Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast

Thread: The RIP Thread

Farewell to Doug Ingle, the last remaining member of the classic Iron Butterfly lineup. He was the lead singer and the main songwriter, as well as providing that iconic Vox Continental organ sound. Saw them live in 1969, my first concert.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Sad news. I think I have all their albums, including the last 2 without him.

RIP, yeah, listen to Iron Butterfly today ever so often. They had a unique SF psychedelic sound that appealed to me.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Doug.
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    RIP, yeah, listen to Iron Butterfly today ever so often. They had a unique SF psychedelic sound that appealed to me.
    I recently played all their albums. Have In-a-gadda-da-vida on vinyl and if I play it, I can see me sitting in the livingroom of my parents with a book on model-trains.

If I read their Wikipedia-page, they had a lot of line-up changes, mostly in the time when they were appearently only a live-band for reunionconcerts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    RIP Richard Sherman (Disney composer)
    https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/rem...ard-m-sherman/
    That EVIL "It's A Small World After All!" composer.......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I recently played all their albums. Have In-a-gadda-da-vida on vinyl and if I play it, I can see me sitting in the livingroom of my parents with a book on model-trains.

If I read their Wikipedia-page, they had a lot of line-up changes, mostly in the time when they were appearently only a live-band for reunionconcerts.
    Last time l looked Dave Meros from Spock's Beard was their bass player. May still be.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Last time l looked Dave Meros from Spock's Beard was their bass player. May still be.
    According to the Wikipedia page, he still is. They look more like a tribute act, with no members that played on any album.

According to the Wikipedia page, he still is.
    The band has been inactive since Ron Bushy died in 2021. He had owned the name although he was no longer a touring member.

According to the Wikipedia page, he still is. They look more like a tribute act, with no members that played on any album.
    That's almost like Tangerine Dream but at least TD have put out a few new albums (post EF) in the past few years.

I read that recently about Dave Meros being in IB but forgot until just now. Thanks for the reminder.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    That's almost like Tangerine Dream but at least TD have put out a few new albums (post EF) in the past few years.
    Or like Blood, Sweat & Tears, who have gone through, I think, literally hundreds of members over the years, with the longest serving current member having joined in 2010. They haven’t made an album since 1980. As with Iron Butterfly, the band name is controlled by the original drummer.

I read that recently about Dave Meros being in IB but forgot until just now. Thanks for the reminder.
    That's were I would put the difference between a band and a tribute band. If a group goes on and record new material, with no original members, well one could consider it still the band. But if it's just playing old stuff and not recording anything new, one might consider it a tribute band, if there are no original members involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The band has been inactive since Ron Bushy died in 2021. He had owned the name although he was no longer a touring member.
    Amazing that Ingle didn't control the band, as he was the main writer

Just went to look up IB on RYM, yessss, that could be a record for membership

That's were I would put the difference between a band and a tribute band. If a group goes on and record new material, with no original members, well one could consider it still the band. But if it's just playing old stuff and not recording anything new, one might consider it a tribute band, if there are no original members involved.
    I'm not sure I'd want to make a difference between the status of IB, BS&T and TD respective corporations, even if the Butterfly is hibernating.

Not interested to check out any of those three anymore, even if they played in my backyard.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Amazing that Ingle didn't control the band, as he was the main writer

Just went to look up IB on RYM, yessss, that could be a record for membership

I'm not sure I'd want to make a difference between the status of IB, BS&T and TD respective corporations, even if the Butterfly is hibernating.

Not interested to check out any of those three anymore, even if they played in my backyard.
    Depends on the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Or like Blood, Sweat & Tears, who have gone through, I think, literally hundreds of members over the years, with the longest serving current member having joined in 2010. They haven’t made an album since 1980. As with Iron Butterfly, the band name is controlled by the original drummer.
    It's funny you mention B,T,S&T because I was thinking about them and how they had Bo Brice (from American Idol) for a while. But as you say they were sort of a tribute band version of their former selves. I guess Yes is lucky they are putting out new albums because otherwise they could definitely be accused of that also.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, NBA Hall of Famer Bill Walton, 1952-2024.

Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Your loss. The current iteration of Tangerine Dream is still great.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post

I just found out about this by accident. I knew he was a big (in the most literal sense also) Dead Head. He also meditated so he gets points in my book for that too. Anyway, RIP Bill Walton.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Your loss. The current iteration of Tangerine Dream is still great.
    It's actually better than several of the prior iterations going back a long way.

It's funny you mention B,T,S&T because I was thinking about them and how they had Bo Brice (from American Idol) for a while. But as you say they were sort of a tribute band version of their former selves. I guess Yes is lucky they are putting out new albums because otherwise they could definitely be accused of that also.
    I don't consider it an accusation. But if you only play old material of the original group, without releasing an album with new material, you are a tribute-act.
    The Analogues are a Beatles tribute, though they have also made an album with original material.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post

Huge Bill Walton fan. Growing up he and Pistol Pete Maravich were my favorite basketball players. Bill was a great entertainer. I read his autobiography and the ESPN 30 for 30 on him was fantastic.

RIP big fella.

According to Facebook posts from several people who knew him, Ed Mann (best known as Frank Zappa's percussionist from 1977 to 1988) has died, reportedly of cancer. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    According to Facebook posts from several people who knew him, Ed Mann (best known as Frank Zappa's percussionist from 1977 to 1988) has died, reportedly of cancer. RIP.
    Chad Wackerman posted it on his Offical Facebook-site too: https://www.facebook.com/chadwackerman/?locale=nl_NL
    Currently playing Ed's first album for CMP, Get Up, from 1988.
    I also have Perfect World form 1990 (my favourite) and Have No Fear from 1996.
    RIP.

RIP Ed...honestly he was as good as Ruth on mallets imo. He played FZ's music quite accurately.