Thread: The Pineapple Thief - Live at the 013

The Pineapple Thief - Live at the 013

I love Britain's other PT, The Pineapple Thief. Bruce Soord and company have just released a download only from their web site of their November 30, 2012 concert recorded at the 013 in Tilburg Netherlands. It's a blistering performance and well worth the 7 pounds sterling or the $11.49 U.S. price. Anyone heard it yet?

http://www.pineapplethief.com/
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Wow, I posted this 3 weeks ago, and no love here for TPT? I don't get why more prog fans aren't into this great British band? I'm thinking that maybe leader Bruce Soord's lyrics are too dark, bordering on psychotic? But I know that there's lots of prog fans out there that like the dark side, so what's up folks? Besides this excellent live album, they are about to release a new EP. Any thoughts from anyone as to why this band isn't bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Wow, I posted this 3 weeks ago, and no love here for TPT? I don't get why more prog fans aren't into this great British band? I'm thinking that maybe leader Bruce Soord's lyrics are too dark, bordering on psychotic? But I know that there's lots of prog fans out there that like the dark side, so what's up folks? Besides this excellent live album, they are about to release a new EP. Any thoughts from anyone as to why this band isn't bigger?
    I love them.

I think they are very much appreciated in some areas. They have sold out of special edition All the Wars albums and are getting some great reviews world wide. So I do think the wider world is getting them.

Personally I do consider them prog in the same way I think PT, Anathema are also. But not in a widdley way.

And they certainly dont sound like a 1970's covers/tribute band.

no love here for TPT?
    They've always been on my "to check out someday" list.... just haven't gotten to it. Partly the sheer size of the discography makes it seem like such a big job just to get started.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    They've always been on my "to check out someday" list.... just haven't gotten to it. Partly the sheer size of the discography makes it seem like such a big job just to get started.
    Really all of their albums are great. The earlier ones are a bit more psychedelic/space and also have more acoustic guitar. The later releases are more alternative, with louder, more harsh electric guitar. All IMO fall within the modern prog realm. One of my early favorites is "Variations On A Dream." I'd highly recommend that one as a starting point, but anything you pick to start will be a winner.

And, just in case you are not aware...............137 is up for advance orders

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Seen them years ago in 013 and was underwhelmed.. That never changed.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

I got three of their CDs last year: All the Wars, Tightly Unwound, Someone Here is missing. Along with Big Big Train, this was my discovery of the year.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I bought All the Wars and What We Have Sown last year. I like them both. I'll probably pick up the new live album and the reissue sometime soon.

It's tough to figure out what bands will be big on Prog Ears and what ones won't. Big Big Train seems to the most popular of the newish, indie type prog bands, but even their threads never get up much past 3 or 4 pages. I think there are just a lot more fans of Genesis and Yes on this site, and it's those classic bands that most people like to talk about. There are people using PE to discover new bands like Pineapple Thief or Beardfish or Syd Arthur or whomever, but not as many who like to come here and talk about classic prog.

Is what it is and doesn't seem worthwhile losing sleep over it.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Yay! They're playing my town!

Just been told thier playing NOTP this year. Listened to a couple of thier tracks last night, very impressed.

Will pop along and see them in London in May

Really all of their albums are great. The earlier ones are a bit more psychedelic/space and also have more acoustic guitar. The later releases are more alternative, with louder, more harsh electric guitar. All IMO fall within the modern prog realm. One of my early favorites is "Variations On A Dream." I'd highly recommend that one as a starting point, but anything you pick to start will be a winner.
    As AncientChord said, "Variations of a Dream" is a good start (is my personal favorite) but, beware; the last three or four recordings are a completley differente beast. The beautiful constructed melodies of "Variations" and easy to the ears songs are almost completley gone in the last recordings. I think the use of a lot of harsh guitars and lot of heaviness will possibly are for a different kind of listener. Depending of which style your prefer (soft or heavy), you will prefer the first recordings or the last (imho). Buy there are others that will like both styles. In my case, they lost me since "Someone here is missing".

The more recent stuff is also not very appealing to me. I love "Variations" or "What we have sown", but not the newer heavier stuff. I also think Bruce's vocal delivery is a bit too samey in many of his songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Try 3,000 Days. It's a 2 disc retrospective of the band's material, covering all their albums and EPs before Someone Here Is Missing, and has been compiled, remixed etc by Soord himself.

http://www.pineapplethief.com/store/...&product_id=72

It was my intro to the band and very enjoyable - encouraged to buy all their other albums.

PS - lots of comments on the band's shop page about the new live download not working. Might be worth waiting a bit till it's sorted.

Just noticed that on the bands various facebook pages that, for the forthcoming UK tour, the band will be releasing a download of acoustic songs. You can get involved by choosing the songs. A link exists for voting.

Bought four CDs last year - my biggest discovery of last year along with BBT
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart