Thread: Universal Totem Orchestra - Mathematical Mother

Universal Totem Orchestra - Mathematical Mother

New Album out in September on Black Widow Records.

Same lineup as on "The Magus"

Reminding me again which band were they? There's like five different bands with the word "totem" in the name, and other than U Totem, I can never keep any of them straight in my head.

Sweet.

I'll be picking this up once one of the US vendors gets it in.

A new album? Awesome.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Reminding me again which band were they? There's like five different bands with the word "totem" in the name, and other than U Totem, I can never keep any of them straight in my head.
    Italian Zeuhl band, offshoot of another Italian Zeuhl band...Runaway Totem.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Yet neither are exactly Zeuhl either; rather they're a kinda cyber-goth-symph spacerock with prominent Zeuhl influence. Best I could do, sorry.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    That's not really accurate. The bassist and drummer for UTO played on the very first Runaway Totem album way back in 1992 but otherwise the two bands have nothing to do with each other.

Would you describe King Crimson as a "Mr. Mister offshoot" because Pat Mastelotto was a member of both bands?

Looking forward to this one!!
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

It's almost November but no news here... Does anybody have an update?

Quote Originally Posted by Silantyev View Post
    It's almost November but no news here... Does anybody have an update?
    According to Massimo Gasperini (one of the two lable bosses of Black Widow Records) it will be released in December now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    According to Massimo Gasperini (one of the two lable bosses of Black Widow Records) it will be released in December now.
    Cool! Looking forward to this one. Big fan of both Rituale Alieno and The Magus.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post

Would you describe King Crimson as a "Mr. Mister offshoot" because Pat Mastelotto was a member of both bands?
    Sure, but then, I would describe Mr. Mister as a Kiss offshoot, because their guitarist was one of the axeslingers who deputized for Ace on Creatures Of The Night.

Didn't see that one coming. Didn't know they were still together. Looking forward to this. The last two still get plenty of air time for me.

Painting that will be the basis for the album cover.

utomm.jpg

Out now!

uni.jpg

Auto buy!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

One of the best italian prog albums ever afaic... with nods to the first 2 as well.
    I think this should have broader appeal in the general prog community (more than their first 2)... a lot more fusion and prog and not quite as much zeuhl.
    Giorgio Golin, master drummer, navigates time changes effortlessly, and always keeps it swinging. Exceptional bass, guitar and keyboard playing. Ana is my fave prof rock singer. It's not just the notes she hits, but the saavy way she incorporates that beautiful voice in the setting of UTO music.
    I found that it takes a few listens for this band to fully grow on you. Now I know every second of music on all 3 albums... second to none for me. (btw, there's also a single they released "Lacrima di tempo"... just saw it on youtube one day...quite spectacular!!

Haven't heard this one yet. Love the first one, found the second one too much like Magma (which I mean, I get it, but in general if I want to listen to Magma I'll pull out Magma). If the third one has more of their own personality then I might want to pick it up.

Hey bro, how's things? There's definitely a few Zeuhlish licks on The Magus. However, generally speaking i don't find them a lot like Magma. Mathematical Mother definitely leans more to fusion and prog. That being said, they are a difficult band to get right off the hop. i thought they were Magma-like too, but the more I listened, the less it sounded like them. Except those very obvious homage riffs on Magus, which do sound like Magma. Give MM a good try, I'd be shocked if you didn't love it.