Thread: Guru Guru Groove Band – The Birth of Krautrock 1969

Guru Guru Groove Band – The Birth of Krautrock 1969

Someone already posted this in the What's New forum, but I think it could use a bit more exposure. It reads very interesting at least. There is at least one sample out there, but I'm going to hold out and see what others say. It was released by Cleopatra a couple of days ago.

"This newly discovered gem documenting the inception of Krautrock finally sees the light of day courtesy of Guru Guru founding member of Mani Neumeier. This historically important release was recorded in a small studio in Heidelberg Germany 1969 with Neumeier and future Guru Guru member Uli Trepte as well as a host of guest musicians, taking loads of LSD, and performing a collective free style modal improvisation that would form the foundation of many Krautrock bands to come. Guru Guru were related to the free jazz music scene both through their work with Swiss pianist Irne Schweizer and through Neumeier, who had already won several jazz prizes. The band was also influenced by psychedelic rock artists, such as Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown, Rolling Stones and early Pink Floyd."

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    There are tracks on YouTube now.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Very interesting and very 'limited' recording quality.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    Someone already posted this in the What's New forum, but I think it could use a bit more exposure. It reads very interesting at least. There is at least one sample out there, but I'm going to hold out and see what others say. It was released by Cleopatra a couple of days ago.

"This newly discovered gem documenting the inception of Krautrock finally sees the light of day courtesy of Guru Guru founding member of Mani Neumeier. This historically important release was recorded in a small studio in Heidelberg Germany 1969 with Neumeier and future Guru Guru member Uli Trepte as well as a host of guest musicians, taking loads of LSD, and performing a collective free style modal improvisation that would form the foundation of many Krautrock bands to come. Guru Guru were related to the free jazz music scene both through their work with Swiss pianist Irne Schweizer and through Neumeier, who had already won several jazz prizes. The band was also influenced by psychedelic rock artists, such as Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown, Rolling Stones and early Pink Floyd."

not to forget Neumeiers work with pianist Wolfgang Dauner , this Dauner record from 1967 Free Action with Mani Neumaier, JL Ponty Eberhard Weber among others is announcing also things to come
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"