Thread: Yacht Rock

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    "A bottle of red, a bottle of white...."
    Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    ^
    Fantastic song.
    I loathe that song.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 07-17-2016 at 10:40 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I used to work right next to a Parrothead. She went to see him every time he came to Louisville.
    I used to work right next to one too! Lazy SOB thought he was in Margaritaville 24/7, but he was in an office in Midtown Manhattan. He finally got fired for wasting away every friggin hour of the day, and he and his wife have been on disability ever since. F'ing parrothead bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If you've never heard Margaritaville I want to trade lives with you.

That's the only song of his I know though.
    I just jeard this piece of crap for the first time in my life a couple of minutes ago... yikes, that absolutely sucks freshly produced pig dung

What's that you got to trade??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    If you've never heard Margaritaville I want to trade lives with you.

That's the only song of his I know though.
    that's all you need to know
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I used to work right next to one too! Lazy SOB thought he was in Margaritaville 24/7, but he was in an office in Midtown Manhattan. He finally got fired for wasting away every friggin hour of the day, and he and his wife have been on disability ever since. F'ing parrothead bastard.
    I can see being a Parrothead as a disability...

Learned something new just now:

In the ten-year period 2002-2011, member clubs of the international Parrothead organization raised over $26.2M to support charitable organizations, and collectively worked almost 2.9 million hours of community service.

Since we are bashing Parrotheads, I will stand up and admit that I am one. I have seen Buffett at least a dozen times over the years and have all of his studio albums. Yea, he has written some drivel, but if you get into the meat of some of his better albums he has written a lot of really strong songs as well. Buffett puts on a 3 hour show and the Coral Reefer Band are all great musicians. His shows are pure escapist entertainment, and sometimes just drinking a few beers and having some fun is exactly what I want. Not unlike The Grateful Dead, the tailgate party in the parking lot before the shows is almost as much fun as the shows themselves. Buffett has it in is contract that the venues must allow several hours of tailgating or he won’t perform, and people go all out for it. In this day of overwrought parking lot security it harkens back to the days when I first started going to concerts. Yea, some of his fans can be obnoxious drunk assholes, but you can get that a metal shows too.

Yeah, the few Parrotheads that I've known all knew how to have a good time. I wouldn't call myself one, but I have several Buffett albums, and they're all good.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Since we are bashing Parrotheads, I will stand up and admit that I am one. I have seen Buffett at least a dozen times over the years and have all of his studio albums. Yea, he has written some drivel, but if you get into the meat of some of his better albums he has written a lot of really strong songs as well. Buffett puts on a 3 hour show and the Coral Reefer Band are all great musicians. His shows are pure escapist entertainment, and sometimes just drinking a few beers and having some fun is exactly what I want. Not unlike The Grateful Dead, the tailgate party in the parking lot before the shows is almost as much fun as the shows themselves. Buffett has it in is contract that the venues must allow several hours of tailgating or he won’t perform, and people go all out for it. In this day of overwrought parking lot security it harkens back to the days when I first started going to concerts. Yea, some of his fans can be obnoxious drunk assholes, but you can get that a metal shows too.
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, the few Parrotheads that I've known all knew how to have a good time. I wouldn't call myself one, but I have several Buffett albums, and they're all good.
    Yeah, personally not a fan, but I've never come across a Buffet fan who made me angry about them being a fan. I mean, shit, I'm a metal and prog guy. Have you met the fans that listen to that stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    that's all you need to know
    that's already 10 000 too much to know
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

April 7, 2005 -- I went to the (then) Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim, CA., to hang out with my friend who worked within the lighting crew for Buffett. He told me to arrive about 2pm so we could go grab some food across the street. When I got to the parking lot I was shocked that the lot was about 2/3 full. I parked and walked to the loading dock. Along the way, I was amazed at the amount of Parrotheads that were knee-deep in the party atmosphere. These weren't just dudes hanging out before a show. Uh-uh. These were some serious party people. Some paid for multiple parking spaces to set up. I saw no less than 3 full bars -- complete with barstools. Some had actual beach sand that they had shoveled out of their truck beds to portray an island setting. There were carnival-style games and huge sound systems pumping out Buffett tunes. Some of these fans were already drunk (and/or high), but the overall feeling was amazing. These fans were pros. They were very friendly. It took me about 20 minutes to get through the parking lot because I was walking around in a daze witnessing this spectacle. They definitely know how to party. Good for them!

