Page 160 of 160 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160
Results 3,976 to 3,978 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

I like Ford. 3:10 To Yuma is classic, but Jubal isn't IMHO. All a bit stagey and melodramatic, particularly on Rod Steiger's part.

There's another Ford Western by the same director of both of these- Cowboy , which I watched earlier in the year. Far better than Jubal in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    and of course, Gilda (though there was a MAJOR distraction in Gilda - oh, that hair toss).
    That was the only bit in Gilda I liked that much. Take that scene out and there's not that much there IMHO. One of those noir films I didn't take to; all a bit glib.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I like Ford. 3:10 To Yuma is classic, but Jubal isn't IMHO. All a bit stagey and melodramatic, particularly on Rod Steiger's part.

There's another Ford Western by the same director of both of these- Cowboy , which I watched earlier in the year. Far better than Jubal in my view.

That was the only bit in Gilda I liked that much. Take that scene out and there's not that much there IMHO. One of those noir films I didn't take to; all a bit glib.
    Cowboy is kind of flat. The only reason I watch it is to see Jack Lemon in such a role. Jubal is a nice little piece of drama. It does have a flub though. In one scene you can see Steiger wearing a wrist watch.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Jubal is a nice little piece of drama. It does have a flub though. In one scene you can see Steiger wearing a wrist watch.
    Given how Steiger was a method actor, he probably did that to show that his character was from the future.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe