Page 24 of 80 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    LOL. Alabama's ranking today means zero. They could still be the No. 1 overall seed.
    Tell me in what kind of fantasyland troll nirvana how that happens if the top 4 teams all win their conference championship games as I clearly stated.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Tell me in what kind of fantasyland troll nirvana how that happens if the top 4 teams all win their conference championship games as I clearly stated.
    It wouldn't happen if all of the favorites won their championship games. Never said it would. Please try to pay attention - I know this is all moving pretty quick for you.

I can't decide which is more hilarious, the troll war under the bridge going on in this thread, or the war of complete idiocy (ON BOTH SIDES!!) going on in Washington.

Not a political post, but rather just one person's assessment of what is essentially a coin flip.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    1. Clemson has zero chance to make it in if they lose.
    2. I don't think anybody has ever said that Ohio st. was in if they won. They will be in if they win and Oklahoma loses, however, regardless of whatever else happens. That much we do know.
    3. Of course Oklahoma is out out if they lose. Nobody with a clue ever thought otherwise.
    1. According to who? You? Lmao. Yet another absolutist black and white pronouncenent. That scenario was specifically discussed on the CFP show and several agreed that because of Clemson's extremely strong résumé that it was still a possibility depending on how the other games went (ie Ohio St winning etc).

2./3. Who told you that? Urban Meyer?Why would any sane person think that a 2 loss Ohio St who got obliterated by Iowa and lost at home decisively to Oklahoma would get picked over a 2 loss Oklahoma who lost a close meaningless Big 12 "championship" to a team they already waxed.

If you actually watched a little football this year you would know that Oklahoma is clearly better than Ohio St. Head to head is the clear tiebreaker even if it was close. The only yahoo who thinks otherwise is Kirk Burpstreet.

And once again, Bama has no chance of being in the top 4 much less ranked # 1 BECAUSE they are ranked 5th IF the top 4 teams win, as I specifically stated yet you ignored. That is why their ranking is relevant for everyone but nesting trolls.

I love how someone who got 66% of his CFP rankings predictions wrong acts like he is some king of CF guru and expert on how the committee thinks because he quotes a computer odds making site. Lmao.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 11-29-2017 at 12:28 AM.

1. According to who? You? Lmao. Yet another absolutist black and white pronouncenent. That scenario was specifically discussed on the CFP show and several agreed that because of Clemson's extremely strong résumé that it was still a possibility depending on how the other games went (ie Ohio St winning etc).

2./3. Who told you that? Urban Meyer?Why would any sane person think that a 2 loss Ohio St who got obliterated by Iowa and lost at home decisively to Oklahoma would get picked over a 2 loss Oklahoma who lost a close meaningless Big 12 "championship" to a team they already waxed.

If you actually watched a little football this year you would know that Oklahoma is clearly better than Ohio St. Head to head is the clear tiebreaker even if it was close. The only yahoo who thinks otherwise is Kirk Burpstreet.

And once again, Bama has no chance of being in the top 4 much less ranked # 1 BECAUSE they are ranked 5th IF the top 4 teams win, as I specifically stated yet you ignored. That is why their ranking is relevant for everyone but nesting trolls.

I love how someone who got 66% of his CFP rankings predictions wrong acts like he is some king of CF guru and expert on how the committee thinks because he quotes a computer odds making site. Lmao.
    I guess we'll just see. Keep posting childish nonsense that is based on premises already proven false in past years. I find it very amusing.

And the hits just keep on coming........
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    It's like one time when I turned on wrestling and they had a heels versus heels tag team match... and it was just... mesmerizing

Tennessee must be trying to set a record for most coaches turning down your job. What a cluster that program has become. What that fanbase did to Schiano on social media was criminal. The SEC as a whole is just insane with the coaching changes. Everyone thinks they deserve to be a national title contender every year. Delusional Rabid SEC Guy is hilariously pathetic.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 11-29-2017 at 06:02 PM.

1. That scenario was specifically discussed on the CFP show and several agreed that because of Clemson's extremely strong résumé
    Somehow Clemson seems to be the golden child. Yes, they are a good team. Let's not forget that Clemson lost to the last place team in their conference (2-6 Conference, 4-8 overall). Which of any of the top 10 teams can boast that. Yea, yea, yea, their quarterback was injured in the game. That shouldn't be the difference against a last place team. They definitely should be out if they lose.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Somehow Clemson seems to be the golden child. Yes, they are a good team. Let's not forget that Clemson lost to the last place team in their conference (2-6 Conference, 4-8 overall). Which of any of the top 10 teams can boast that. Yea, yea, yea, their quarterback was injured in the game. That shouldn't be the difference against a last place team. They definitely should be out if they lose.
    Yeah, I agree that loss seems to have been minimized because it was early, which is not unusual per se, but I don't like the "we take into account player injury" factor in trying to rank these teams. All teams have to deal with injuries, that is part of the game. How much depth you have to overcome injuries is part of evaluating how strong your team is, and the complexities involved in trying to account for every team's injuries during the course of the year would be overwhelming to a 13 person committee. They should stop even talking about that as any kind of excuse==the games are played and you take them as they stand. But, depending on how the other games shake out, Clemson does have a very strong overall resume and if the ACC Champ is a close loss, I guess its possible that a #1 ranked team does not fall back further than 4, especially if Auburn wins (2 loss team that Clemson beat), Ohio St wins (2 loss team) and TCU wins (2 loss team). So all I was saying is that its not likely, but its possible.