Once I got into the venue, there were a dozen or so people blowing up beach balls with Buffett logos on them. My friend said the audience goes wild throughout the entire show and it's one big party from morning and through the night.

I didn't stay for the show, leaving just before doors opened.

Yeah, personally not a fan, but I've never come across a Buffet fan who made me angry about them being a fan. I mean, shit, I'm a metal and prog guy. Have you met the fans that listen to that stuff?

Yeah, growing up loving metal, especially 80s hair band & metal, I was the odd one out with short hair and non-metal wardrobe. Yet, I was happy about that.

do parrotheads crowd surf dressed as tacos?

ooooh....the last series of stories I heard from some guy at MDF....one is too x rated to tell here...

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    that's already 10 000 too much to know

To those bashing Parrotheads, I have three words for you: Insane Clown Posse. Kind of puts things in perspective, don’t it?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    April 7, 2005 -- I went to the (then) Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim, CA., to hang out with my friend who worked within the lighting crew for Buffett. He told me to arrive about 2pm so we could go grab some food across the street. When I got to the parking lot I was shocked that the lot was about 2/3 full. I parked and walked to the loading dock. Along the way, I was amazed at the amount of Parrotheads that were knee-deep in the party atmosphere. These weren't just dudes hanging out before a show. Uh-uh. These were some serious party people. Some paid for multiple parking spaces to set up. I saw no less than 3 full bars -- complete with barstools. Some had actual beach sand that they had shoveled out of their truck beds to portray an island setting. There were carnival-style games and huge sound systems pumping out Buffett tunes. Some of these fans were already drunk (and/or high), but the overall feeling was amazing. These fans were pros. They were very friendly. It took me about 20 minutes to get through the parking lot because I was walking around in a daze witnessing this spectacle. They definitely know how to party. Good for them!

Once I got into the venue, there were a dozen or so people blowing up beach balls with Buffett logos on them. My friend said the audience goes wild throughout the entire show and it's one big party from morning and through the night.

I didn't stay for the show, leaving just before doors opened.

Yup, that sounds pretty typical. Tailgating at Buffett shows is taken very seriously and many of the fans make it an art form. Typically he has it in the contract that parking lots have to open a minimum of 3 hours before ShowTime. I have seen him a couple of times at the Soccer Stadium in Chicago where they opened the lot at 7AM and heard that there were people already lined up to get in (we did not get there that early). It is really something hard to describe if you have never experienced it, but although I have been to many football and concert tailgates in my life, none of them compare to Buffett tailgates. I remember the first time I saw him in 94 at Pine Knob in Detroit and I had the same reaction when I first got there and saw the parking lot. My sister had won two tickets and a bus trip from a radio station. She could not find anyone else to go, so I went. When bus pulled into the parking lot and it was like going into another world. The whole lot was already packed and one big party full of pirate ships, shark fins, beach sand, tiki bars, beer and margaritas. We spent the next hour or so just walking around and checking all this stuff out. The show itself was an absolute blast as well. I got hooked and have seen him any times since then. The whole thing is the absolute opposite of prog, but I can live in both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    To those bashing Parrotheads, I have three words for you: Insane Clown Posse. Kind of puts things in perspective, don’t it?
    ICP is just way too easy to bash on though.

Does Pure Prairie League count as "yacht rock"?

No. Country Rock.

That's what I thought, but I am under the impression that this particular song, "Amie", had something to do with Kenny Loggins...

No

I've played Margaritaville (in a couple of bands) many times. I don't mind it. We also used to do Volcano (I think that's the full title). Goofy stuff, but I'm easily amused and we had fun with it.

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I've played Margaritaville (in a couple of bands) many times. I don't mind it. We also used to do Volcano (I think that's the full title). Goofy stuff, but I'm easily amused and we had fun with it.

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    Actually……the song “Volcano” by Buffett, was written about the (at the time) dormant volcano on the island of Monserrat. Tragically a few years later the volcano actually did blow and destroyed most of the island killing many inhabitants. Today much of the island is still a wasteland.