Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts

Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts

This one snuck up on me. Released today worldwide, this is the Swedish band's latest delve into glorious doom and gloom.

They have a new guitarist and drummer, so it should be interesting to see how that changes their sound (if at all).

The CD version comes with a DVD 5.1 version of the album and a media book set with a 24 page color booklet.

I listened to it this morning and really thought it's fantastic. I can't wait to give it some more spins!

Old man of prog
    About 3/4 through my first listen and I'll say it's the album to beat for 2016 at least until Big Big Train comes out.

Jonas Renkse's voice is sublime.

Listened to it in 5.1 last night and on the headphones just now. It's a real winner. Very textured and layered and plays well to Renske's style of singing. Definitely a progressive move forward for Katatonia.

It's an amazing album. Very 'accessible' too. A good album for people who haven't heard Katatonia yet.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    One of my favorite bands. Can't wait to get this new album.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Old man of prog
    Now on my 4th time. Tracks # 3, 4, 5, and 6 are ridiculous

Lovely album. Here's a review from The Prog Aspect:-

http://theprogressiveaspect.net/blog...all-of-hearts/

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    About 3/4 through my first listen and I'll say it's the album to beat for 2016 at least until Big Big Train comes out.

Jonas Renkse's voice is sublime.
    +1
    One of the picks for 2016

I bought the digibook edition at FYE last Friday. Great album! It's accessible without being a sellout or sacrificing the prog element and the song themes are still dark but without being depressing as most of their discography. My faves so far are "Takeover", "Decima", "Sanction", "Residual", and "Last Song Before the Fade". But the whole record is great and flows nicely. I agree with the other posters, a strong contender for best of 2016.

Pleasant band, heard some songs today...this'll probably gets some harumphs but sort of Opeth-lite.

Well..Opeth and Katatonia share some roots (Akerfeldt played on some early Katatonia, if memory serves, plus they both did Bloodbath together).

I personally prefer how Katatonia has evolved; they have progressed and become more adventurous with their songwriting but without completely discarding the metal aspects of their sound. Opeth is (IMHO) too busy playng make believe that they are in 1973 for my tastes. Let's see which of us gets more harumphs for our blanket statements
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Well..Opeth and Katatonia share some roots (Akerfeldt played on some early Katatonia, if memory serves, plus they both did Bloodbath together).

I personally prefer how Katatonia has evolved; they have progressed and become more adventurous with their songwriting but without completely discarding the metal aspects of their sound. Opeth is (IMHO) too busy playng make believe that they are in 1973 for my tastes. Let's see which of us gets more harumphs for our blanket statements
    It seems to me this album has more 'vintage' sounding keyboard flourishes and less of the electronic edge the past two have had. Also there is quite a bit of acoustic guitar on here, so I think Katatonia is looking back further to move forward. While I somewhat agree Opeth is entrenching themselves in an older period sound, there is is some pretty involved songwriting that I don't think Katatonia ever reaches. Their music is more about arrangements and textures to me. Having said that, I have listened to The Fall Of Hearts 4 times now and am pretty sure this might become my favorite Katatonia album.

Yeah...neither of the last two Opeth albums did anything for me. The last one that really won me over was Ghost Reveries. So, full disclosure
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Yeah...neither of the last two Opeth albums did anything for me. The last one that really won me over was Ghost Reveries. So, full disclosure
    I enjoy the '70s' Opeth albums, but Ghost Reveries is still my favorite album of theirs.

Anyway... I hope the new Katatonia wins over some new fans because it really is fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I enjoy the '70s' Opeth albums, but Ghost Reveries is still my favorite album of theirs.

Anyway... I hope the new Katatonia wins over some new fans because it really is fantastic!
    Yep....you're a metal brotha and I know it

I am definitely liking the new Katatonia too...my own personal peak from them is 'Night is the New Day' but this one is definitely growing on me.

An article in Billboard magazine. They are getting a little too popular for me to like now.

Katatonia's Anders Nystrom: 'When We Get to Do Our Darkness, That's When We're Happy

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...arts-interview

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Pleasant band, heard some songs today...this'll probably gets some harumphs but sort of Opeth-lite.
    That's how I felt about them a couple of albums ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    That's how I felt about them a couple of albums ago.
    Literally the same vocal melodies in every song...

Old man of prog
    ...but damn that melody is fantastic!

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    This one I couldn't get permission for for Progstreaming, but it's still featured at Progstreaming Extended, right here: http://progstreaming.com/extended/pa...%20Of%20Hearts

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I hear that too, though to be fair, this seems to be pretty common in this particular genre.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

At least the band seems aware of this quirk and tries to compensate with layered harmonies to give the songs some added melodic force. This is especially evident on "Old Hearts Fall," where some subtle keys accompany the vocals in the first section and are joined later by guitars, keys and (simulated?) strings.

Overall, this is an exceptional release to my ears. The attention to songcraft really comes across in this crisply produced disc. The changes in texture/instrumentation throughout each song never sound contrived or out of sorts with what's come before. There are none of the sometimes annoying stops/starts signaling tempo changes or other prog flourishes that sometimes mar releases in this genre. I don't know if it's the best of 2016 so far, but it's certainly high up on my list. Maybe I just need to give it a few more spins...

To me it's just one flat-lined pleasant song, no dynamics production-wise, just one smooth ride...not saying that's a bad thing...in fact, i end UP feeling catatonic, ohhh.

Here's my review of the album:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....f-hearts-2016/

Feel free to leave any comments on the blog post - I've disabled login requirements etc.