Then the bugger off at the drop of a hat. Loyalty? Pah!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    If there's another team out there who would start them why the hell should they have to sit on the bench. If they are good enough to play somewhere then they should have the chance to play, better to play at a lower level than sit on the bench at a top school. And don't talk loyalty, the head coaches will jump ship in a heartbeat if they get a better offer from another school, or will cut a players scholarship if they can bring someone else in to take their place. These players are signed based on playing for a coach, the coach is the one sitting in the kids parents home persuading them to come sign for them. Then the bugger off at the drop of a hat. Loyalty? Pah!
    Absolutely. This is a great rule.

The players have been treated like slaves for decades. It's high time that they got some bargaining power to protect them a little bit.

Yeah, if the coaches can "transfer" without having to sit out a year, the players should be able to do so as well. How about the coach making a convincing argument for the player to stay, instead of relying on an unfair rule to keep them locked up?

Slaves? Lmfao. Slaves getting a free ride worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to play a game.
    I'm not giving coaches a free pass either re making unreasonable promises and not keeping their word. But coaching is a job and moving up the ladder in the business world occurs every day and no one blinks an eye. Athletes have plenty of opportunity to transfer/redshirt without allowing it in the middle of a season.

Also, if a player wants to start he is free to choose a smaller school where that is more realistic or where the opportunities are better when he is being recruited. Once you start the season and make a commitment for that season to your team, is it really too much to ask that you see that commitment through for at least that year? This 4 game rule is going to have a lot of unintended consequences that weren't properly thought out.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 10-01-2018 at 09:42 AM.

How old is this rule? I see both sides of the issue and currently don't know what to think.

Anyone seen GA play this season yet? That Justin Fields is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Joe Montana... went on to lead ND to the national championship in 1977 and then become the greatest QB ever (after also sitting as a backup learning the NFL ropes for awhile).
    I'm conducting an informal pole as to who's the best NFL QB ever.

Current tally is 3 votes for Montana and one each for Elway and Manning (Peyton, of course). Altho, the vote for Manning was for a dream team.

I said Montana, too, but can see the reason for choosing Elway & Manning. What could Manning have accomplished if he had had a Jerry Rice or a Steve Largent on his team or a WR corp like Beebe, Lofton, and Reed? (I'm really aging myself, aren't I? lol) I pretty much quit watching the NFL sometime around 2000, so I'm a little ignorant about newer guys, but what about Brady? He's won 5 SBs after all.

I remember back in the early '80s I happened to see maybe the most amazing thing I've ever seen a QB do. My dad was watching a college game and I just happened to stop and watch it for a few seconds. After the pocket collapsed, the QB ran to his left and over halfway to the left sideline, threw back to the right, while running, and hit a WR about 7 or 8 yards downfield who was over near the right sideline. I said to my dad, "that's impossible." He laughed and said, "yeah, that quarterback is something else." The team was Stanford and that QB was Elway. I'm not sure I've ever seen a QB with more raw talent. And he did lead Denver to 5 SB appearances.

Any other opinions?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

^ Depends on your criteria. Based on career accomplishments, etc, I'd say 1) Tom Brady 2) Joe Montana. However, if I'm starting a team, and I can pick one guy to be my QB, it's Aaron Rodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    How old is this rule? I see both sides of the issue and currently don't know what to think.
    ?
    The rule went into effect this year. Basically it is this (quoted from an article):

"A new policy adopted this week by the NCAA's Division I Council and announced Wednesday allows players to participate in up to four games in a season without losing a year of eligibility. The rule goes into effect this season and will likely impact true freshmen the most.

Previously, anyone who played in a single game burned their redshirt and needed a medical exemption to maintain a redshirt for that season. Players still have five years to compete in four varsity seasons, but the new rule will allow programs to preserve redshirts for those who played four or fewer games."

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Anyone seen GA play this season yet? That Justin Fields is impressive.

I'm conducting an informal pole as to who's the best NFL QB ever.

Current tally is 3 votes for Montana and one each for Elway and Manning (Peyton, of course). Altho, the vote for Manning was for a dream team.

I said Montana, too, but can see the reason for choosing Elway & Manning. What could Manning have accomplished if he had had a Jerry Rice or a Steve Largent on his team or a WR corp like Beebe, Lofton, and Reed? (I'm really aging myself, aren't I? lol) I pretty much quit watching the NFL sometime around 2000, so I'm a little ignorant about newer guys, but what about Brady? He's won 5 SBs after all.

I remember back in the early '80s I happened to see maybe the most amazing thing I've ever seen a QB do. My dad was watching a college game and I just happened to stop and watch it for a few seconds. After the pocket collapsed, the QB ran to his left and over halfway to the left sideline, threw back to the right, while running, and hit a WR about 7 or 8 yards downfield who was over near the right sideline. I said to my dad, "that's impossible." He laughed and said, "yeah, that quarterback is something else." The team was Stanford and that QB was Elway. I'm not sure I've ever seen a QB with more raw talent. And he did lead Denver to 5 SB appearances.

