Page 95 of 160 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I get A&C along with The Honeymooners here late. I think Jackie was wrong about not doing more seasons. I read he felt they were running out of material.
    Probably my favorite TV show of all time. I grew up watching them on WPIX out of NYC. I have the full set on DVD and it still makes me laugh out loud. I assume you know that the Flinstones were a direct knock-off. I have the first few seasons of that, too. Great stuff.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Probably my favorite TV show of all time. I grew up watching them on WPIX out of NYC. I have the full set on DVD and it still makes me laugh out loud. I assume you know that the Flinstones were a direct knock-off. I have the first few seasons of that, too. Great stuff.
    And the Stones will be on METV starting Oct 1. I never thought of the relationship but you right.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Also, did you ever notice back in the day, that all three major networks had different soundscapes? Even the Picture for each was different.
    No, not that I recall. I know that shows often sounded different - and still do - but there are probably dozens of reasons for that: the mix, EQ, equipment, studios, etc. I know in the 30s & 40s, record companies had a signature sound envelope so maybe it was something similar. Who knows?

As for the picture, again, there could be a variety of reasons for that. I do remember that CBS's sitcoms (All in the Family, The Jeffersons, et al) had a distinctive look. But that's as much to do with the lighting and cameras they used as anything. Also, I discovered that when I switched to an HD wide screen TV that the effect of a show being shot in a studio was glaringly obvious. I don't notice it anymore since I've gotten used to it but initially it had the effect of pulling me out the story.

Something else I've noticed is that different networks or TV stations (not sure which) broadcast in different resolutions. My ABC and Fox stations are both in 720p whereas all the rest are in 1080i. Both are considered HD (altho, roughly half the resolution of 1080p, which is BluRay quality) so it's no big deal.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Yep. A big one. At least Joe Besser had some personality. He was hilarious on the Abbott & Costello Show.
    I'll give you such a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    No, not that I recall. I know that shows often sounded different - and still do - but there are probably dozens of reasons for that: the mix, EQ, equipment, studios, etc. I know in the 30s & 40s, record companies had a signature sound envelope so maybe it was something similar. Who knows?

As for the picture, again, there could be a variety of reasons for that. I do remember that CBS's sitcoms (All in the Family, The Jeffersons, et al) had a distinctive look. But that's as much to do with the lighting and cameras they used as anything. Also, I discovered that when I switched to an HD wide screen TV that the effect of a show being shot in a studio was glaringly obvious. I don't notice it anymore since I've gotten used to it but initially it had the effect of pulling me out the story.

Something else I've noticed is that different networks or TV stations (not sure which) broadcast in different resolutions. My ABC and Fox stations are both in 720p whereas all the rest are in 1080i. Both are considered HD (altho, roughly half the resolution of 1080p, which is BluRay quality) so it's no big deal.
    Well, I had always thought that NBC had the more clear and brightest picture. Everything, inside and out, was well lite. The sound was also clear and up front. CBS seemed to have a more washed out appearance. Color was not as vivid as NBC. Sound was alright. ABC, which I liked the best, had great contrast and a more natural color. But ABC had the best sound. Almost as if a type of chorus effect was added which I thought was cool. Even in reruns I notice the same thing. Watch some of the old ABC westerns such as Maverick or Cheyenne. If you listen, I think you will hear what I mean. Are you good at remembering what shows were on what network? Just a game I like to play while watching reruns.

The Big Clock. I watched it last night and today (fell asleep in the middle of it last night) on TCM's website. It's considered noir but the look isn't very noir-ish. The whole point of something being noir is that it's dark. Noir is French for black - the term "film noir" was coined by French critics to describe the crime "B" movies (and the occasional features) coming out of Hollywood that made more use of natural lighting, which is why they were dark. I guess I'm nit picking. The atmosphere of The Big Clock is in keeping with the tone of the genre so there's that. Charles Laughton is really good in it, of course, but I thought Ray Milland really shined. Elsa Lanchester is a hoot in it and Maureen O'Sullivan looked totally unfamiliar. Found out that the director was John Farrow, her husband (FYI, they're also the parents of Mia Farrow, the actress, and Prudence Farrow of "Dear Prudence" fame; Mia & Maureen were also both in the Woody Allen movie Hannah and Her Sisters). Henry Morgan plays Laughton's hired gun and he's effectively menacing; I don't think he has a single line it, tho. And there are some other actors in it I recognized but whose names escaped me at the time: George Macready, who I best remember as the asshole general in Paths of Glory and Douglas Spencer who was in the sci-fi classic The Thing (1951).

This is a good movie! If you missed it, you can still stream it from TCM's website until the 21st - two days from now!

