Thread: YES: Classic Artists documentary for those who haven't seen it

YES: Classic Artists documentary for those who haven't seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EfPCPqjoAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPsGfhQpUWg (part 2)

... I'm not sure how these things are allowed to be on Youtube in their entirety for anyone to watch for free, but other clips are muted and not allowed. Anyway, this is a fantastic documentary just like the Jethro Tull one. Highly recommended.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Great documentary - thanks much for posting it! I hadn't seen it before. Obviously this was done in 2007 or 2008 as it ends just before the next round of conflict occurred, i.e. Jon's illness and subsequent replacement.

Banned
    I got this on DVD when it came out- always one of my favs. Great interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Great documentary - thanks much for posting it! I hadn't seen it before. Obviously this was done in 2007 or 2008 as it ends just before the next round of conflict occurred, i.e. Jon's illness and subsequent replacement.
    Yes, you are right about that timeline. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    I got this on DVD when it came out- always one of my favs. Great interviews.
    As did I - and the Tull one too, every bit as good. I need to actually own these types of things because I can't count on them always being available on Youtube. I occasionally get a hankering to watch them. I'll even put one on while having dinner some evenings.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yes, I enjoyed this as well. Brought back memories of the late 60s, early 70's. Interesting to hear how the early days were like being part of the YES family.

Jim

This is great (well... I've only seen part one so far). Thanks for posting.

JJ88: are there just the four available then? I'd love to see more of these produced if they remain of this quality.

Pretty good -- and this from the guy who thought he'd seen everything about this band. Nice to hear from people like Phil Carson, Michael Tait, Eddie Offord and Peter Banks. It's also nice to see a bio that covers the post-YesYears, er... years.

But it's also interesting how Jon basically admits that he gave up trying to be the vision for the group after '79. IMO that's a big reason why the group foundered during the 90s and 00s. Though after watching that video you really realize how much the group was in constant turmoil from pretty much 90125 on.

And I'm sure he tried his best with Yes, but does Jon Brewer look greasy or what. Especially while he's obviously mentally navigating land mines talking about his time managing the band.

I also had to laugh at Chris' "Eye-gore" and Jon's "the guy who doesn't burn bridges, he blows them up!"

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I like 'Drama' and '90125' a lot because at least *somebody* is in the driving seat so there is a direction there. Subsequent albums have revealed a 'too many cooks' sort of scenario IMHO. 'Big Generator' doesn't sound like it was much fun to do. Again, I felt watching this, 'The Ladder' was the only time that there was any coherence, having a big-name producer calling the shots probably helped with that.
    Yeah, it's interesting how Steve all but says that without someone guiding the proceedings Yes are pretty much doomed in the studio. That's why it'll be very interesting to see who is brought in to help on the next one. I hope it's Trevor Horn but I'm not holding my breath.