Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152 LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1277

Thread: New Zappa releases

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Though it doesn't obviously sound that way, the chord progression for this is absurdly complicated; it's like every jazz re-interpretation of every Great American Songbook tune mashed together. Even dedicated bebop players might find those changes tough to solo over without some preparation. One clue: When the second verse ("I don't regret having met up with a girl who....") begins, the music sounds like it has modulated up by at least a step. It hasn't. It's in exactly the same key, but - as in "The Song is You" by Jerome Kern - multiple modulations within the verse combine to create that illusion.
    Very interesting, I'll have a listen to that. I like all kinds of rythmich and harmonic "illusions"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Back when it came out in 2020, I bought the The Mothers 1970 box set, but I hadn't opened the shrink wrap until yesterday for some reason. Anyway, I didn't really know what to expect, but the studio disk is really good, and I listened to one of the disks of live excerpts and that sounded very good too. I didn't know if this box was going to have more of the earlier sound, with some doo-wop or something, or sound more like a newer Zappa, which is more what it is. I'm no Zappa scholar, so that's as much as I'll say. I'm glad I got the set and that I'm finally diving into it. And it came with a Mothers 1970 badge too! Thanks, Ahmet!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Back when it came out in 2020, I bought the The Mothers 1970 box set, but I hadn't opened the shrink wrap until yesterday for some reason. Anyway, I didn't really know what to expect, but the studio disk is really good, and I listened to one of the disks of live excerpts and that sounded very good too. I didn't know if this box was going to have more of the earlier sound, with some doo-wop or something, or sound more like a newer Zappa, which is more what it is. I'm no Zappa scholar, so that's as much as I'll say. I'm glad I got the set and that I'm finally diving into it. And it came with a Mothers 1970 badge too! Thanks, Ahmet!
    Yeah man, it's flippin great. It's the early version of Flo/Eddie, which is basically the Chunga's Revenge band. Jeff Simmons makes this one interesting, plus Duke is in the house!, and Aynsley is one of the most badass cats, I love his playing so much. FZ is several lifetimes worth of discovery.

btw Jed, this is worth watching...this guy is great and is a hardcore FZ fan.

The mention that there's a song about the Holocaust on the Mothers 1970 set got me thinking: are there any other prog songs that refer to that event? The one that comes to my mind is ELP's "The Only Way" (Can you believe God makes you breathe/Why did he lose six million Jews).

There are major non-rock works that reference it, like Steve Reich's "Different Trains". And there was John Zorn's "Kristallnacht" which I made the mistake of buying - I found it literally unlistenable. I get the idea behind it but do I really have to sit through it? (I much prefer Penderecki's Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima, FWIW.)
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

^^ "Dachau Blues" by Captain Beefheart

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    ^^ "Dachau Blues" by Captain Beefheart
    Shucks, forgot about that one. Of course.

^ Other songs/compositions that I can think of:

"Dachau Blues" (Captain Beefheart)
    "Red Sector A" (Rush; Peart)
    "Angel of Death" (Slayer)
    "A Survivor from Warsaw" (Arnold Schoenberg)

I'm sure there's more.

Bob Dylan's "With God on Our Side."

The Second World War came to an end
    We forgave the Germans, and then we were friends
    Though they murdered six million, in the ovens they fried
    The Germans now too have God on their side

This song's lyrics are about as powerful as they get. Blows me away every time I hear it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The Stranglers have “North Winds Blowing,” though it is not explicitly about the Holocaust but rather a commentary on the World Wars and the ramifications thereof.

I heard of two generations being murdered
    In a Europe that was shrouded in black
    I witnessed the birth pains of new nations
    When the chosen people finally went back
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

There's Pere Ubu's "The Final Solution", but that has nothing to do with the Holocaust (though it does contain the words "nuclear destruction").

I know some folks don't read the RIP thread so...

RIP Ed Mann (January 14, 1954 – June 1, 2024). A monster musician who was integral to FZ's soundworld after Ruth left.

^^ Bummer!

RIP.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I know some folks don't read the RIP thread so...