Are you good at remembering what shows were on what network? Just a game I like to play while watching reruns.
    Of the ones I watched, sure. But only after the early '70s. Altho, I suppose if I thought about it, I could figure a lot out since the only clear channels we got were NBC and CBS. ABC was UHF and was often iffy or snowy. I'm not certain but I think they may have been lower wattage, too.

I think The High Chaparral was on NBC.
    The Wonderful World of Disney was on NBC, I think. I have this image of the NBC peacock just before the show started when Tinkerbell waved her wand.
    Not sure about My Three Sons.
    The Brady Bunch was on ABC. I think.
    All the Norman Lear sitcoms were on CBS and so were Carol Burnett, Mary Tyler Moore, MASH, Barney Miller, and The Waltons.
    Happy Days was ABC and I think Charlie's Angels was too.
    Columbo, MacMillan & Wife, and all those other shows were NBC, part of their Mystery Movies series.

I can't think of any others. How'd I do?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Great Hal, 100%. My Three Sons was also CBS. I think William Frawley left that show so he could appear on, I Love Lucy, which was also CBS. I remember Tinkerbell but not much else except I was told I was a little terror then.

A few more just for sport.
    Wagon Train
    Huntley/Brinkley (A trick question)
    Wild Wild West
    Captain Kangaroo
    Mr. Ed
    My Mother the Car

Great Hal, 100%. My Three Sons was also CBS. I think William Frawley left that show so he could appear on, I Love Lucy, which was also CBS. I remember Tinkerbell but not much else except I was told I was a little terror then.
    Bill Frawley was on I Love Lucy prior to My Three Sons.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Wow, it seems just the opposite. He looks younger on MTS. Good catch. I know that MTS had color episodes and ILL did not. Makes sense.

Trivia , What movie did William Frawley appear in that was a vehicle for the eternally beautiful Maureen O Hara?

Ron, speaking of, My Three Sons, don't you think we should discuss the life and times of one, Tina Cole? Very very nice.

Sorry Hal, will have to take back your 100%. Barney Miller was ABC. See the teacher after school.

He was Bud on MTS, wasn't he, and was replaced by William Demarest?

I doubt you'll find this interesting but I'll tell you anyway. When I was a kid, my mom and the woman across the street (Nancy) were good friends. They always reminded me of Lucy & Ethel because my mom had red hair and Nancy actually sounded like Vivian Vance.

A few more just for sport.
    Wagon Train
    Huntley/Brinkley (A trick question)
    Wild Wild West
    Captain Kangaroo
    Mr. Ed
    My Mother the Car
    Geez, I have no idea. I watched Capt Kangaroo as a kid and since it was clear, I'm gonna guess NBC.
    WWW I watched in reruns, so no idea.
    Huntley/Brinkley was NBC, I'm almost positive, because my dad quit watching Cronkite on CBS when Walter started reporting negative stats on the Vietnam war. How is it a trick question?
    No idea on the rest. They were all before my time.

And even tho it was also before my time, I'm pretty sure Leave it to Beaver was CBS, iirc. I've seen reference to it in the end credits.

So, Staun, what was Mannix, Cannon, Mission: Impossible, or The Mod Squad? The Smothers Brothers? Laugh-In?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Trivia , What movie did William Frawley appear in that was a vehicle for the eternally beautiful Maureen O Hara?
    I don't recall ever seeing him in a movie but I have a feeling that as soon as you say it, I'm going to remember it.

Sorry Hal, will have to take back your 100%. Barney Miller was ABC. See the teacher after school.
    No shit. I used to watch reruns of it every lunch hour last year. I would have sworn it was a CBS show; it sure seems like one.

Ron, speaking of, My Three Sons, don't you think we should discuss the life and times of one, Tina Cole? Very very nice.
    From the King Family, right?

I think Captain Kangaroo was CBS.

Frawley was in a ton of movies

He was Bud on MTS, wasn't he, and was replaced by William Demarest?

I doubt you'll find this interesting but I'll tell you anyway. When I was a kid, my mom and the woman across the street (Nancy) were good friends. They always reminded me of Lucy & Ethel because my mom had red hair and Nancy actually sounded like Vivian Vance.

Geez, I have no idea. I watched Capt Kangaroo as a kid and since it was clear, I'm gonna guess NBC.
    WWW I watched in reruns, so no idea.
    Huntley/Brinkley was NBC, I'm almost positive, because my dad quit watching Cronkite on CBS when Walter started reporting negative stats on the Vietnam war. How is it a trick question?
    No idea on the rest. They were all before my time.

And even tho it was also before my time, I'm pretty sure Leave it to Beaver was CBS, iirc. I've seen reference to it in the end credits.

