Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stickmen - Deep

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar

Stickmen - Deep

Tony Levin's little project. Do some of already you have this new album? How is it?
    I'm going to their gig this sunday and I might pick it up. Curious to know what I can expect (Okay, I sorta know what to expect.. didn't buy tickets for nothing )
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Ach! I forgot about this. I have to pick it up.

I do have their last album, Open. Based on a thread I started when I picked it up last spring, it's the less popular than getting kicked in the nuts. Anyway, I recommend it.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    Tony Levin's little project.
    Little point of contention. I'd say this is as much Tuner (Reuter/Mastelotto) as it is Levin now. This is especially evident on Open.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I need to pick the last two up, I've only got the first one so far. How do the next two compare?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Little point of contention. I'd say this is as much Tuner (Reuter/Mastelotto) as it is Levin now. This is especially evident on Open.
    Yeah, but I was too tired to write all the names
    HuGo

Just a point of interest, the physical cd/dvd of Deep hasn't been released yet. Digital files of the cd have been made available to project backers. With the trio on tour, I'm not sure when the actual discs will be available.
    That aside, I backed the project and have had the chance to listen several times. Overall I enjoy this disc. but I find it somewhat less compelling than say...Open. To me it doesn't seem cohesive, but overall I like it.
    Based on the video of their recent Frankfort show http://liveweb.arte.tv/fr/video/stickmen_terrybozzio/, run... do not walk to an opportunity to see these guys live.

Hopefully they have some at the gig.
    HuGo

IMO this band's work and Gunn's KTU are the only two acts carrying the Crimson torch...Belew and (arguably) Wilson while still good are ultimately just having a whole death by nostalgia thing i find.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    IMO this band's work and Gunn's KTU are the only two acts carrying the Crimson torch
    I'd argue that there's a Crimson genre out there now. Mastelotto, Gunn, Levin and Belew are obviously moving forward with Crim like music. Add in Reuter. Then there's non-Crim bands like Herd of Instinct that have very definite Crim touchstones.

Belew's side albums are all very good. So is e. They don't sound nostalgic to me. A nice blend of Crim angularity and Belew pop madness.

I'd argue that there's a Crimson genre out there now. Mastelotto, Gunn, Levin and Belew are obviously moving forward with Crim like music. Add in Reuter. Then there's non-Crim bands like Herd of Instinct that have very definite Crim touchstones.
    Yup I pretty much feel the same way
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Belew's side albums are all very good. So is e. They don't sound nostalgic to me. A nice blend of Crim angularity and Belew pop madness.
    Honestly i haven't made it through all of e...i end up with a splitting headache (it's a bit TOO repetitive for me)...and a lot of it has echoes of other Crim songs...ones i remember off hand were CoL and Red.

I went searching for a place to order this. I guess it's not available yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Honestly i haven't made it through all of e...i end up with a splitting headache (it's a bit TOO repetitive for me)...and a lot of it has echoes of other Crim songs...ones i remember off hand were CoL and Red.
    Trio version of orchestra version? e with Orchestra outclasses, in every way (besides no Julie Slick!) the original trio version of the piece. Awesome stuff and more than a little Zappa-y.

Have to agree that Levin, Mastellotto and Gunn in their various incarnations, groupings and side projects continue to carry the Crimson torch forward boldly into the 21st century.

I went searching for a place to order this. I guess it's not available yet?
    You may still be able to order from their pledge page, even though the goal was reached. You can take a look HERE.

I'm really enjoying this release. Better than the last, which I also liked, but was more along the lines of the Tuner projects. This one is more like what they were doing on "Soup".

...Just received an update because I had pledged the project and the official release is going to be in February.
    Last edited by Polska; 11-09-2012 at 09:07 PM.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    ...Just received an update because I had pledged the project and the official release is going to be in February.
    Rats. Guess I'm waiting b/c the pledge page no longer orders anything.

Should've pledged.

Oh well.

So what do you guys think? Have you bought it yet?
    The gig was great and the CD is too!
    HuGo

This is really good album. I think it is the best Stick Men album so far.

Still need to buy this.
    Ian

Received an email yesterday from Pledge that my Deluxe CD/DVD Edition copy is on it´s way to me.

They're taking orders at Papabear.

http://www.papabear.com/store/store.html

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    How do the next two compare?
    I suppose you mean the next three?

I for one say they've gotten better every time. Soup was basically a continuation of Tony's solo album with more ProjeKcty group interplay at work.... mostly familiar, mostly solid and showing some potential (and a good way to break in the new band). As much as I like it, I feel Markus made a much better fit than Michael; he has more of a Crimson sensibility to go with that forward-thinking edge. Absalom was a good step forward--nice and eclectic even in EP size, a shade heavier, better produced and the vocal numbers (always their weak spot) are a little more solid. Open probably shouldn't be judged as a 'proper' album since it was based all around improvs, but I love it too and it explores that side very nicely. It's more groovy, less heavy, with a little more than the usual proportion of abstract noisy jams, but a good grower.

Deep is my favorite, though. It shows that whole range better than any of the previous discs, the engineering is superb, the grooves kick more and the quiet parts are as pretty as ever, and there's only one song with words (which I think is their strongest). To me it seems like the ideal culmination of what they've been doing from the start.

Open is still my favorite. It sounds more like a chaotic, groovy Tuner improv album than a Stick Men album, so I guess I like chaotic, groovy Tuner improvs more than Stick Men compositions.

But I'll agree that this is the culmination of what the original trio began with Soup.

Shit, it's just really nice to hear Mastelotto playing on an album. It seems like he hasn't been doing too much lately. I'd love to hear another TU (or, even better, KTU) album in the future.

Oh. And here's something: Tony Levin is 67.

Shit, it's just really nice to hear Mastelotto playing on an album. It seems like he hasn't been doing too much lately.
    Hopefully you didn't miss the latest Naked Truth album "Ourobouros". Great stuff and brilliant playing by Mastelotto.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I just ordered this. Looking forward to it. I quite enjoyed Soup and would love to see that style developed (which based on comments above sounds like it has).
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.