Yeah, I agree that loss seems to have been minimized because it was early, which is not unusual per se, but I don't like the "we take into account player injury" factor in trying to rank these teams. All teams have to deal with injuries, that is part of the game. How much depth you have to overcome injuries is part of evaluating how strong your team is, and the complexities involved in trying to account for every team's injuries during the course of the year would be overwhelming to a 13 person committee. They should stop even talking about that as any kind of excuse==the games are played and you take them as they stand. But, depending on how the other games shake out, Clemson does have a very strong overall resume and if the ACC Champ is a close loss, I guess its possible that a #1 ranked team does not fall back further than 4, especially if Auburn wins (2 loss team that Clemson beat), Ohio St wins (2 loss team) and TCU wins (2 loss team). So all I was saying is that its not likely, but its possible.
    Didn't they lose on a Thursday night. Now if it is hard for an NFL team to play Thursday, with football being the only thing in their life, think how tough it is for a college student to heal, practice and also go to school on a short week.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Didn't they lose on a Thursday night. Now if it is hard for an NFL team to play Thursday, with football being the only thing in their life, think how tough it is for a college student to heal, practice and also go to school on a short week.
    Weeknight games are tough for college teams. The Mid American conference plays all of their November games on weeknights due to the ESPN MACtion contract that the MAC has with the network. The games are nationally televised, but the teams play in front of empty stadiums, in crappy cold November weather, on weeknights. Everyone local hates it, but the contract runs for another dozen years from what I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It was a Friday night game. However, it's not like Clemson was playing on Friday and Syracuse was playing Saturday afternoon. If you're the #1 team in the country, you have to win that game. The game was in the middle of the season also and not in the beginning where teams may still be looking for their chemistry.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Clemson was not the # 1 team when they lost to Cuse, they were # 2, Bama was 1. Since Clemson lost that game to unranked Syracuse, the following has happened:

-Auburn lost to LSU
    -Ohio St got assraped by unranked Iowa
    -# 1 unbeaten Georgia got blasted by Auburn
    -unbeaten Miami lost to unranked Pitt
    -#1 unbeaten Bama lost to Auburn

In other words every team now ranked 2 thru 8 has lost except Wisc and Okla, and Okla lost the week before Clemson did to unranked Iowa St.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 11-30-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Well then, it's pretty clear that Bucky is #1. Raise your hand, everybody who believes that.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Well then, it's pretty clear that Bucky is #1. Raise your hand, everybody who believes that.
    Nope. OSU will always be number two in my heart

Based on BCS statistical analysis criteria they are already #1 as of Tues. Why they're #4 in the BCS rankings seems to be a bit of a contradiction (raises hand).

The BCS exists no more. It was replaced by the College Football Playoff. There are still the usual AP and coach's polls, as well as various computer rankings such as Sagarin, but no BCS rankings I'm aware of that matter. Clemson is ranked # 1 in the AP, coach's poll and CFP rankings.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/29/16561748/bcs-rankings-release-when-new-updated-today
    Last edited by DocProgger; 11-30-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Nope. OSU will always be number two in my heart
    Bucky is Bucky Badger, ie, Wisconsin.

Bucky, Brutus, who gives a shit? My hero's Rufus, who is Ohio University's mascot. Can't help it, I'm an alum. A few years ago, this happened:

Caused quite the hullabaloo, too, as it wasn't planned. All the OU students & alumni loved it; it's a classic David & Goliath scenario. But that still didn't stop OU from preventing a local merchant in Athens from selling these t-shirts:

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I had fun tripping at OU back in the sunny long ago. Good times.

Good school with a good student body, too. I find it amazing it has such a reputation for being a party school.

Funny thing is, I remember seeing an article in Playboy about 20 years ago that ranked the best places in the country for girl watching. High St & 15th Ave in Columbus ranked #1. That, of course, is directly across from Ohio State's campus.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Good school with a good student body, too. I find it amazing it has such a reputation for being a party school.
    I was there with a friend of mine at BG who was from Columbus, and whose ex-gf went to OU. It was Springfest '81, and I think the bands were Dixie Dregs, Dazz Band, and one or two others who I don't recall, but the info is online, 'cos I looked it up before.

It was a party school when I visited.

I was there with a friend of mine at BG who was from Columbus, and whose ex-gf went to OU. It was Springfest '81, and I think the bands were Dixie Dregs, Dazz Band, and one or two others who I don't recall, but the info is online, 'cos I looked it up before.

It was a party school when I visited.
    Partied with some Ohio U folks prior to the MAC championship game last year in Detroit. They were all cool and we had a good time. Ohio U is kind of in the same situation as Eastern Michigan here. Both schools have to live in the shadow of much bigger Big 10 programs just down the road. In EMU's case they are literally just a few miles from University Of Michigan. Ohio U should have won the MAC east again this year, but blew it down the stretch. Their coach, former Nebraska HC Frank Solich has always been a class act. I remember the whole mascot thing too......that did not show much class..........

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Their coach, former Nebraska HC Frank Solich has always been a class act.
    I wonder whether the Nebraska faithful are looking back and regretting running Solich out of town after a few 3 or even 2 loss years based on what's happened since. Always hard to follow a coaching legend.