Any other opinions?
    Brady has to be in the discussion, personally I'd put Montana ahead of Brady but Brady ahead of Elway & Manning.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Probably a better debate for the NFL thread, and I think at some point there I said:
    1. Montana (4-0 in SBs, 11TDs, 0 INT, career SB passer rating 127.8, 1st); won 2 SB before Rice even in NFL; won with a RB named Earl Cooper; won with Walsh and without Walsh. Beat both Elway and Marino in SB.

1A. Brady (5-3 in SB, could easily be 3-5); Career SB passer rating 98, 8th); Belichek. Played in a more passer friendly era where QBs much more protected, and although you have to give props to Brady for his durability, Montana was brutalized in some of those games under different rules (see Giants, Bears) which shortened his overall career.

After that, it's all just a fight for 3rd place and down between Elway, Unitas, Manning, Favre, Marino etc. Elway btw was horrid in the 3 SBs he lost, didn't win it until he had the stud RB w TDavis.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 10-01-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Probably a better debate for the NFL thread, and I think at some point there I said:
    1. Montana (4-0 in SBs, 11TDs, 0 INT, career SB passer rating 127.8, 1st); won 2 SB before Rice even in NFL; won with a RB named Earl Cooper; won with Walsh and without Walsh. Beat both Elway and Marino in SB.

1A. Brady (5-3 in SB, could easily be 3-5); Career SB passer rating 98, 8th); Belichek. Played in a more passer friendly era where QBs much more protected, and although you have to give props to Brady for his durability, Montana was brutalized in some of those games under different rules (see Giants, Bears) which shortened his overall career.

After that, it's all just a fight for 3rd place and down between Elway, Unitas, Manning, Favre, Marino etc. Elway btw was horrid in the 3 SBs he lost, didn't win it until he had the stud RB w TDavis.
    Montana and Manning are head and shoulders better than Brady, as far as their careers.

Could just as easily be 7-1 given the two Eli SB games and the flukey way they were lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Montana and Manning are head and shoulders better than Brady, as far as their careers.
    The Indy Star ran an comparison between the two and THEY gave the edge to Brady based on head to head, playoffs and Superbowls, they gave Peyton a razor thin edge on overall stats. Brady stacks up very well against Peyton
    Ian

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Yeah, because how dare we let anyone ruffle the feathers of these recent generations of self entitled molly coddled athletes (see every diva WR of the last few decades as well as the Johnny M's of the world) who have been told all their life they are the best and absolutely deserve to start, and not let them learn that in life there is competition and adversity to overcome, and you may not be better than someone else and maybe you could work harder to be better, and that in a team game--as in life-- there are important lessons to be learned about loyalty and teamwork and commitment (these guys *are* getting a free college education after all, which is extremely valuable).

Joe Montana was at one time 7th on the depth chart at ND. I guess he could have pouted and called out his coach (Dan Devine) and even transferred out of entitled petulance. But instead he stayed, continued to work hard, finally got some chances and made the most of his opportunities when the chances came. He went on to lead ND to the national championship in 1977 and then become the greatest QB ever (after also sitting as a backup learning the NFL ropes for awhile).
    You're right, it could be a valuable life lesson. Could be fuel for the fire. But if I were in their shoes, looking towards the NFL, and exposure in college is everything, I'd go where I could start.

I've switched companies for better pay when my current employer wouldn't give me a raise. I've also been downsized out of companies. It's dog eat dog out there for everyone.

Texas is having an epic collapse for the ages.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Maryland wins a Lifetime Achievement Award for the most hideous helmet design of all time

The Hurricanes look like the Dolphins today. They can't get anything going.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Maryland wins a Lifetime Achievement Award for the most hideous helmet design of all time
    I love that helmet, but they should lose the lettering along the bottom rear.

....The Seminoles have the "Turnover Backpack." It's gotten outta hand with all this sideline foolishness.

Aaaaaaand we are getting our doors blown off.

And somehow we are back innit.

Jeezuz we won......

Attaway Irish! After wins against highly ranked Big Ten power Michigan, shellacking of 7th ranked Pac 12 power Stanford, and last night obliteration of ranked ACC power Virginia Tech on the road in one of the toughest places to play in the country, things looking good so far for ND for the playoff race. Still have tough games at Northwestern, Syracuse in New York, Florida St and at USC among others. Keep the foot on the pedal!

That Ohio State QB is very impressive. Fantastic pocket presence for someone so young. If their offensive line improves in their pass blocking, this kid is gonna
    have some monster numbers!

Congrats to former Ohio State coach Luke Fickell. He took the head coach job at University of Cincinnati last year. He inherited a program that was a train wreck.
    Last year, they struggled mightily, yet again, as he was dealing with inherited players, and a team learning a new system and coaches. This year, he has UC
    playing above everyones expectations in route to a 6 - 0 record. They have a bye next week, then the last 6 games will be against some tougher competition.
    Should be fun!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Oh that's right. Fickell went to UC and he's 6-0? Good for him. But thank God he's not OSU's defensive coordinator anymore, tho.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

^ The defense has a lot of issues, however. I'm getting worried about the Michigan game, and if they get by them and were to meet Alabama in the playoff, they would get destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ The defense has a lot of issues, however.
    I know and I don't understand it. They've got a lot real talent there.