So, Staun, what was Mannix, Cannon, Mission: Impossible, or The Mod Squad? The Smothers Brothers? Laugh-In?
    Oh, those are easy my friend. Mannix, Cannon, MI, The Smothers Brothers are all CBS. Mod Squad is ABC and Laugh-in is NBC. The trick with Huntley/Brinkley is, HB was NBC but Brinkley went over to ABC. The Captain was CBS. I know, These are a bit before my time to but I love the reruns of those shows. It was a different time and the world was different. Social elements began to come alive. I have heard about the blow back Cronkite was getting. I find that interesting because of the time frame. 1969 was incredible and the few years that followed.
    Last edited by Staun; 09-20-2019 at 02:46 PM.

From the King Family, right?

I think Captain Kangaroo was CBS.

Frawley was in a ton of movies
    Looking at her from the reruns, she was the perfect blonde beach bunny. She and Robbie got married on the show and had triplets. Been trying to find some interesting photos of her but not a lot of luck.

Speaking of Vivian Vance, check this out. Designer/fashionista Tim Gunn talks about meeting Vivian at the FBI headquarters while he was a little boy. The transcript is fine if you don't like to listen to the clip from the show but it's far better to hear Tim Gunn tell it, with his own sense of timing. I first heard this while driving and damn near had to pull over I was laughing so hard.

https://www.npr.org/2014/06/07/31942...rrible-fashion
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I remember seeing Frawley in a couple of low budget westerns but I can't seem to place him in a more serious role. Nycsteve, what do you have?

I don't recall ever seeing him in a movie but I have a feeling that as soon as you say it, I'm going to remember it.

No shit. I used to watch reruns of it every lunch hour last year. I would have sworn it was a CBS show; it sure seems like one.
    Love Barney Miller. Just saw the episode with the brownies. you know the one.

Oh, shit. I was wrong on that, too... sorta.

It was on CBS the first season and switched over to ABC for the remaining five ('58-'63). That's really strange because their last episode was a retrospective that showed clips from the first season (I thought networks rarely ever cooperated).

Jerry Mathers was really funny those first two or three seasons. Last year, I had several episodes backed up on my DVR so I tried to watch a bunch one night after... OMG, I only got through about two episodes because I kept having to pause it from laughing so hard. And then I'd rewind it a minute or two and start laughing all over again.

I remember seeing Frawley in a couple of low budget westerns but I can't seem to place him in a more serious role. Nycsteve, what do you have?
    He was the political fixer backing the judge in Miracle On 34th Street. He advises the judge how everything will go wrong if he presides over the trial that convicts Santa Claus , " and then you have the AFLCIO against you". Its more than a bit part.

Jerry Mathers was really funny those first two or three seasons. Last year, I had several episodes backed up on my DVR so I tried to watch a bunch one night after... OMG, I only got through about two episodes because I kept having to pause it from laughing so hard. And then I'd rewind it a minute or two and start laughing all over again.
    Too bad that, once his voice started to change, we learned he really couldn't act. I do love that show, especially the jargon, like having a "hunk of cake." Eddie Haskell, was a hoot.

Love Barney Miller. Just saw the episode with the brownies. you know the one.
    Barney: Have these tested!
    (Harris shoves one in his mouth)
    Barney: NOT THAT WAY!
    Leave it to Beaver
    Have you ever tried to explain why the scene in Airplane where Barbara Billingsley talks jive is funny to someone too young to even remember when Leave It To Beaver was in reruns?! Yeah, ok, I suppose it is funny just because she's an elderly white lady using urban vernacular. But I think it goes to another level when you realize this is the classic, quintessential, white bread, suburban TV mother we're talking about.

I do love that show, especially the jargon, like having a "hunk of cake." Eddie Haskell, was a hoot.
    The only episode I really remember is the one where Beav gets punched in the face by a girl. When Wally tells him that means she likes him, Beav ponders what she would have done if she didn't like him!

Oh yeah, and the one wehre they got stuck on top of the billboard with the giant coffee cup, because Eddie or somebody had them convinced that it was an actual giant cup of coffee or something.

I imagine you guys don't like Roseanne, but there's one episode where she's visited by all the classic TV mothers of the past, e.g. Mrs. Cleaver, Carol Brady, etc. When Roseanne mentions finding a bag of pot, Mrs. Cleaver asks, "What do you mean, 'a bag of pot'?". Rosie says, "Ya know, pot...grass...(still no reaction from Mrs Cleaver)...marijuana? (still nothing) Ask Eddie Haskel!". Suddenly, Mrs Cleaver understands and goes "Ohhhh!", like if something Eddie knows about, it must be bad!