RIP Ed Mann (January 14, 1954 – June 1, 2024). A monster musician who was integral to FZ's soundworld after Ruth left.
    Aw man... R.I.P. Mr. Mann.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

I just blew away about half (probably more) of the Zappa albums I had ripped to iTunes. I was trying to organize it all under one heading/artist and for some reason I had four separate Zappa folders. This has been a situation brewing for years. Apparently when importing these albums they all have slightly different methods of listing the metadata so they'd end up in different folders, various genres, and often the artwork wouldn't load automatically or if it did was the wrong artwork. So while trying to get things organized I inadvertently right-clicked on an entire folder and edited the metadata in such a way that every track in that folder appeared to be on one gigantic album. There were like 50 track number ones, 50 track number twos, etc. And no way to simply hit "undo", lol.

Fortunately, my Zappa CDs are all on a shelf in my storage room and not boxed up like most of the rest of my collection. So I can slowly rip the (now) missing ones and try to make sure they all have the correct info from the get go, ending up in the right places.

But I do have to wonder who the sociopath was that decided to use such wildly inconsistent metadata for these. I want to say most of the releases of the last 10 years or so were less of an issue, but I'm pretty sure a couple of those were wacky as well.
    <sig out of order>

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Aren't most of the sources of music metadata pulled from crowdsourced sites? I just cleaned up an album (Lumpy Money) I have ripped on my NAS that kept mentioning "Hmrk remix" in some of the track names alongside other tracks that were marked "Umrk remix". They all now say "UMRK remix".

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Aren't most of the sources of music metadata pulled from crowdsourced sites? I just cleaned up an album (Lumpy Money) I have ripped on my NAS that kept mentioning "Hmrk remix" in some of the track names alongside other tracks that were marked "Umrk remix". They all now say "UMRK remix".
    I'm not really sure. I always assumed, when I'm ripping something that has just barely been released, that the artist is the one who has entered all that info somewhere (or sometimes has NOT entered that info). But that was just my assumption.
    <sig out of order>

I think it is crowd sourced, yes.

^Every once in a while, Apple Music will ask me if I’d like to enter info for a CD before I rip it. I figure that means I’m one of the first people to rip it.

It’s a big responsibility!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

One time I uploaded a CD of The Faust Tapes (which was a single 40 minute track) and iTunes gave me two options for identifying the disc - it thought it could be either The Faust Tapes or some CD of a church service which was also a single track of the same length.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^Every once in a while, Apple Music will ask me if I’d like to enter info for a CD before I rip it. I figure that means I’m one of the first people to rip it.

It’s a big responsibility!
    I have never depended on Internet-based CD databases. And I don't even depend on the metadata stored with purchased CDs or Amazon downloads. Part of the ritual for adding music to my library includes careful setting of the metadata.

To be sure, I have my own policies for what goes in the metadata fields, particularly Artist and Album Artist. Since my music library (in Media Jukebox) is alphabetized by Album Artist field, I always use "last name first" format (e.g. "Gabriel, Peter"), but for Artist, which shows while the track is playing, I use "first name first" (e.g. "Peter Gabriel"). The exception is for classical: I use the composer's "last name first" name in both instances. Also for classical, the Album field is replaced with performer info because that's what I want to see while the track is playing; the Album is almost always irrelevant to me in that case.

I also fill in the Keywords and Notes fields. For Keywords I will identify instrumental tracks and Christmas-related tracks because I have playlists that use that information. Notes I fill in with detailed performer and recording info (primarily for classical and jazz).

Year (release date) I delete unless the track was released as a single, in which case I supply the year the single was on the charts. That's also for the benefit of my own playlists.

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    To be sure, I have my own policies for what goes in the metadata fields, particularly Artist and Album Artist.
    Especially with classical music. Typically the artist field shows the performer(s), which makes perfect sense, but I want to be able to see and sort it by composer.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I always jam the track number on the front of the title so that our 11 year old car doesn't play an album in alphabetical order by track name.

There was a Pat Metheny CD a few years back that was alphabetical by track name because he heard it that way by accident and decided to keep it.